Lightweight 1-4x ?

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone running a light weight 1-4 on a mountain rifle? I hunt the Blueridge mtns, so I don't think I need much more than 4x. The thing is most of these scopes are the Tactical type now adays. I found one or two, however I'm open to suggestions. If anyone has a brand/model suggestion on in that format or maybe something similar let me know. I'm hoping to have one come in right at a pound, or less would be good. Btw, this is a short light 308 that is 6.3 lbs. unloaded; I would like to finish out at about 7.5.

Hoodie

WKR
I did this with a Leupold variable on a Savage LW Storm. It was perfectly adequate out to 250 yards. Probably your best best for a non-tactical scope. 1.5x or 1x on the low end is really nice in the thick stuff.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the Trijicon Credo (HX) in 1-4?
Yes, and their lower line, the ascent. It has none of the bells and whistles (added weight) the Credo line has, and from what I understand it has the same glass and housing. It's my front runner.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I did this with a Leupold variable on a Savage LW Storm. It was perfectly adequate out to 250 yards. Probably your best best for a non-tactical scope. 1.5x or 1x on the low end is really nice in the thick stuff.
Most of the Leupold I've seen are 1' or they weight a boatload. Maybe I'm missing something?

sram9102

WKR
I have a swfa 1-4 on my sbr. It isn't the lightest out there but seems like a solid optic for the price.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I have a swfa 1-4 on my sbr. It isn't the lightest out there but seems like a solid optic for the price.
I hear they are a good value for sure.

It might be a pipe dream finding a quality scope that's under one pound. Years ago, most every manufacturer had a fixed 4x in the line, some really well made, German glass etc. It seems everything now a days is made for long range or Ar platforms.

TxxAgg

WKR
OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
15.9 oz

well, that's a good deal. ty ty

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Bushnell has a new 1-4x24 4500 x4 with a plain duplex. Cheaper end of the spectrum but it might just work well for your needs. On sale too i think at Midway and Bushnell direct.

Made in Korea but........

I hear they are a good value for sure.

It might be a pipe dream finding a quality scope that's under one pound. Years ago, most every manufacturer had a fixed 4x in the line, some really well made, German glass etc. It seems everything now a days is made for long range or Ar platforms.
The eye relief on that scope is not as advertised. It's appreciably shorter.

I much prefer my Leupold 1.5-4x20.

balkodd

FNG
I have Nikon Monarch 3 in a 1-4x20 on a Browning BAR in 308. This is the only rifle I use for whitetail hunting. The scope has a German #4 reticle which is perfect for quick target acquisition. It has been an awesome setup for deer hunting thick cover and I’m still comfortable shooting it out to 250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue72

WKR
Have you considered a red dot or a prism?

they balance out a mountain rifle very nicely since they weigh nothing. you can get red dots that only weigh 1 ounce or a magnified 3x prism for 6-7 ounces

I use a NF NXS 1-4x currently. I enjoy the reticle, it works well for me. I have it on a 556 rifle, but it will work just as well for a 308. I wouldn’t hesitate to put it on anything really. It weighs about 17oz at 8” or so in length. NF doesn’t make them anymore, but you can find them on eBay and gunbroker from time to time.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered a red dot or a prism?

they balance out a mountain rifle very nicely since they weigh nothing. you can get red dots that only weigh 1 ounce or a magnified 3x prism for 6-7 ounces
I have a red dot, I have thought about that for sure. I kind of wanted some magnification. But shoot, it would make things easy.

Blue72

WKR
I have a red dot, I have thought about that for sure. I kind of wanted some magnification. But shoot, it would make things easy.

warning: the lightweight and nimbleness of a red dot equipped mountain rifle becomes very addictive

P.S. You can still have magnification if you go with a prism

TxxAgg

WKR
How far can yall shoot a red dot at a deer sized target?

About 100 yds is doable but seems tougher after that.