Meopta Optika LR VS Leica Geovid R Binoculars, Matt Cashell

Matt, any cold weather comparison between the two? Curious about ranging performance and battery life when cold soaked.

Mr Xv3

FNG
Excellent article @Matt Cashell!

Confirmation bias is real - but I am really happy with my Geovid-Rs. Optically, they are quite good, as you highlighted.

I appreciate the data on the Meoptas as well - thank you.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Matt, any cold weather comparison between the two? Curious about ranging performance and battery life when cold soaked.
I’ve owned the Optika LRs for over a year now.

Last white tail season in Northern Minnesota I purposefully left them outside overnight. I believe the overnight low was in the teens Fahrenheit. I woke up the next morning at first lite and was able to range a buck at 600 yards first button press, with zero issues.

They have been a workhorse tool for me. They’ve sat out in snow, rain, bumped around in the bino harness and atv/jeep a ton. Zero issues.

I have them in 8x50s and the field of view is next level. They are a bit heavy but still easy enough to free hand, just a touch heavy in the bino harness for my liking.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Great review. I’ll add that I’ve used the original 10x42 geovids for about 8 years. They obviously aren’t swarovski glass but I’ve always been able to get the job done. Even glassing up coues bucks in thick vegetation out to 1200 yards. The biggest draw back I always thought was the speed and range of the lazer.

I recently purchased the new geovid r 15x56 binos and they are amazing! Glass quality is definitely a little better and the lazer is much improved. I have had no issues ranging game to 1700 yards so far. Game just pops under this glass. I feel confident 2000 yards and under that I will turn up everything on the hillside.

I have started carrying these instead of 10x42s and a spotting scope in many situations. They aren’t quite as easy to handhold but it is doable with practice. I’m super happy with them and think they are invaluable. Hunting coues in Mexico last year there were a few occasions where I found a buck with 15x56 swaro slcs, but if I tried to find the animal with my rangefinder or geovids, would loose the animal and never see it again. Being able to long range glass, get a range, and film through the same optic is next level. They are absolutely worth the money and punch above their price.

Meopta 10x42 LR gotcha = flat battery…….

I stored the binos away in my bino harness after unboxing and a bit of a play.

The two buttons sit quite proud and were activated during storage, flattening the battery before the next time I grabbed them - fortunately before the trip.

I’ve since glued thin slices of black pe pipe around each button with Loctite 380. Seems to have solved the issue…

Otherwise they are awesome for the $$

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I own the meopta lr and the geovid r, the meoptas measure range much faster, you can get readings from targets that the leicas won't pick up. I bought the leicas new for such a good price I'll probably keep them, but they won't be my first choice. I got the meoptas right from their website, watch their FB page for good discount codes.

Korengali

FNG
Great data- for those of us that don’t want to give up the image quality to drop a separate rangefinder. I asked Meopta about their laser warranty last year by email and never reviewed a response. Warranty isn’t everything and warranty can’t save my hunt (I’ll still have a spare RF and bingos) but it’s a huge plus. Has anyone needed to use the warranty on any non-Vortex RF here? Justin didn’t mention warranty.

Korengali

FNG
Great data- for those of us that don’t want to give up the image quality to drop a separate rangefinder. I asked Meopta about their laser warranty last year by email and never reviewed a response. Warranty isn’t everything and warranty can’t save my hunt (I’ll still have a spare RF and bingos) but it’s a huge plus. Has anyone needed to use the warranty on any non-Vortex RF here? Matt didn’t mention warranty.

JasonM

FNG
I own the meopta LRs just got back from my first hunt with them which also included some fairly long range shooting. The glass is good (I used to own EL 10x42) but I was a bit disappointed in the ranging capabilities on targets (steel plates) or random rock faces (not targets) out to 1500-1600 yards.

Maybe I have one of the internal system settings wrong? I like the compactness of them and they are very robust but I feel the range finder might be a bit weak? I messed around with the new Revic binos and the BR4 and they definitely can range about anything as far as you care too. Understood they are more money than the meoptas but…..

My 2 pennies