Left Leg Numbness From Pack

NoWiser

WKR
So, I recently returned from my two week elk hunting trip. I faired well but for one problem. When I cinched down my pack to take the weight off of my shoulders, it felt as though a nerve in my lower back had pressure on it and my left thigh went numb. I had the exact same thing happen last year on a backpack elk hunt. If I loosened the belt and put more weight on the shoulders, it got better. But, then I'd end up with a stiff neck and shoulders. This wasn't even with heavy loads - I'd say pack weight was right around 20 pounds or so.

I'm currently running a Kifaru Bikini frame with the 26" normal stays. Last year I had the same thing, but with the 24" stays. I love everything about the frame and pack EXCEPT the above mentioned problem. Has anyone else dealt with this? I'm curious if there are any adjustments I can make that would alleviate this problem. Otherwise, I may give another pack system a try next year, though I hate to give up on the Kifaru because it's so nice in every other way.

Any advice out there?

Thanks!

Stid2677

WKR
I have had two back operations, sounds like sciatica. Not sure if changing packs will help. I would call Kifaru if I were you and talk to them. Are you using flat back stays or regular?? May help to change the back pad.

OP
N

NoWiser

WKR
I've got the regular stays. It doesn't show up until a few days into the hunt so I'd hate to spend the money on a flat back frame and then need to sell it used if it does the same thing. It may be something I need to consider, though. Hopefully someone here has had a similar issue and got it figured out. A call to Kifaru would probably be a good idea, though.

If you're losing feeling in your leg it isn't a fit issue, its a nerve issue. You ever had your back x rayed? You may have an underlying problem that needs to be addressed via stretching or surgery.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
I had that happen after I packed out a whole deer and gear in one go. The outside of my right leg went numb for a couple of weeks after. I signed it up to a pinched nerve caused by the weight/pressure of the waist belt. If it's a reoccurring thing, I'd talk to a doctor.

OP
N

NoWiser

WKR
Sounds like you'll be spending money on back surgery.

Hmm, this is not the response I was hoping for or expecting!!

I've never had my back x rayed. I usually hurt it a few times a year but it goes away after a couple weeks. The only time I notice the numbness in my leg is when I have my backpack cinched tight. No doubt it is putting pressure on a nerve. I still have a bit of tingling a few days later, but it is improving quite a bit. I was hoping there is a way to either adjust the pack or switch packs to prevent this. Either option would be much cheaper than a dr. appointment! Maybe I'll head to the chiropractor and see what he has to say.

is it possible that you had some wrinkled layer of clothing beneath the tightened hip belt?
I know I had that issue with my 3700 a couple of times and readjusted and smoothed down clothing and it seemed to help.

Ranger619

WKR
I get this too. I have had it with 2 different packs, but not all the time. I loosen the belt for a few seconds and reposition it to resolve this.

OP
N

NoWiser

WKR
Ranger,

That's what I ended up doing, too. It would definitely help if I loosened the belt all the way. Once it started on the 3rd day of our hunt it never went away completely. There is no question the tighter I cinched down the belt the worse it got. Maybe I can use it as an excuse to give the Exo pack a test run next year?? Sounds like a good enough reason to me.

On the plus side I went into the hunt with a bad case of plantars fasciitis and after 14 days in the mountains it is 95% gone. The first few days sucked but it got better every single day after that. I can walk barefoot across the house now for the first time in over a year!

Sounds like you boys are pinching your lumbar.... Does the pain go down through your ass cheeks and down the leg? Is it a stabbing pain that feels deeper and then numbness or is it a throbbing pain more towards the surface?

LaHunter

WKR
You didn't mention what your training routine is.
One thing that may help this issue is year round strength training for lower body and your core. I am no doctor, but it does sound like a nerve issue and strengthening the muscles in you core, pelvic girdle, and legs could help with this. Hope you get it worked out.

OP
N

NoWiser

WKR
Ohhiitznik,

The pain (more numbness) went from my lower back, and radiated to the outside of my thigh. It's a tingling numbness, as if I had Novocain injected around the front and outside of my thigh. I could also feel it in the small of my back, where it was a little more of a pain rather than numbness. My leg strength and movement was not affected at all so it did not slow me down, it was just extremely uncomfortable.

My workout routine leading up the hunt started in late May. I'd do two days per week of hill sprints, 1 day on the stair climber, and 1-2 days of lifting, concentrating on my legs and core along with pullups and pushups. I'm 5'10" and 150lbs and felt great in the mountains.

This isn't a deal that could end a hunt. I could work through it no problem, but it definitely made it less enjoyable at times.

Hunt through the season then get an mri or an x ray. Sounds like you're pinching a lumbar nerve. Radiation of pain screams nerve issue. Could be a disk that is herniated or something along those lines.

Ranger619

WKR
My issue is more of my leg falling asleep. Mine goes away rather quickly when I remove my pack. I do train year round with hiking with pack on and running too.

n2horns

WKR
my right foot big toe and next to it are always numb from nerve issue. Mine is from the periformis muscle and sciatica being pinched. I'm numb in foot with or without a pack. I am going thru Orthopedic Surgeon for more analysis. good luck.

Ray

WKR
Similar issue here. My googling has turned up the condition of a pinched femoral nerve that can cause the numbness on the front and outside of the thigh. This nerve can run through the psoas muscle. There are many types of stretches for this.

The other thing that can arise from pack wear is swollen disks. Not enough to cause pain, but enough to cause your toes to go numb. And the thigh numbness.

I stopped wearing lumbar packs. The paradox does not cause the tension the longhunter does.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I get the same numbness. I always just assumed I was pinching off some blood flow. Never causes any pain. Just numbness of the left front-outer thigh. I've had it with a bikini and a REI pack. Goes away shortly after loosening or taking off the pack.

Ray

WKR
Another thing to try is smaller/thinner lumbar pads. Call Kifaru and work with them to see what your options are for belt modification.

As for back surgery, my docs have told me that unless I have pain they are not going to cut into me. My sciatica and piriformis issues have been resovled so far with osteopathy, chiropractic, and improved fitness. And moving away from lumbar packs. Still a little numbness in the right thigh all the time. I am just not able to get a deep enough release of the muscle to return the mobility and resolve the nerve entrapment. Also time for a stand up desk system at the office.