Lightwt 12 needed, likely a semi...

Coho

FNG
Bad shoulder has be not recoil sensitive, but carrying a heavy gun all day sensitive. Thinking of a retay gordion. There is the benelli ultralight of course. Any thoughts? Experience with the Retay?

Thanks

ianpadron

WKR
Why do you "need" a 12 gauge?

Get a 20 and be done with it. Pound lighter and far easier to shoot.

I haven't killed a bird with a 12 gauge in years, don't miss them one bit.

OP
C

Coho

FNG
I do have a 20...that is a thought. Hunt some very wild pheasant on a huge property that don't hold well. Long shots...

ianpadron

WKR
I'd put some hevi-metal and high end plated lead on a pattern board out of that 20...you might be surprised.

I've stoned roosters at 40 steps with 2 3/4" Fiocchi GPs, number 6s is all I shoot. Choke it tight and let 'er rip.

Benelli 12 gauge Ultralight might be my next gun. Shoulders great for me. The 20 version is REALLY light, almost whippy out front. I have the custom shop version and it's ok but hate the ported barrel.

Hills

FNG
I have a Retay Gordion 12. It's pretty new and haven't shot a ton but so far so good. It is lighter than my Beretta xtrema 2 but my Franchi affinity 20 ga is significantly lighter than both 12s. If carrying weight is the problem I would stick with the 20 and if you can't get the pattern you need for longer range step up to some Winchester longbeard shells. Not like you burn through a ton of shells pheasant hunting.

ianpadron

WKR
Benelli 12 gauge Ultralight might be my next gun. Shoulders great for me. The 20 version is REALLY light, almost whippy out front. I have the custom shop version and it's ok but hate the ported barrel.

I've got the 20 gauge UL with the 24" barrel. First time out with it I think I shot 21 shells and killed 1 sharptail. Most frustrated I've ever been on a hunt...

By about the 3rd hunt with it, every bird that got up within range was pillow-cased.

I had the same experience when I first got my Franchi 48 AL.

"Whippy" guns slow down just fine when you learn how to shoot them. Amazing what our eyes/mind/muscle combo can do with repetition.

dylaneh

FNG
Bad shoulder has be not recoil sensitive, but carrying a heavy gun all day sensitive. Thinking of a retay gordion. There is the benelli ultralight of course. Any thoughts? Experience with the Retay?

Thanks
The Retay cost as much as the Benelli so in my opinion might as well just get a benelli. I personally really like own 2 of them and recommend the Franchii i have 2 12 gauges and a 20. Great gun comes drilled and tapped unlike the Benelli.

The Retay cost as much as the Benelli so in my opinion might as well just get a benelli. I personally really like own 2 of them and recommend the Franchii i have 2 12 gauges and a 20. Great gun comes drilled and tapped unlike the Benelli.
I shouldered a Franchi Affinity 3 Select at Scheels the other day, and it felt awesome. Nice wood too. Little heavy for the OP though.

Dos XX

WKR
Browning A5 Lightning in 12g is 6 lbs 11 oz. It isn't as light at the Benelli U/L. It is a nice shottie though. I have one in 16g that weight 5.75 lbs. It is unbelievably light and shoots great.

The only 12 ga I own is an 870 Express from back in the 80's. I haven't shot it in a long time. I hunt with 20's the most, then 16 or 28 some, too.