Light attachment for bino harness - 3D printed

valtteri

FNG
What software are you using for 3D design? There is a free-to-use 3D printer at my library and have been meaning to try. Not super-proficient with 3D so any tips on which software to choose would be appreciated.

kfog

FNG
this is excellent! thank you, going to print a few up and see if it fits my streamlight!

OP
CAM_D

CAM_D

FNG
this is excellent! thank you, going to print a few up and see if it fits my streamlight!
Try the R3 version. If it doesn't fit, let me know the OD of the light you're using and I can edit it.

OP
CAM_D

CAM_D

FNG
What software are you using for 3D design? There is a free-to-use 3D printer at my library and have been meaning to try. Not super-proficient with 3D so any tips on which software to choose would be appreciated.
In this case, I am using Tinkercad. It's simple, web based and free. I've been slowly getting more familiar with Fusion360 but it's taking some time.

valtteri

FNG
In this case, I am using Tinkercad. It's simple, web based and free. I've been slowly getting more familiar with Fusion360 but it's taking some time.
Yeah, I just installed Fusion360 and modeled my first part, a step pulley for reducing the speed of my Singer sewing machine. Gonna go print it next week at the library. Fusion3D is pretty damn sweet!

MattB

WKR
Nice. I have taken to carrying a small headlamp in one of the side pouches of my bino harness, but better to have a full-size headlamp.

How much effort does it take to remove the headlamp from the mount? If it is not that much, it might be a good idea to run a loop of Velcro round the light and the mount as a secondary means of retention.

OP
CAM_D

CAM_D

FNG
Nice. I have taken to carrying a small headlamp in one of the side pouches of my bino harness, but better to have a full-size headlamp.

How much effort does it take to remove the headlamp from the mount? If it is not that much, it might be a good idea to run a loop of Velcro round the light and the mount as a secondary means of retention.
It’s a struggle to get it out. I’ve been printing a few different revisions and have a lot of trouble getting the light to come out even when trying.

OP
CAM_D

CAM_D

FNG
I spent 3 days pronghorn hunting with my kids last weekend and while I didn't need the light other than once at camp, it did survive over 15 miles of hiking, crossing a lot of barbed wire fences, and packing out 2 antelope doe without loosening up.

Dusty

Lil-Rokslider
Man, cool idea! I’d bet it wouldnt be hard to adapt to the peax duo as well. If marsupial doesn’t pick it up and run with it you might try Aziak.

Curhunter

FNG
It would be easy to adapt to any of those style lights. I am modeling another for my sofirn.
If you come up with something better than the piece of crap mount that peax uses, they'd be in demand. I would definitely be interested in one.

Rhino8541

WKR
I'm interested in 2 if you're selling these! Looks like they will work in standard molle and my FHF harness.

OP
CAM_D

CAM_D

FNG
Of course he isn't selling them without being a forum sponsor

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Exactly! I have sent out some sets for cheap (basically covering shipping and a couple dollars to cover material). I don't want to break any forum rules, just passing on a helpful idea.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful using these in zero degree temps. I have some 3D printed items on my hunting gear and ended up breaking a camelback hose adapter in the cold this past weekend. I’d hate to have someone lose a headlamp that they later end up needing

OP
CAM_D

CAM_D

FNG
Be careful using these in zero degree temps. I have some 3D printed items on my hunting gear and ended up breaking a camelback hose adapter in the cold this past weekend. I’d hate to have someone lose a headlamp that they later end up needing
Valid point for sure. Leaving on the dash of your truck in the summer would also cause it to soften up. Normal materials like PLA, PETG and ASA have limitations. I have been looking at printers for higher temp materials like CF Nylon but it's a big step up in price from the $300-$400 printers to the $2000 ones.

drew12

FNG
I love the molle under the bino harness. Another great idea - nice to have another option for my headlamp when sporting a hat!

OP
CAM_D

CAM_D

FNG
I love the molle under the bino harness. Another great idea - nice to have another option for my headlamp when sporting a hat!
I've used this one on 3 mule deer hunts, an antelope hunt, an elk hunt and a javelina hunt so far. Works great.

I have a similar model Fenix. It has a metal clip on it so I can attach it to the brim of my hat or on my harness like yours.