Leupold VX-R?

grfox92

WKR
There is a very nice X Bolt 7mm08 with a VX-R 3x9 on it at a local shop. I've never heard of one and they clearly aren't making them anymore.

I'm trying to see if the gun is worth what they are asking with that scope on it. Does anyone know about them? What are they compared to other VX stuff. Are they the same recent crappy quality as the new VX lines? What gives?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

03mossy

WKR
Very nice scopes. I believe they had the same glass as the VX3 before they changed to the VX3hd. I’ve had one on my deer rifle for a number of years with no complaints.

I've got a couple of the VX-R Patrol 3-9's that I snagged from Midway when they were blowing them out for $300 when Leupold discontinued them. They've been solid and despite what the internet says I've never had to rezero either of them and they track true. For $300 its impossible to beat, even the original price of $500-$600 was good for what you get but at that price range I'd probably step up to something else. The reticle could be a little thinner but its usable and not just a fat fence post in your view like the Mark 3HD is that seems to be its replacement, that scope is an absolute pile of shit.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I've got a couple of the VX-R Patrol 3-9's that I snagged from Midway when they were blowing them out for $300 when Leupold discontinued them. They've been solid and despite what the internet says I've never had to rezero either of them and they track true. For $300 its impossible to beat, even the original price of $500-$600 was good for what you get but at that price range I'd probably step up to something else. The reticle could be a little thinner but its usable and not just a fat fence post in your view like the Mark 3HD is that seems to be its replacement, that scope is an absolute pile of shit.
Cool. They are asking 750 for a like new x bolt with a VXR Patrol on top. Sounds like a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I use one on my 444 Marlin. Mine is the firedot version. No issues in the past 3 years, fwiw I don't dial on that gun.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've got one from years back, it's been beat around quite a bit and never had an issue with it.