Leupold 5000 TBR/W Range Finder Review

QuickTrigger7

Lil-Rokslider

Review: RX 5000TBR W Rangefinder

Unboxing

The rangefinder came with a set of directions, a subpar lanyard string, a non-durable case, and a TBR class sheet to match ballistics with the rifle. Inside the case were also a set of directions. Additionally, there was a rangefinding adapter for a tripod, designed with a slide-in mechanism.

Initial Impressions

The rangefinder's battery life was at 80 percent when unboxed. The display was very bright on the medium mode, making it easy to see in sunlight. The rangefinder picked up ranges flawlessly and quickly, with targets ranged up to 2000 yards.

Point Pinning

Leupold's marketing emphasizes this rangefinder's ability to send pins to many mapping apps, including ON X. This feature intrigued me for hunting purposes. However, while testing out the ON X pinning and recalibrating the device, the pins were constantly 50-400 yards off target, which was very frustrating. Leupold was contacted, and they stated that the device needs to be recalibrated whenever used in the field around metal objects.

Battery Life

With perhaps 30 percent of actual use and 10 minutes of Bluetooth connection, the battery life is at 50 percent.

Conclusion

With adjustments to settings away from the factory settings and being away from infrastructures, I hope the magnetic-to-app pinning will become more accurate. I'm also curious to see how this rangefinder will perform in harsh environments. I was impressed by this device's ranging abilities and the quick and easy app progression and Bluetooth connectivity. However, I was disappointed with the case and lanyard. I really do hope the pinning becomes more accurate.

Thanks for the review. I was looking at this as well but with performance like that I think I'll avoid it.

I called leupold and asked if it was abnormal for them to be ranging inaccurate. They responded by saying “this range finder was designed to get you in the general area” they also said any type of metal including a bino harness will throw it off. Not to many bino harnesses out there that are not magnetic. To me the dropping pins future of this range finder is completely pointless. I would rather take the extra time and make a more accurate pin then being 200 yards off. Should have trusted my gut after leupold kicked my ass on a mark 5 purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.png
    IMG_0401.png
    446.2 KB · Views: 1
Back