Lightweight 7mm-08

UtahJimmy

WKR
I'm wanting to create a lightweight, short barreled rifle in 7mm-08. I was thinking I would just get a t3/t3x and go from there, but I found a great deal on a Rem 700 SPS (7.25#) that has me reconsidering the Tikka.

I'd be cutting the barrel from 24" to 18-20", replacing the stock, using Talley LWs, and a 12 oz scope on it.

Would I be able to get down to 6-6.5# scoped with the 700 or should I wait to find a deal on a Tikka which is 1 lb lighter to being with?

Take a look at the SPS compact it's the youth version. If you're going to replace the stock the compact already has a 20" barrel so it would possibly save you that cost. I believe the compact is at 7# already so 6.5 might be tough but i'm sure doable. Model Seven might be a better starting point!

Does kimber make the hunter models in 7/08? That might be a good start. The tikka is also good as is the savage lightweight hunter.

I’m on the fence with Remington these days, we have a 700 mountain rifle here that’s yet to get scooped up in 270, so far just looking over it, it seems pretty good. With a timney trigger and an fx2 6x scope it should be ready for the mountains, I might avoid Remington’s sps line due to the crappy bluing they use if you can even call it blue.

My wife has a wood stocked Kimber 7-08 84m, with Talley’s and a vx3 2.5-8 it’s 6lb 13 oz. Replacing the rubber pad with a microcell pad would cut 4-5 ounces by itself, and you’re there. My tikka t3x Hunter is about 1/2 lb heavier, but the t3x lights and superlites are significantly less weight than mine. Personally I prefer my tikka to the Kimber, It fits me better, I think the action is smoother out of the box and I don’t care for the Winchester-style safety on the Kimber, but with factory ammo that they like (federal in both cases) they are both sub moa rifles right out of the box.

I bought a factory Kimber Hunter last year in 30-06. I think it's 5.5 or 6 lbs. Hard to beat that for the money.

I've got a Kimber Hunter in 7-08 and I love the rifle. It's light and shoots MOA with me on the trigger, and I'm not a great rifle shot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Barrett Fieldcraft needs to be on your list. Comes in 18” or 21”, 5.3#, excellent ergonomics and the mag box to and twist to shoot high BC bullets.

Take a look at the PM I just shot you. I may have your perfect gun sitting in my safe. 22” barrel, but with that scope and Talley rings you’d be at 6lb 12-13oz. You could have the barrel cut and recrowned easily to get It a little shorter, but the 22” is pretty dang handy and packable.

I have a Tikka Superlite in 7mm-08. With a 12 Oz Swaro + caps, talleys, sling, and three rounds, the rig weighs 7 lb 5.7 oz. Bare rifle weighs 5 lb 15 oz.

I have a 7mm-08 Remington 700 SPS stainless with a 24" barrel. The rifle is a fantastic shooter and with my Nikon 3-9x40 scope it is around 7.5 pounds. Really like that I don't have to worry about weather with the synthetic/stainless combo

I bought a new Remington Model Seven SS 7-08 back in November and love it.
I second this recommendation. I packed one around for a few years that had a compact Leupold 3-9 on it and it's the lightest non carbon barreled rifle I've played with. One thing it has over the Tikkas is it's an actual short action rifle instead of a standard action with a bolt stop, so you shave off a couple ounces there.

My dad got a great deal on a Rem 700 SPS in stainless and couldn't pass it up. He leaves it here at my place for when he comes hunting with me (he's in Ontario and I'm in BC) so its kinda my gun ha ha. Anyways, we cut the barrel to 18.5 inches and that dropped the weight to 5lb15oz. The gun feels great and is very handy. Topped it with a Leupold vx2 2-7x33 with long range reticle in talley rings, total weight is 6 lb 12 oz. .308 is the caliber and it will be used to hunt caribiou, sheep, moose, goats and deer. If I got a good deal on a SPS I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

My tikka with same scope and rings and full length barrel weighs 7lb1oz.

Last edited:
My "Lightweight" is a Win m70 featherweight in 7mm-08. I love that thing. I kinda wish I could have got a stainless version before they discontinued them though.

I wanted something similar in 308. I went with the Kimber Adirondack. I know you didn't mention this one but after you swapped out the stock and hacked the barrel off you'll probably be in the same price range. With Hornady Precision Hunter ammo it shoots tiny groups and I'm not even that great of a shot. Those groups are at 100 yards didn't measure them but definitely sub-moa.
IMG_2137.jpgIMG_2136 2.jpgIMG_1102 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back