Lets talk BULLETS- Tougher "non-premiums" ?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
So the quest for the perfect bullet continues I suppose.

setup specs:
Sako 85 finnlight 30-06
Zeiss 3-9x42
Hornady 165gr interlock SPBT over 57gr of IMR4350---2700FPS(MV)

I have taken now 3 head of game with the Hornady 165Gr Interlock SPBT and have mixed feelings but generally good results.

First deer of the season: DRT Instant death, 205 yds, no exit broadside double lung.

Second deer: 290 yds down hill, high angling down broadside. Entered above vitals, exit wound in the far side armpit. Exit wound looked like it had been hit with a 12Ga and was the size of a saucer. Deer was paralized from the wound back, after initially thinking it was DRT, it leaned up and started eating grass-- first time ive seen this, had to send a follow up shot so it wouldn't suffer.

Blackbear: DRT no bullet recovered, no exit wound, big mess (seriously)

all of this makes me want something that will hold together better and be a little cleaner. I don't know if I would have a lot of faith sending one of these Interlocks into an Elks shoulder given my experience with how violent these things come apart- probably wrong, just making an inference out of the smaller game ive taken with the bullet.

In my opinion, you have to shoot your set up a lot to be effective with it which is one of the reasons I like the Interlocks so much, they are cheap and accurate.

I know the 165 NPT is the ultimate answer and I have used them and have always been very happy with them, but at $1.20 a pop ( in Canada ) it makes taking the rifle out and shooting 20-30 rds regularly a pretty expensive proposition.

Can anyone recommend a "tuff" non premium to try instead of the Interlock?

BTW I need to stick to the 165-180Gr / 2700fps range as this is what my BDC reticle works with

Mike.

I’d just bump up to a 180 if you don’t like the 165. A little slower and more mass never hurts. Have used the 30-06 a lot with various non premiums (and premiums) in that weight with good luck.

180 NBT would be a solid choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hodgeman

WKR
Couple of things I'd suggest.

I really like the Accubond- they're expensive....but the much cheaper (about half) Ballistic Tip has the same profile and shoots to the same POI. I shoot BTs for practice and the ABs for game. They're interchangeable in my rifle (and most others I suspect).

The "tougher" non-premiums... Speer Hot Cors hold up pretty well and the ubiquitous Core Lokt aren't half bad at standard cartridge speeds and are better than the Interlock/SST series IMHO.

The Fusion bullet is pretty dang stout for a cup and core bullet- I use them in a 7-08 with great results (factory ammo).

Sierra Game Kings aren't bad either- especially the 180gr in an '06. They are usually found $30/100 in the U.

165 gr. Accubond for your game and 165 gr. Ballistic Tip for practice. They probably aren't going to be that much difference in price though. And the BT will likely shoot about the same POI as the Accubond. Not a sure thing but they might.

hodgeman

WKR
165 gr. Accubond for your game and 165 gr. Ballistic Tip for practice. They probably aren't going to be that much difference in price though. And the BT will likely shoot about the same POI as the Accubond. Not a sure thing but they might.

180 Accubonds are 32.99/50
180 Ballistic Tips are 18.69/50

I can run them interchangeably in my .300WSM and can't tell the difference at all.The have nearly identical profiles. They'd diverge at some point...but it's a lot further than I'd shoot. Over normal game ranges I can't imagine the difference would even be noticeable.

I've done this in 4 or 5 rifles and it's worked for them all. I think it'd be worth checking out.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ha, I thought I was going to be able to tell you something good... but I see everyone else already has. Yea the accubond/ballistic tip combo works really well. I shoot the 180s out of my Kimber 06.

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome,

Ill pick a box of each up tmw and start tinkering. Do you think the NPT's will shoot similar to the Interlocks? id rather hunt with the NPT over the Accubond. Im old fashioned I guess.

I like 165grn accubonds. Not sure if they qualify as premium or middle of the road since you can find them for $33 on sale often.

Shot my first bear with one a few weeks ago at 384 yards. The bullet entered just behind the left shoulder and stopped under the skin of the right hip and retained most of its mass. The bear only ran 30yards but didn't leave a drop of blood. Not sure if the blood trail was the bullet or the bears fault since he had a lot of fat and fur.
Anyway im not switching anytime soon, especially since they are the only thing that will group nice out of my rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topher89

WKR
Another vote for the Accubond/BT combo. I haven't been hunting long but I have shot 3 deer, 3 antelope and 1 elk with the accubond and have had no complaints. The BTs seem to be a good cheap practice round.

I highly doubt the partition will shoot to same impact point as interlocks if that is what you are asking. As far as accuracy I don’t think the partition will disappoint.

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I highly doubt the partition will shoot to same impact point as interlocks if that is what you are asking. As far as accuracy I don’t think the partition will disappoint.

Yah man, that's what I was asking. I have a couple boxes of the 180 NPT's and they are just under MOA ish in my setup, It just kills me practicing with them so I switched to the INTERLOCK's part way through this season so I could do more shooting practice and not waste such expensive projectiles.

Wapiti1

WKR
Keep an eye on Shooters Pro Shop and watch for the Nosler AB or Partitions to come up as blems or factory overruns. They usually have them for $15-$20 a box in both flavors. As an example, they have .308 180gr Partitions right now as blems for $22 a box, and 180gr Accubonds for $17 a box. 180gr E-tips are $16 a box.

Just have to keep checking the site every couple of weeks and you can get a good deal on Nosler bullets. If you are worried about them being blems, don't be. It is almost impossible to figure out why they are blems. Usually tiny water spots, and nothing else. Perform the same as any other Nosler bullet.

Jeremy