Lightweight Remington 700 Stock

So I'm currently building a 700 for the upcoming fall season where I am planning on going elk hunting, however, I am chambering in 308 and plan on using this rifle for a lot more. So I was wondering if there are any suggestions on what stock I could buy to replace the factory one and lose some weight. The factory stock was ~27oz, I have been looking at some Manner, McMillian, Grayboe, and some Wild Cat stocks (but I haven't seen anyone really take about them). I looked in chassis and they're cool and all but I don't think that'd be the best for what I am going for. Any input is appreciated! Thanks

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
Manners UC is around 18 ounces for a short action. The pic is a standard 700 with a fluted bolt and a featherweight barrel. 5.5 pounds bare rifle. I do really like the stock but depending on the rifle there may be less expensive ways to save 8 ounces.D4B9CDA3-88A8-43C6-B36B-2C17EE206D6C.jpeg

Last edited:
What barrel/contour will you be using?? Another one you might consider is one of the AG Composites stocks. They have some lightweight options, if going with a CF wrapped barrel the Proof stocks are great and weigh around 19 ozs.

gbflyer

WKR
It’s going to be hard to get sub-25oz. Maybe the Manners mentioned, not sure. There are some light stocks out there but most of them don’t have much of a rep when compared to McMillan or Manners.

I have a Grayboe Outlander I modified today for a Bighorn Action. Interesting construction, seems like decent material. Reminds me of the fill
McMillan uses for their Edge tech stocks, but there’s no shell. The whole thing is made out of it. The fitment is excellent by the way. It’s a little too beefy for a slim barrel contour. They need to make another mold with a slimmer fore end. . It’s not that big of deal.

So I'm currently building a 700 for the upcoming fall season where I am planning on going elk hunting, however, I am chambering in 308 and plan on using this rifle for a lot more. So I was wondering if there are any suggestions on what stock I could buy to replace the factory one and lose some weight. The factory stock was ~27oz, I have been looking at some Manner, McMillian, Grayboe, and some Wild Cat stocks (but I haven't seen anyone really take about them). I looked in chassis and they're cool and all but I don't think that'd be the best for what I am going for. Any input is appreciated! Thanks
If I had a 700 platform, I'd immediately order a Bansner sheep hunter for it. No question.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Wildcat is great however his insurance screwed him so now he can't ship to the states unless he pays a buttload more money. I have two of his stocks being that I am in AB anyhow.

Bansner. My full length uncut stock (14.5" length of pull with decelerator recoil pad) weighs 26.7 ounces. They are wonderful stocks, very good at reducing felt recoil as well.
Their lead time is really fast right now. I had mine 3 weeks from my order date. But beware......if you get it bare bones, there is a good amount of fitting to be done.

Their lead time is really fast right now. I had mine 3 weeks from my order date. But beware......if you get it bare bones, there is a good amount of fitting to be done.
Yes, good to share. With my M98 action and fitting a 1 piece aftermarket magazine/hinged floor plate I had to do some work to get things fit, and then bed the lug and tang.

But, it's just a little bit at a time, taking my time, and it's been on the rifle around 20 seasons now. Maybe that's part of the reason they can be a relatively good value. If guys want to put in a little bit of work it's a no brainer. I did have them install the recoil pad which I didn't want to do even though I had done it on other rifles.