Less Physical Hunt ??

tater

WKR
What? That doesn't make sense. But just to clarify, you ain't helicopter hunting mountain goats anywhere (LOL).
Unfortunately GO's in the Mackenzie Range in NWT can transport clients for goat hunting into the alpine with rotary wing aircraft.

Unfortunately GO's in the Mackenzie Range in NWT can transport clients for goat hunting into the alpine with rotary wing aircraft.

I heard that that's only available as an add-on specie during sheep and caribou hunts. I've yet to find an outfitter in the Nahanni that offers goat-specific hunts.

tater

WKR
That's one word for it...:cautious:

My understanding is if you are willing to pay the price, he will cater to any format of hunt provided he has the guides available.

tater

WKR
If you are dropped in the alpine in that range, you don't exactly have to be in "peak mountain form"...

My understanding is if you are willing to pay the price, he will cater to any format of hunt provided .....

Yep, and I bet that price comes with some sticker shock (lol). But from what I understand, Canada is a capitalist country, as well.

kaboku68

WKR
Aaron Bloomquist from Alaska Outdoors Unlimited has a registration goat hunt where the horses haul you up to the goats. I have heard that if you go for Goats with Kodiak Combos in February that on some occasions you can shoot from the boat but consider that you might not get out because the weather is so bad so you are gambling.

Aaron Bloomquist from Alaska Outdoors Unlimited has a registration goat hunt where the horses haul you up to the goats.

Bloomquist: Wrangell Mountains -- an excellent area for old goats.

I have heard that if you go for Goats with Kodiak Combos in February that on some occasions you can shoot from the boat but consider that you might not get out because the weather is so bad so you are gambling.

Yeah, Kodiak can eat your ass alive in January and February, for sure.

Aaron Bloomquist from Alaska Outdoors Unlimited has a registration goat hunt where the horses haul you up to the goats. I have heard that if you go for Goats with Kodiak Combos in February that on some occasions you can shoot from the boat but consider that you might not get out because the weather is so bad so you are gambling.
I gotta say, it makes me throw up a little in my mouth when I see pictures of dead nannies (sometimes billy's, but usually nannies), shot off the beach from winter boat hunting on Kodiak...just say'in.

I gotta say, it makes me throw up a little in my mouth when I see pictures of dead nannies (sometimes billy's, but usually nannies), shot off the beach from winter boat hunting on Kodiak...just say'in.

I'm definitely NOT a fan of killing nannies, either. Not a good thing.

Been to Kodiak three times in the "spring", once in Feb, and twice in March from a Boat. Still have yet to shoot one on the beach, but we surely seen a few down that low, mostly nannies/kids. Hiking up to get to Billy's through all that snow is almost worse than the brush in the fall. Fun hunt either way.

kaboku68

WKR
I love hunting goats and think that they are amazing animals. Most coastal boat based hunts are tough adventures where you earn that Billy by busting through devil's club up dried creek beds and avalanche chutes. However, the op wanted opinions of what the easiest hunt would be. I didn't mention that there were some drawing hunts that are pretty easy as well. I think that we all owe it to the species to take Billies and that the biggest problem with hunting off the beach is that goats don't float well and are easily lost. It is not a strategy that I would advocate but if the hunter is handicapped- maybe they are an amputee or have similar problems then a boat based hunt on Kodiak would be about the only option.

ozyclint

WKR
You did specifically ask for a less physical hunt. The terrain of Coastal BC, the inside passage of Alaska, and up through the Chugach is some of the roughest country in North America. I couldn’t believe the terrain we had to climb through daily, even at least than 3,000’ elevation. Makes most of the Colorado Rockies seem like foothills.
Are you able to post a link to a video of said country? I'm interested in how it compares to NZ west coast tahr country.