Locator Call

Looking forward to turkey season and planning to pick up a new locator call. What are y’alls favorite locators?

I’ve currently got a cheap owl call that I got in a beginner kit but was looking to see if anyone has suggestions for what to upgrade to. I’m in the southeast.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
Harrison owl screamer, also does pileated wood pecker and a peacock, can even get a wood duck out of it.

It cuts through the air really well.

Chaser96

FNG
If you can. Learn to owl hoot with your voice. If not, I’m a big fan of my woodhaven owl call. I’ve had great luck making birds gobble that wouldn’t answer my dad and brother voice hooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
Limited experience here, but I’ll share it regardless. Last year I planned on using my dad’s hoot tube that had always worked when we hunted together and sounds great. Ended up not having it, and bought a super cheap owl hooter from Walmart. The sound could easily be mistaken for one of those wooden train horns things that I played with as a kid. But it sure worked for me. Heavily pressured public land birds may be more picky but I can’t justify buying another one if mine works. If there was a way to upload a video and I knew how, I would lol

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
I've never tried an owl hoot call, but I was feeling my oats hunting with my son one beautiful morning, and figured the Hunting Public guys made it look so easy with just their mouths that I let loose a wail. To this day I still couldn't say what the heck kind of noise burst forth from my mouth but sure it was no owl.

I can, however, operate a goose call, and have had some success getting a gobble with one of those.

OP
Ferrulewax
Limited experience here, but I’ll share it regardless. Last year I planned on using my dad’s hoot tube that had always worked when we hunted together and sounds great. Ended up not having it, and bought a super cheap owl hooter from Walmart. The sound could easily be mistaken for one of those wooden train horns things that I played with as a kid. But it sure worked for me. Heavily pressured public land birds may be more picky but I can’t justify buying another one if mine works. If there was a way to upload a video and I knew how, I would lol

Pretty sure I have that same call. Definitely doesn’t sound like an owl, but half the owls I hear don’t sound like owls either. I know guys that slam their truck doors on purpose to get a shock gobble, so maybe I’m overthinking it.

dylaneh

FNG
Looking forward to turkey season and planning to pick up a new locator call. What are y’alls favorite locators?

I’ve currently got a cheap owl call that I got in a beginner kit but was looking to see if anyone has suggestions for what to upgrade to. I’m in the southeast.
It sounds crazy but i use a goose call. I use one from power calls cost $60. It is the loudest locator call i have had and i have tried a bunch you can Do crow and owl with it and If you ever take up goose hunting you’ll already have a call lol

Trapline

FNG
I bought an owl call and a crow call. I am thinking Owl early morning/evening and crow mid day. Time to start driving the roads, can't wait, burning PTO on yard birds.

I highly recommend the Hook’s custom calls hootin stick! I have a peacock call, cheap crow call and usually owl hooted with my mouth for years, but this call took it to a new level. Much farther range and realistic sounding. Shane Simpson on YouTube has some good tutorials running an owl call. It has changed the game for me and resulted in a few more dead turkeys I could get to gobble on the roost way further than my voice could reach.