Layering question

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Last year I took the plunge and purchased a kit consisting of Sitka and first lite.

Honestly I was a bit underwhelmed. The kit itself has held up well condition wise. However I found myself cold during rifle bear and rifle deer. Admittedly it was a pretty calm and warm winter in pa. With that all being said I knew some tinkering would be required. That is why I come to you with some questions today.

My current set up consists of the following:

First lite- kiln upper and lower (I’ve used this as a base layer)

First lite obsidians Marino pants (I walk in with these)

First lite klamath quarter zip.

I then have Sitka stratus vest, pants, and jacket that I put on when I arrive to my location.

The issue I have is my hunting spots are not short walks. I hunt public land and can easily walk .5-1.5 miles to get to where I plan to hunt. Mostly up hill. I have successfully solved looking like the Michelin man walking in which has helped some with not sweating as much but that is still somewhat of an issue

I have found that I sweat wearing just the first lite base layers and pants. It has come to my attention that you should wear a wicking baselayer under the Marino base layer. Is this true? If so the sweating issue should be an easy fix.

I wasn’t real impressed with the kalmath quarter zip is there anything else that will help me there?

I did purchase the Sitka ambient jacket as I learned the stratus isn’t much insulation. Do you think this should help?

Finally I experimented with the first lite obsidian Marino pants last year in dry earth. Not once did I get picked off by a deer. I find them to be ultra comfortable. I am thinking of changing out the stratus pants which I wore over top of the first lite pants and trying the catalyst foundry pants. Will this route be productive to keeping me a bit warmer?

I appreciate any input as I try to buy these items when they are on a massive sale and I assume that sale is coming soon.

Thank you for any and all advice

I'm not sure there's any way to stay warm of you can't stop the sweating. You may have to slow down your walk and take longer. Start your hike off freezing and if you heat up too much slow down.

An important technique is shedding clothes to the point you’re slightly on the cold side while doing strenuous things, reducing sweating as much as possible.

An important technique is shedding clothes to the point you’re slightly on the cold side while doing strenuous things, reducing sweating as much as possible.
That has been the one difference between my old clothing and this new stuff. For the most part I am not as sweaty as I used to be but I am still sweating a bit.

I don’t wear in any of the stratus stuff I pack that in on my back.

I have found though that the Marino wool seems to stay wet longer than the synthetic. In turn that is why I am curious if the synthetic under the Marino wool would help

I have found though that the Marino wool seems to stay wet longer than the synthetic. In turn that is why I am curious if the synthetic under the Marino wool would help
I've heard this but not tried it to see the difference. Find some synthetic base layers and swap them out with the merino to see, I don't think I would stack it under the merino.

The stratus is a good set I have it but it’s not that warm it shines in blocking wind but you have to layer some thick stuff under it depending how cold you run. I do the same as you on public and walk a lot and hunt from a saddle so I pack in my fanatic bibs and jacket and will have on ether the Sitka midi pants or the first lite furnace under a light pair of kuiu pants the attack or kutana sometimes under the midi pants. I still sweat some if I move to fast but even if I sweat I don’t get cold in the fanatic. Kuiu has the proximity that I like a lot and will pack that in if it’s not gonna be super cold. For me the key is to be cold walking to the tree. If it’s a long walk I will just walk in with a very light pant on and short sleeves, then it sucks but I put everything on at the tree after I hang my sticks and get my platform hung and have my bow and everything up in the tree all but my back pack then I climb down put on all my stuff on climb up hang my pack and ready to hunt. 2 things I do 1 if I know it’s gonna be real cold I get up an hour earlier then normal to give me more time to do all that crap. 2 sounds dumb but while driving to the woods I will have my windows cracked and no heater as I hate to get to my spot all warm in the truck then step out in the cold with no sleeves and thin pants I just wanna bundle up then walk so I just keep cool the entire way there so it’s not such a shock… good luck you will figure out what works best for you it’s just trial and error as everyone is different…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did purchase the Sitka ambient jacket as I learned the stratus isn’t much insulation. Do you think this should help?
My first thought was you didn't have much insulation.

Not sure about the specific pieces you have, but given the kuiu gear I have, If I was getting hot on the walk, I would take off my zip off thermal bottoms and hike in with pants with hip vents opened and single layer top, then layer up at the tree.
I've previously used coveralls for real cold temps(which don't happen very often here in MS) but I plan on trying my puffy pants the next time I hunt cold weather whitetails.

You have no insulation. That's why you're cold. Add either synthetic or down insulation (top and bottoms, like a puffy jacket and pants). And it doesn't have to be a "hunting" brand. The Ambient is a start.

As to base layers, i prefer merino, but others prefer synthetic. It's individual preference.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I have a few hunts similar to what you describe. If you're burning through a couple miles or more of steep incline to get to your spot there is no avoiding serious sweat. I'll start out with a sacrificial t shirt then ditch it at the top to grab on the way back. After air drying for a few minutes, I'll layer as needed before approaching the hunting spot/stand. I like FL aerowool too...sitka Ambient, puffy and/or shell as needed.

For the winter hunts I do (end of October - end of November near Anchorage). It's a .75 mile hike to my glassing spot with 300' elevation gain.. then it's a potential 2.5 mile hike to go get a critter if it along the trail.
Lower half is silky base layers and timberline pants, calf high darn toughs, and my lacrosse atlas boots. When I get stationary I pull out the lvl7 marshmallow pants and rain pants for a moisture /wind barrier.
My upper half is a silky base layer and maybe a Costco synthetic vest if it's real cold. Stationary I toss on my 1/4 zip grid fleece, puffy coat and then rain jacket if it's windy.. I get real hot real quick even if it's 10 degrees. Add a puffy layer (either synthetic or down) even the ECWS lvl 7 marshmallow suit works, a little bulky but it works wonders. I find more layers work for me vs "warmer" pieces.

It took many , many miles to get the layering figured out. I learned most of it humping "the pig" and a heavy ruck! Hunting elk I learned to start out hiking with minimal clothing! If I got too wet , I either had to keep going to my destination or do a sit and dry out, which involved changing base layer up top ! Socks got changed religiously also!

Not only do you have no real insulation, you also have really warm base layers, that's why you're sweating going in.

Fellow PA public hunter, here is what I wear:
Going in, regardless of the temperature:
FL wick boxer briefs
Sitka core merino 120 hoodie
Sitka apex pants

As soon as I get to my hunting spot, layers start going on.
Over 60: probably not putting anything on, unless sweaty, then I put a warm jacket on for a few minutes to dry out
40-60: adding soft shell bibs and jacket (your stratus set), have sometimes worn a fl uncompagre if it was windy/cold but that is being phased out now
<40: fanatic bibs and jacket

Sometimes I'll layer in a thicker hoodie or work in some older hunting clothes just for nostalgia, but the typical setup is as described.

Like previous said, you don’t have any insulation.
You also need to do better about getting that sweat away from your skin and letting it evaporate. Find a lighter weight base layer. I sweat my butt off and have to go with the lightest possible base layer. Currently have a Sitka core mid weight and need to go back to the their core lightweight as it did waaay better for me.
If I were you (which we seem similar and have similar garments) I’m gonna find a Kelvin vest/celsius shacket as I don’t want the sleeves when bowhunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back