Light weight bipod

For those of you that have tried the mtn gear, spartan, gunwerks, and others what is your go to favorite light weight bipod. I am getting a rokstok so attachment method doesn’t matter. Thanks!

Geewhiz

WKR
I don't own a spartan but I have friends that do and I've fiddled with them a bit. I just cant get over the fact that you cant fold it down and you have to take it off the rifle. So silly. I've been with all 3 of my buddies that have them when they have set them down and left them somewhere since they have to be detached.

THB I haven't found a bipod that I really like and I just keep going back to my old Harris. Definitely don't want twist lock legs.

Be curious what others have to say.

TN2shot07

WKR
I have a Spartan and a Hatch, there are pros and cons to both. The hatch is way easier to adjust with the plunger legs and just slides on a pic rail so it’s easily removed. It’s super nice that you can track with the Spartan not having to adjust your entire position.

pirogue

WKR
Spartan here also ( the Pro Hunt with 19.5-42” legs), that I got from Happy Antelope. I like being able to sit. If I wanted to lay down to shoot, I’d use my backpack. 😂 Legs assembly attaches and detaches quickly, by magnet. No bulk or weight of legs, nor a picatinny, to notice/hinder if you want to sling carry your rifle.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't own a spartan but I have friends that do and I've fiddled with them a bit. I just cant get over the fact that you cant fold it down and you have to take it off the rifle. So silly. I've been with all 3 of my buddies that have them when they have set them down and left them somewhere since they have to be detached.

THB I haven't found a bipod that I really like and I just keep going back to my old Harris. Definitely don't want twist lock legs.

Be curious what others have to say.
Taking it off the rifle is the whole point of the bipod. It's for someone who does NOT want a big super heavy bipod attached to a rifle 100% of the time. Like saying I don't like a rifle because it's a pistol. You also have to lift the whole rifle up to change a slight aiming condition on a Harris, don't have to that with a Spartan. Not sure my Binos are bad because I set them down and lost them either, kind of my fault. Ammo isn't attached either? But to your point, see what they come out with in a few months regarding a PRS line of products. It reality should be the end of every attachment option ever invented.

Last edited:
Who is they?
Probably a joke but an MDT triple pull Ckye pod comes to mind as the NRL/PRS field match do-all. It's obviously very heavy so not practical for most hunting though. I say this after just buying a single pull standard weight Ckye pod (24oz) for my hunting purposes so I'm a hypocrite.

Sadler

WKR
I have the Spartan and the gunwerks bipod. I have a salmon river solutions pic/spartan combo on my manners and ordered one for my Rokstok. The thing that sucks about using the gunwerks bipod with that particular rail is the gaps they carved out of each individual rail to save weight is just a touch wider than the recoil lug on the bipod so it’ll slide up and down the rail. Didn’t happen at first but after a couple hundred rounds it got sloppy. I’m hoping this new rail for the rokstok works better. If not, I may just sell that bipod and stick with the Spartan.

And to answer your question, the gunwerks. It’s just more versatile but also heavier. But I heard Spartan is coming out with something new this year so maybe hold off and see what gets released at shot show.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Spartan and the gunwerks bipod. I have a salmon river solutions pic/spartan combo on my manners and ordered one for my Rokstok. The thing that sucks about using the gunwerks bipod with that particular rail is the gaps they carved out of each individual rail to save weight is just a touch wider than the recoil lug on the bipod so it’ll slide up and down the rail. Didn’t happen at first but after a couple hundred rounds it got sloppy. I’m hoping this new rail for the rokstok works better. If not, I may just sell that bipod and stick with the Spartan.

And to answer your question, the gunwerks. It’s just more versatile but also heavier. But I heard Spartan is coming out with something new this year so maybe hold off and see what gets released at shot show.
Will all be displayed at Shot for sure. I'll post some photos for everyone to see, don't expect to be able to buy one for a few months though. These are not an improvement on a Javelin, that's about as simple, light and well built as anyone will ever need for a hunting scenario, this stuff will be totally different.

Sadler

WKR
Will all be displayed at Shot for sure. I'll post some photos for everyone to see, don't expect to be able to buy one for a few months though. These are not an improvement on a Javelin, that's about as simple, light and well built as anyone will ever need for a hunting scenario, this stuff will be totally different.
Will these new bipods still be compatible with the magna switch connection?

Axlrod

WKR
I have a couple Rugged Ridge that I have a few years on. No issues, but I am always looking to try something different. I hope the spartan is good, but I won't be an early adapter. I learned my lesson with the most recent gunworks disaster. If a company is going to come out with new equipment, it needs to be tested by real hunters first. Not take it from 3rd world country manufacturer to shipping container to me!

2-Stix

WKR
Spartan. I stuff it in my pocket. Pull it when I need it. If I need something taller I use a pack, poles or my tripod. I shot off hand some times, hunt out of a rig and dont want more weight at the end.

Used and have Harris and will keep. Good for certain hunting situations.

But got Spartan which makes it nice to pull it off in a snap to go slick. Then slap on the Spartan in a few seconds when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

199p

FNG
Have used the neopod, spartan and now run the backlands full time

They have a few but this is what i run, also have the og but leg notch is faster to set up.

The MTN also look good but for me it's got too many moving parts and I don't think it would last because I'm rough on my gear.

I generally carry it on my rifle feels safer then on the side of my pack.