Leica geovid HD-B vs swaro SLC

ofl0926

WKR
well i am finally in the market for some alpha glass. i was set on purchasing a pair of swaro slc 10x42 but then came across the cameraland deal on the Leica geovid HD-B 10x42. excluding the ballistic feature of the Leica, how do they come optically?

I had Swaro SV EL’s, the Leica H.D.-B is very very close to these. I sold my swaro’s and kept the Leica’s.

Interested in this as well. I’m looking at 2200s or SLCs. I’ve read multiple cases of 2200 HD-Bs failing that is a little worrisome.

There was a bad batch of them, Leica will take care of you if you get one, I did. They gave me a brand new bino, and some other stuff. I wouldn’t let that worry you.

I have those Leicas and think they might be the best hunting purchase I ever made. The SLC's are great glass too, that's what my 15's are. Its not apples to apples but I think the glass in both is so good it's hard to find any fault with either.

II have the geovid HD-B 2200s love them, awesome glass, (a huge step up from my trinovid BAs) awesome rangefinder, all in one.. Nothin to complain about till the temperature got below 30F( not good on a late November mule deer tag in Colorado) , then rangefinder would hardly reach out past 100yards.. sent them back to Leica the 1st of January haven't got them back yet.. Hopefully they will take care of the issue..

Problems with the 2200's in cold weather is another problem that I've read a few times. I have a Leica CRF that I like & haven't had any problems with. I'd hate to spend $2k on the HD-Bs and also pack/use my CRF out of fear that the HD-B's would s#$t the bed.

I’ve had my current one work down to -2* out to 708 yards (furthest distance available at the time), my original they replaced had issues once below freezing, this wasn’t a wide spread issue and Leica is aware of it and will correct the issue if you have it, they did for me.

Going through what I did I would still buy them again.

I think the glass comparison is about equal between the two. I'm continually amazed at the resolution in the middle 75% of my Geovids. I think they are better in that aspect than my EL SVs were. Like the SLC's they don't have the field flattening lens but that doesn't bother me. Mine were ranging down to -12 in late November in Montana this year.

Give Doug at Cameraland a call, you can regularly get the HD-B's for $1500

I've had both. I used to have the older Leica Geo's......and still have the Swaro SLC's. Both excellent glass...optically I couldn't say one is better than the other.

FWIW, I sold off the Geo's as the RF was only warrantied for 5 years....and after hunting with the Geo's for 6 years I found I much preferred having a separate RF unit.

tdhanses I appreciate the reassurance. That price tag is tough to swallow, but I'd like to combine bino/RF and have better glass...the 2200's seem like the ticket over SLCs and an upgraded LRF for me. I like how the new Sig's will BT with a Kestrel, but it doesn't sound like the 3000's have very good glass, and I definitely don't wan't to spend $1,200 for worse glass than I have now.

Truthfully for the price cameralandny is selling these, if the RF sucked you are still getting a smoking deal on an amazing optic.

Also in comparing to the SLC price wise, include a rangefinder that does ballistics calcs in the overall price and that should make the decision even easier.

So I am having the same conundrum as the OP. The main thing that is stopping me from jumping on the Geovids is the reduction in warranty and some of the issues earlier posters have brought up. Can anyone speak to Leica's warranty department and how often it is needing to be utilized?

I currently have the older geovid HD=R's, been using them for I think 4 years. Before that I had the previous 2 generations of geovids, sold them off always worried about the what if's, warranty/issues, so now I'm over 10 years of geovid use and have yet to have a problem, so I'm done worrying and just enjoy the great view and rangefinder.

I have leica 10x42 range geovids and previous generation Swarovski 15x56s...range finding capability aside on the leicas my eyes slightly favor my leica's over my swaros...... regardless, with what you're about to spend get them both on tripods and look at them side by side and dusk and dawn and see what is best for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Truthfully for the price cameralandny is selling these, if the RF sucked you are still getting a smoking deal on an amazing optic.

Also in comparing to the SLC price wise, include a rangefinder that does ballistics calcs in the overall price and that should make the decision even easier.

I would agree^ pretty good deal...... unless Leica has reduced their quality since I owned mine...they are great glass for that price. Talk to the Cameraland guys, they will steer you right.

So I am having the same conundrum as the OP. The main thing that is stopping me from jumping on the Geovids is the reduction in warranty and some of the issues earlier posters have brought up. Can anyone speak to Leica's warranty department and how often it is needing to be utilized?

I can say, Leicas customer service is 180 from what it use to be. They use to have the absolute worst warranty/customer service. That’s no longer the case.

I’ll also say that I have the Swaro EL Range, Leica Geovids, and the new Zeiss RF. The Zeiss are definitely the way to go. The bluetooth, MOA readout and so on are excellent. The read out is hard to see in the snow or bright days. One MAJOR draw back that Zeiss overlooked. The EL range are phenomenal BUT only range down to 30 yards, the readout is super bright but they don’t give an MOA readout, just a corrected yardage. Leica using the SD Card is old school, but their biggest draw back is giving you a readout in CLICKS! So frustrating IMO. I don’t do clicks. Zeiss would have had the go to all purpose binos but the fact that western hunters hunt in snow and the readout is almost impossible to see is a huge drawback.

Back