New Turkey call

I’m going on a nice private land Turkey hunt in April and have the itch for a new call. I have an off the shelf primos glass pot call I’m pretty proficient with, so I’d like to stick to a pot call. I’ve tried the mouth calls but I just can’t figure it out.

Any suggestions on a nice one to have for the next 20 years?

Chaser96

FNG
I’d recommend joining a turkey forum. Old gobbler or gobbler nation and getting with some of the makers on the site. Any would make a great long lasting call. I’m not a big pot call guy so I can’t really help with specifics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fowl Play

WKR
I have several calls from different guys you can find on the forums. Two consistently make my vest.

One is by a call maker named Michael Yingling. I have a couple of his calls, all beautiful and sound great. Can hit him up on old gobbler or Facebook. Around this time of year he starts posting different calls he’s made every week on Facebook. And I have to control myself not to buy another.

The other is a Lonnie Sneed call (Hot Hen). He’s much more old school and only does phone calls. I can message you his number if you would like. His calls are not going to win any beauty contests , but it’s my go to and I’ve callled more in with it than any other.

OP
B
I have several calls from different guys you can find on the forums. Two consistently make my vest.

One is by a call maker named Michael Yingling. I have a couple of his calls, all beautiful and sound great. Can hit him up on old gobbler or Facebook. Around this time of year he starts posting different calls he’s made every week on Facebook. And I have to control myself not to buy another.

The other is a Lonnie Sneed call (Hot Hen). He’s much more old school and only does phone calls. I can message you his number if you would like. His calls are not going to win any beauty contests , but it’s my go to and I’ve callled more in with it than any other.
Shot you a Pm

OP
B
I’d recommend joining a turkey forum. Old gobbler or gobbler nation and getting with some of the makers on the site. Any would make a great long lasting call. I’m not a big pot call guy so I can’t really help with specifics

Thanks, I’ll check out those forums.

Fowl Play

WKR
Shot you a Pm
Actually remembered his number is on the back of the call. Pics attached so you know what I mean by not the prettiest piece. They are actually two pieces and I’m pretty sure he forms the pot by actually steam rolling and gluing it together — not milling it out as is typically done. Then “hides” the seems with his little hand drawn turkey tracks.
Although an unusual build and not instagram worthy. He has an almost cult like following on Old Gobbler. And from my experience it is for good reason.
IMG_0477.jpeg
IMG_0478.jpeg
IMG_0479.jpeg

OP
B
I’m gonna be calling mr sneed tomorrow, I think those calls looks cool and love the character!

TWill_61

FNG
I really like the double sided calls from JTs Calls. They have a great sound and it’s nice to have a slate over glass or even the waterproof version.

dylaneh

FNG
I’m going on a nice private land Turkey hunt in April and have the itch for a new call. I have an off the shelf primos glass pot call I’m pretty proficient with, so I’d like to stick to a pot call. I’ve tried the mouth calls but I just can’t figure it out.

Any suggestions on a nice one to have for the next 20 years?
I agree with a lot of people on here on getting a custom call. I think they can be made to work the best. However, if you want to go a little bit cheaper route Woodhaven calls makes very good stuff. I would suggest either a pot call or box call as something very easy to use. Also houndstooth game calls are very good as well.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a unique idea, make your own!
20200326_122030.jpg
Here's a "few" I made up.

Unfortunately, you gotta kill a turkey 🦃 to make one! LOL!

Don’t buy a call without checking out Houndstooth Game Calls.

I will second this. Shared camp with the owner once and loved the way his call sounded. I asked him where he got it and he told me he makes them, so I bought his off of him. Been my go-to call for the last several years.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed one this season. However I am not to confident in my ability to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I found an article in an outdoor magazine. I would imagine that somewhere on YouTube you can find instructions on how to make one.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
Guess I sounded a bit curt there, dylaneh.
I was sitting in a doctor's office, reading an outdoor magazine and stumbled onto an article on how to make a "wingbone" call.
It wasn't long after that, I happened to kill a turkey. On a whim, I went "back" to the doctor's office and located the article!
It's become one of those obsession type things. If I ever kill a turkey, I "WILL" make calls with the wing bones!
I think I'm more excited about the wing bones than I am about the actual turkey breast, legs and thighs! LOL!

I have run 4-5 different primos calls an HS strut or two, and some custom calls the past 20 years, but found the woodhaven classic crystal to be the easiest plug and play for a pot call for myself and some friends I hunt with. I have used it the past 3 years and it is now my personal 20 year pot call. Good luck this spring!