Client dog on a guided hunt

What is the standard for bringing your own dog on a guided waterfowl hunt? I’m looking to go on a hunt in the next couple years and not opposed to going guided but if the dog can’t go I’m not thrilled about going. (Translation- the wife won’t be thrilled about me leaving the dog at home)

KurtR

WKR
What is the standard for bringing your own dog on a guided waterfowl hunt? I’m looking to go on a hunt in the next couple years and not opposed to going guided but if the dog can’t go I’m not thrilled about going. (Translation- the wife won’t be thrilled about me leaving the dog at home)
Some allow some don’t. I have a hrch mh dog and when looking in Arkansas and even have pro trainers who would vouch for my dogs some still would not allow it. I even said I won’t even shoot the first day and just run my dog. I was pretty specific wanting to hunt green timber so not a lot of options.

Oregon

WKR
It may depend on who is hunting with you. If it's a mixed hunt(people not in your party) it's usually a hard no. You can vouch for the dog, but most retriever owners embellish the dog's ability and blind etiquette. They won't take the chance of your dog ruining a hunt where people paid a lot of money.
I've never been on a guided duck hunt, but the only way I would consider bringing my own pup is if guide asked me to. Same with hunting with buddies, if I get invited to hunt a spot, I'd never bring my dog if they already have it covered.
If your wife isn't able to watch a dog for a few days, well, I'm not sure what to say except maybe kennel the dog.

KurtR

WKR
Having enough people to fill your own private group will give you a better chance. We had enough people who would go but even with that some outfitters don’t allow client dogs. I don’t fault them one bit for that even hunting around here I have told people to put there dogs up that break and I would rather have them pissed at me than see a dog get shot.

revoked

FNG
Limited experience with only two guided hunts, but both allowed us to bring dogs. This latest we elected not to because we thought we’d be in a group with others. Turned out it was just and the guide, wish we had brought our dogs. Guide dog on day one was horrible.

OP
Marchbrown
Thanks for all the answers. I’ll definitely have to talk to the outfitter we end up going with and see what they have to say

Private field and group most of the time the dog is allowed, but be prepared to put him in the truck if he is hindering the hunt in anyway. I get it I take my dog everywhere. He sits in the truck a lot when we hunt as well out of respect for the guides. When you hire a guide we put everything into the hunt including the dog. We are a team and that works best. Part of hiring a guide is something you can’t, won’t, or aren’t able to do on your own most of the time. We get it every dog is the best dog out there and you’re not wrong. It’s a touchy subject and it’s getting worse. The group I guide for went to a no client dogs no exceptions this last year. Just too many hiccups and then guys getting upset and causing problems because their dog wasn’t ready.

OP
Marchbrown
Private field and group most of the time the dog is allowed, but be prepared to put him in the truck if he is hindering the hunt in anyway. I get it I take my dog everywhere. He sits in the truck a lot when we hunt as well out of respect for the guides. When you hire a guide we put everything into the hunt including the dog. We are a team and that works best. Part of hiring a guide is something you can’t, won’t, or aren’t able to do on your own most of the time. We get it every dog is the best dog out there and you’re not wrong. It’s a touchy subject and it’s getting worse. The group I guide for went to a no client dogs no exceptions this last year. Just too many hiccups and then guys getting upset and causing problems because their dog wasn’t ready.
Thank you for the well written explanation. I will say this is my first dog and I hope when the time comes to look at it and ask if it’s ready I can be honest with myself. I’ve seen some other dogs in action that are great some days and have some not so great days as well.

Thank you for the well written explanation. I will say this is my first dog and I hope when the time comes to look at it and ask if it’s ready I can be honest with myself. I’ve seen some other dogs in action that are great some days and have some not so great days as well.
Absolutely, the biggest thing to remember is they are creatures just like us. They have good days and bad days. I have a MH dog that will act like a 6 month old puppy once or twice a season. Greatest pain in the ass ever lol. So much so I just got another puppy to start the process all over again. Good luck with the training!

Rule No 1. Keep your call in your pocket and your dog at home unless asked to do otherwise…