Leica CRF Pro Rangefinder

Wasn’t able to locate any posts about this new rangefinder yet, so figured I would do so.
This new rangefinder from Leica addresses the previous problem I know a lot of people have heartburn over (myself included) regarding the delay in the EHR distance display. Historically, the Leica rangefinders display the LOS first, and then two seconds later display the adjusted distance for the angle (EHR). With this new model in EHR mode, specifically the CRF Pro, the device only gives you the EHR yardage. Also doing so to 0.1yd accuracy versus being limited to a whole yard display previously.

So no more having to wait for EHR to display as it has been in the previous models. Very excited about this feature for archery, as well as the applied ballistics capabilities for rifle. As always, the optics are first in class for monocular rangefinders and the Bluetooth connectivity and leica ballistics app/kestrel interface capabilities are welcomed features. You can also input wind speed & direction directly into the rangefinder. The internal rangefinder settings are also quicker to navigate than previous models.

Additionally, I know Leica released the CRF-R earlier this year. I cannot speak to that unit regarding the EHR display as I only own the CRF Pro. I previously owned the 2800.com which I recently sold once I was able to get my hands on this new model and test it out.

Attachments

• IMG_7411.jpeg
    IMG_7411.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a kestrel to pair it with? Interested if it drains the battery like the 2800.com. I would imagine so.

Also does it display EHR then ballistic solution? I know that was a problem before too

OP
autumnaspens
Do you have a kestrel to pair it with? Interested if it drains the battery like the 2800.com. I would imagine so.

Also does it display EHR then ballistic solution? I know that was a problem before too
Yes, anytime you have the bluetooth on and are connected to another device the battery will suffer with these units. And yes, it still shows distance first, corrections second.

Does the PRO version provide a shooting solution beyond 850 yards?

If so I will have a 3500.COM for sale
here shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, anytime you have the bluetooth on and are connected to another device the battery will suffer with these units. And yes, it still shows distance first, corrections second.
Copy. Is that distance LOS or EHR when also providing ballistic solutions?

OP
autumnaspens
Should I be surprised that it doesn't do it in EHR and not LOS or is that how all ballistic solvers do it? I've always used a dope card and then use the horizontal distance provided by the rangefinder, which would be the EHR for Leica. What am I missing?
Yeah, it’s sort of puzzling. I’m sure there’s some reasoning for it I’m unaware of.

My understanding with the Leica RFs is that when operating as a ballistic solver EHR distance is still calculated and factored into the correction it displays, but the raw LOS measurement is what’s displayed to the user initially.
If you’re just wanting to get horizontal distance and use a physical dope card for corrections, EHR mode would be it.

Last edited:

mthayr

WKR
Any chance you tried the Leica ProTrack (BaseMap) functionality? Curious if the inclusion of that means there's a compass in the unit now to determine the vector, or if it gets that info some other way.

Tod osier

WKR
Yeah, it’s sort of puzzling. I’m sure there’s some reasoning for it I’m unaware of.

My understanding with the Leica RFs is that when operating as a ballistic solver EHR distance is still calculated and factored into the correction it displays, but the raw LOS measurement is what’s displayed to the user initially.
If you’re just wanting to get horizontal distance and use a physical dope card for corrections, EHR mode would be it.

Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out this out, I'm seeing it as a quirk with the LOS and then EHR. Are the CRF-R set up this way, as the OP says the CRF Pro is (to give only the EHR, not the LOS then EHR 2 seconds later)? Anyone know this?

Last edited:
OP
autumnaspens
Any chance you tried the Leica ProTrack (BaseMap) functionality? Curious if the inclusion of that means there's a compass in the unit now to determine the vector, or if it gets that info some other way.
Can confirm the new pro unit has a compass. Haven’t used basemap, but have experimented with the tracking feature within the leica ballistic app (protrack). Early impressions are good. You just connect via bluetooth and enter the protrack menu. From there, whatever you range gets sent to the app and displays the nav to that previously ranged spot

Last edited:

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider

Dang, that's a bummer. I wish it would display EHR then Ballistic Solution... Biggest reason would be if the range is greater than 875 yards, I would use my kestrel. Primarily this is for NRL Hunter/Practice. I hate pairing them since it kills the battery in about 30 seconds... lol

OP
autumnaspens
Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out this out, I'm seeing it as a quirk with the LOS and then EHR. Are the CRF-R set up this way, as the OP says the CRF Pro is (to give only the EHR, not the LOS then EHR 2 seconds later)? Anyone know this?
Hoping someone will eventually chime in that has a CRF-R. I know seeing EHR first is a sought after feature. CRF-R would be a nice option to own if you don’t want the extra features the CRF-Pro offers. It is intended to replace the 2400R model.

TLDR:
EHR on the the Leica CRF-R works exactly the same as the 2400-R. i.e. Two second delay.

For years I've used a Sig Kilo 2000 rangefinder. It's been a great rangefinder. But after using Swaro binos for over a decade, I find the blueish tint very distracting during hunting scenarios.

I bought a demo Leica Rangemaster 2400-R and never even considered EHR would be a delayed reading. (I sold my Leica Geovid-R for this same reason.) It's very irritating after using the Sig for so long. But yes, the Rangemaster 2400-R gives a delayed EHR after the LOS is displayed.

After reading this thread, I decided to try the CFR-R. I just received them this morning and they work exactly the same as the 2400-R. First LOS, then EHR.

To be fair to Leica, these rangefinders offer a beautiful picture and most users probably wouldn't care about this delay. Admittedly, walking around the rolling hills and flat land around here, it seems completely inconsequential. But for archery hunting in the mountains, angle compensation is important and I see no need to wait on this number.