Liberty Safes Provides Access Codes to FBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Yeah, I'd be interested to see if the warrant specifically included search of the safe.

Not sure what legal precedent is for that re: 4th/5th amendments.

wyogoat

WKR
The warrant doesn’t need to include the safe necessarily. They can open anything in that house that can store what they have specified in the warrant.
Inevitably they would get in the safe regardless of how so at least this way the safe is still functional. Not sure why people would be worked up with Liberty over it. Provide the master or cut the bars and ruin the safe…they were getting in.
And it’s a 4th amendment issue.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see if the warrant specifically included search of the safe.

Not sure what legal precedent is for that re: 4th/5th amendments.
The warrant doesn’t need to include the safe necessarily. They can open anything in that house that can store what they have specified in the warrant.
Inevitably they would get in the safe regardless of how so at least this way the safe is still functional. Not sure why people would be worked up with Liberty over it. Provide the master or cut the bars and ruin the safe…they were getting in.
Correct. If they are looking for a watch, gun, etc (as specified in the warrant) they can legally search anything that that item can be hidden in. If looking for a 72 inch tv, they can't search the safe. Lots of warrants might include "illegal narcotics and paraphernalia" which will give them legal reason to search just about everything that could contain what the warrant lists.

Seems like calling a locksmith would be a lot easier/faster than trying to cut into it, especially if it is bolted down.

I swapped out the electronic locks out my Liberties years ago...went to mechanical.

Wrench

WKR
I have a drug siezed safe. When I bought it, there was two holes drilled in the door. One wiped the relocker and the other the lock. I rebuilt the door and located a different relocker in a different location. The law knows how to get in.....I guarantee it.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
And if it really bothers you buy a different brand. But I think they'd all do it anyways.

I'm not sure I'm mad at Liberty, don't like it but they're kind of in a tough spot. They probably keep a master code so they can help all the idiots who lock themselves out of their own safes.

Looks like the fbi is still hunting down january 6th folks according to the article .
Making an example out of folks, remember folks "Nobody ***** with a Biden."

I have a drug siezed safe. When I bought it, there was two holes drilled in the door. One wiped the relocker and the other the lock. I rebuilt the door and located a different relocker in a different location. The law knows how to get in.....I guarantee it.
Yep they call a locksmith.

Be interesting to know if they gave out the combo, or if there is a master code that they gave out
When the safe comes from the factory, it has a generic code to open it, but you are supposed to change it to your personal combination. Apparently he didn't do that so he left the original combo that Liberty had. I doubt that he would have called and gave it to Liberty if he changed it himself.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
It’s thread worthy because liberty has no obligation to provide a master code or key. Apple did the same thing with a shooting years ago but didn’t give access to a phone owned by the suspect. For gun owners it is worth knowing which companies respect your rights and doesn’t fold to alphabet groups for their given agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.