Layering - October in Colorado

So I’m doing my first elk hunt in Colorado in October and I’m trying to nail down my layering system. Would love some feedback on how this might work:

Under Armour 2.0 base pants
Midweight fleece base pants
Wrangler Tech pants or Prana Brion

Minus33 merino base shirt
Midweight Icebreaker full zip shirt
Cabela’s insulator vest
MidwayUSA Alverstone down jacket

Cabela’s Space rain pants and jacket

Darn Tough OTC Hunter socks
Poly liner
Danner Pronghorn 400 boots
OR Crocodile gaiters

Anything I should consider switching out or adding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Instead of the fleece pants I would recommend puffy pants. When your walking that fleece may get pretty hot. With puffy pants just have them in your pack then put them on over your pants when you stop for a while. They are heavenly.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
400 gram insulated boots might be a bit warm for October; they definitely would be for me- w/ a goretex boot, wool socks and gaiters I'm good into the teens, especially on the move

I'm a huge fan of windshirts- a breathable outer layer that resists wind and lighter precip, the best 5-7 ounces I ever pack- year round

some other possible additions- lightweight gloves and mitts that can be worn over the gloves along with a lightweight beanie and a midweight balaclava

OP
Crucible02
I do have two pairs of gloves (insulated wool mitts and fingerless wool gloves) a neck gaiter, and fleece beanie. I just forgot to add those into my list. Hunting deer in Georgia, the quickest way to get cold is by not covering your hands, neck and head. I assume that principle applies in Colorado, too! Haha!

I would love to add puffy pants but those suckers sure aren’t cheap! I’m sure I could put them to use here in Georgia too though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

OP
Crucible02
As far as the boots... it’s either that or some GoreTex hiking boots. Maybe I can take both and see what works best.

I’m wearing gaiters so maybe I don’t need boots quite as tall as the Danners. The hikers have better ankle support even though they are lower cut.

Jimss

WKR
I would agree about 400 boots. I work outside in Colo all winter and never wear insulated boots. I bought boots about 1/2 size larger so I can cinch them down with light socks when it's warm or add a thicker sock when cold. I like Cabelas microtex shirts. Sitka base layer shirt, Sitka 90 jacket with pitzips. A thinsulate vest. Sitka Rain jacket/pants....jacket with pitzips. A thick and thin base layer bottoms (Patagonia or sitka work well). Sitka 90 pants (or similar). Neck gator, some sort of thinsulate gloves and I'm set for a week in the hills!