Link To All CO Big Game Season Structure Town Halls - Durango - Monday Tonight - May 22nd -

Come one, come all to the CPW circus….
Hopefully your comments can be heard.
Look for a show in your town with this link:

Poser

WKR
Do people intentionally wear hunting brands to these types of meetings? Ie “reckon I’ll put on my KUIU pants for the ol’ CPW meeting so everyone knows that I hunt”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
#3: 50% voted for statewide limitation, limited for NR only. This is in reference to alternative for OTC archery

Poser

WKR
#4: OTC alternative for Rifle:

53% of room voted for statewide limitation, limited for both R and NR.

40% for statewide limitations, limiting NR only.

0% for OTC private land only

6% for status quo.

Poser

WKR
Seems apparent that there is not anywhere near enough support to move Mzl season out of archery/Sept season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BrokenArrow
Thank you Sir. I add nothing as my 6 year hijacked my communication device for the whole thing. lol

Poser

WKR
Good meeting. Interesting insights. They had a live survey available for attendees to provide feedback to surveys online.

Poorly attended compared to the last meeting I attended when wolves were a hot topic. Comments and feedback from the audience were largely constructive and realistic (the wolf meeting quickly spiraled into unrealistically demands and non constructive criticism). Attendees seemed to largely be concerned with the priority of the animals and the realistic integrity of the hunting seasons with an awareness that there are perspectives other than their own.

Also noted that CPW is not largely concerned with the loss of their revenue with regards to ending OTC. Draw caps will start high and be adjusted as needed: ie where they may have sold 1000 OTC tags in the past, they might expect sell 850 draw tags for a difference of “a few million dollars”

HOT ROD

WKR
I am surprised that %53 voted to limited R and NR kind of thought residents of Colorado would want to keep OTC and limit NR first...

Poser

WKR
I am surprised that %53 voted to limited R and NR kind of thought residents of Colorado would want to keep OTC and limit NR first...

It was explained that “OTC alternatives” would be generous tag allocations. The shifts from OTC in the SW exemplify this strategy. From the explanation, it would appear that the only disadvantage to shifting away from OTC would be the fact that a person would have to apply for the draw which, CPW always points out, results in some people not hunting. A certain amount of people expect to buy tags at Walmart and refuse to use a draw system or leftover tag pool. This is why OTC with caps has been presented as an option by CPW.

I think in a room full of dedicated hunters who are serious enough about hunting to attend a meeting on a Monday night (that wasn’t very many), the draw system if comfortable, the tag allocations are generous and weighted for Residents, why not allow the biologists more room to make micro adjustments season to season based on external factors effecting the herd numbers.

It was stated that archery season is experiencing far more growth than 3rd season rifle. There may also be a a “fairness” factor at play: if we are limiting archery to draw, we should also limit rifle seasons to draw. Hard to say: you are out in a position to vote in a favor of 1/4 non nuanced positions.

OP
BrokenArrow
That’s because R’s are finally realizing that our herds are diminishing. We need to protect them immediately. It’s a long term thing for me and a lot of my cohorts. Separate from the fact that the new R hunters are just clueless transplants from somewhere else. Better to limit the ones that just do it cause Joe does (halfway joking)
NR’s, for the most part, have zero clue.

If the commission ignores all this town hall data, I’m gonna take this as a personal insult and take more drastic action.
I’m literally at one last chance (again) with this commission because I’m hoping they actually listen this time! Sorry I’m an optimist. It burns me sometimes

Last edited:

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
If the commission ignores all this town hall data, I’m gonna take this as a personal insult and take more drastic action.
What sort of action? I want to be more optimistic, but if you think there is more you can do, just as well try it now. I don’t think we are going to see the changes most are hoping for.

Woitey

FNG
I agree. I think most decisions are already made, and this is just mandated kabuki theater.

OP
BrokenArrow
What sort of action? I want to be more optimistic, but if you think there is more you can do, just as well try it now. I don’t think we are going to see the changes most are hoping for.
No disagreement here,
I am gonna try to be like this: In the movie Shawshank Redemption, the character Andy Dufrain wrote a letter a week to the prison funding board to improve the prison library. They gave him a little money. They thought it would shut him up. Well, he wasn't satisfied and started writing 2 letters a week. After a few years they finally just built him a library to shut him up.
I may not know how to voice my opinion yet. But attending meetings, writing letters, and harping the same thing over and over again, might get something done. I am trying to believe the system has to work????

We can all also hope that by laying this information out there now a new governor and political change might be able to adapt more quickly for the future if we have already done the "early lifting" for them.