Lightweight 1-4x ?

Blue72

WKR
How far can yall shoot a red dot at a deer sized target?

About 100 yds is doable but seems tougher after that.

using a six o'clock hold with a 2 MOA dot really Increases accuracy, instead of just placing the dot over the deer. You can also increase your accuracy distance if you use a rear peep sight or a magnifier

As a general rule of thumb I can shoot slightly further with red dots over iron sights. Since you focus on the target instead of the front post and the dot is smaller then the front post.

im comfortable shooting 200 yards. But hunting in most places on the east coast due to brush is 100 yards and under.

have killed coyotes no problem called in at 30 yards with 4x...minimum I'd be looking for is Leupold fixed 4x33 or 6x36 used, they about 9 oz, I shot a ewe at 170 with 6x36 and would have been happier with 9x or 2.5-8x36 minimum, so moved to 3-9x40 lightweights for the versatility, Trijicon accuPoint is 13.4 oz and man do I like that battery free illuminated green dot...a 1-4 would never leave 4x and always leave me wanting more, might as well just get the Leupold fixed 2.5x at 6.5 oz if you need to be that minimalist, just don't try the Trijicon and that green dot in the woods or that's what you'll buy, you've been warned ;)

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
have killed coyotes no problem called in at 30 yards with 4x...minimum I'd be looking for is Leupold fixed 4x33 or 6x36 used, they about 9 oz, I shot a ewe at 170 with 6x36 and would have been happier with 9x or 2.5-8x36 minimum, so moved to 3-9x40 lightweights for the versatility, Trijicon accuPoint is 13.4 oz and man do I like that battery free illuminated green dot...a 1-4 would never leave 4x and always leave me wanting more, might as well just get the Leupold fixed 2.5x at 6.5 oz if you need to be that minimalist, just don't try the Trijicon and that green dot in the woods or that's what you'll buy, you've been warned ;)
crap man, that 3 x 9 accupoint is light. And the 1-4 is lighter than the ascent. Hum.

crap man, that 3 x 9 accupoint is light. And the 1-4 is lighter than the ascent. Hum.
ya a lot of the illuminated low mag options are 30mm heavy pigs, makes the 1" tube accupoint even more appealing, it's a tough one to beat as a versatile hunting rig from predators to big game...I resisted the 3-9 thing a long time but finally gave in lol, and very happy I did, I could do most of my big game on 9x but I'll start coyote sets at 3x and about middle for most big game

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
I grabbed a Vortex LH 1.5-8x32 and have been very happy with it over the last couple of years. 1.5x has been very quick in cover, but I like having the ability to go up to 8x if I need to stretch out a little. Comes in at 13.4oz, which is more than acceptable for my uses. Might be worth looking for something similar if you don't need the true 1x.

drh2687

FNG
Leupold 1.5-4x VX-Freedom line is pretty light at 9.6oz, and the older VX-R models are virtually the same scope.

Darryle

WKR
I have a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5 - 4 x 20mm Duplex, so far the turrets have been really close, minute of coyote or coon out to 300yds with 55gr 5.56 or 223.

If you can find one, they are great reliable scopes.

It's less than 10oz and I will get it dialed in soon and order a set of Kenton turrets so I can run the 70gr HPBT.

CCH

WKR
It's hard to beat the Leupold 1.5-4x scopes for weight and decent optics. I had a VX-II 1.5-4x on my .308 for years and now have one on my AR to keep it as light as possible while still having versatile optics. The Freedom line should be the current offering for that package.

GRSC CRS 1-6x Jap glass, lighted reticle, christmas tree drops with wind-holds, 1lb. Yes it is marked to the AR crowd, but I find it a useful trade-off scope that can fill multiple roles, especially with no dialing and wind holds.

OP
Old-Cat

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I’m completely confused now. I had my mind set on a 1-4 (6) because they are compact and light weight. I’m being told the objective on those scopes are too small for low light conditions, in other words, the last few mins of legal hunting light.

I hunted w my red-dot this year and it was great at last light and in close. Short range is a big deal for where I hunt. Example: Just after Christmas I had a group of hogs get close to running me over. I was forced to stand up and wave my hand to redirect them. I was able to keep my rifle shouldered and on target with one hand using that red dot- the whole thing was pretty cool btw. I’m not so sure I could have picked them up at 20 ft w a 2.5 or 3x scope.

Maybe I’m missing something? Any suggestions or clarification would be appreciated.

Rich M

WKR
I have a 1.5-4x or 1-4.5x bushnell banner and like it on a small carbine. Also have 4x and 2-7x on other guns.

Think i like 2-7x the best.

Have red dots too and they work well to about 100 yds. Good for low light/dark.

TheGDog

WKR
If you can find it somewhere, the discontinued Weaver Classic 1-3x20mm is only 8.5oz and the glass is good (made in the Phillipines), and it seems to be pretty tough because it was in my other hand when I fell crossing a creek and shattered my left wrist. The fall bent the lip of the objective a lil bit, but it was still zeroed the next year after the surgery healed up.

And it's a true 1x down low, it's pretty cool you can aim with both eyes open very naturally on 1x. When you're making sits in thick stuff.

I have it on my Marlin .30-30.
WP_20170424_002.jpg
WP_20151003_002 - Copy.jpg

Looks like ones for sale here:

Last edited:
I hunt mid-range from feet to 5/600 yds. The reason i use the GRSC CRS 1-6x is because it can be dialed down for close and dialed up for long. Maybe you can get by with a 2x on the low end, but 1x gives you quite a bit larger field of view. A lot of guys like Red-dots, but that doesn't work for me as I also varmint hunt at longer ranges, so I need 'some' magnification. To me a scope must have Good glass to be able to See in early/late hours. You might be able to increase the light gathering with a Larger objective lens, but you won't increase Resolution. That is only obtained by Good glass. I have a cheaper 3-9x that I won't use because it just dies in the twilight. So the 1-6x is a trade-off of many different factors. I get by with it for many different purposes. It isn't cheap, but I haven't been convinced that there is anything more useful for the money.