Less Physical Hunt ??

Scorpion

WKR
Either a horseback hunt in interior Canada or something on Kodiak. Stay away from coastal BC and south central Alaska.

svivian

WKR
Something that I can pay for, rather than drawing a tag .... which at 60+ years old isn't likely.
You do you but you did started this thread by stating this. I was just curious if you turned in the Ewe tag you drew or ended up hiring a guide which also inquired about on a separate thread a few months ago.

what i was trying to get at is how about try that hunt first to see what mountain hunting will be like before setting stipulations for a paid hunt.

But great attitude though I'm sure people will be happy to help you :rolleyes:

OP
Short Track
You do you but you did started this thread by stating this. I was just curious if you turned in the Ewe tag you drew or ended up hiring a guide which also inquired about on a separate thread a few months ago.

what i was trying to get at is how about try that hunt first to see what mountain hunting will be like before setting stipulations for a paid hunt.

But great attitude though I'm sure people will be happy to help you :rolleyes:

Are you jealous I drew a sheep tag ? Not sure what my 2023 sheep tag has to do with planning a 2025 hunt of another species. I'm on other forums as well. Please stalk me some more.

Scorpion

WKR
Please explain why to stay away ??

You did specifically ask for a less physical hunt. The terrain of Coastal BC, the inside passage of Alaska, and up through the Chugach is some of the roughest country in North America. I couldn’t believe the terrain we had to climb through daily, even at least than 3,000’ elevation. Makes most of the Colorado Rockies seem like foothills.

I would think a person in their 60’s could still do it, you’d just be a little slower with the climbing, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Most of the outfitters would be more than happy to take you as long as you’re in the best shape you can be in and have a good attitude. A guide and an eager packer would make the hunt plenty enjoyable for you.

Some outfitters even offer lake based hunts in those regions that might be milder than hunting off of a saltwater bay.

OP
Short Track
Alot of good information. Mostly good except a few sad comments.
I learned there are helicopter based hunts, and boat based hunts.
I have spoken to the boat based hunt guide. He was suggesting 400+ yards. Possibly 600 yards shots.

So it's time to get back to the range.

Alot of good information. Mostly good except a few sad comments.
I learned there are helicopter based hunts, and boat based hunts.
I have spoken to the boat based hunt guide. He was suggesting 400+ yards. Possibly 600 yards shots.

So it's time to get back to the range.

British Columbia offers helicopter hunts for Rocky Mountain goat?!! That's a new one on me.

Decker9

WKR
Another option is to look into day hunts from a camp. Part of the physical aspect comes from less than comfortable sleeps. A warm camp each night is super nice, but does take away from a big chunk of the experience.

I think it's the one where they drop the billy off with the chopper a few days before they fly the hunter up.;)

Aaah, one of those deals. Apparently there's nothing quite like poaching a mountain goat with a helicopter and then brandishing some grandiose tale of how it was the most arduous and most grueling adventure expedition. NOT!