Long Range Lead Slinging Story on Meateater Podcast

ODB

WKR
That scene plays out far more often than people would care to believe I'm sure.

I bow hunt only for big game so my hunt hasn't even started at 700!

This resonates deeply.... I ONLY bowhunted for the first 30 years of my hunting (recurves mostly) ...and east coast at that. I never thought "he's within range" until he hit 25 yards. Even today with a rifle my first thought is always, "How do I get closer" even if the damn thing is 75 yards away...

The farther someone shoots, the more time an animal has to take a step forward or change its angle in relation to the shooter. At some point it doesn't matter how good of a shot someone is, there are variables that start to be out of the realm of predictability. That's why I am not a huge fan of long range hunting. I also think some people do it because they suck at getting close to animals (aka hunting).

Ucsdryder

WKR
There’s a guy on YouTube that rides a bike and he’s the stereotypical bicycle asshole. The ones that think they own the road. He gets thousands of views and comments which are usually extremely negative. But let’s face it, he’s laughing all the way to the bank. I think some of these Podcasters are taking a similar path. Any publicity is good publicity.

I really don’t know how I feel about this. I’m all for freedom and fewer laws. For myself, I don’t shoot unless I’m sure and I practice diligently to increase the max range where that certainly is felt. But I also intentionally hunt with a caliber that maxes out and the range I’ve set as my limit so I’m not tempted by adrenaline to go further. I also remember all my jack O’Connor books with plenty of stories about throwing bullets at running game with a mix of results… so the old timers had the same decisions to make for different reasons, without the equipment we have now.

I think maybe it’s a question of this: do I want to hunt in a way that I’M proud of, or do I want to hunt to impress somebody else. That mindset won’t likely get me on anybody’s podcast, but that’s cool with me I’ve been hiding my whole life.

I've said it here before and got skewered for it, but it is flat out unethical and against the Rules of Fair Chase outlined by B&C.
It is undeniable that time of flight at those ranges can be a full second. Next time you are watching an elk walking through a spotting scope say "one one thousand" which takes a second to say. Watch that elk walk what?.....12 feet?
You can be the best shot in the world with the best equipment and live game can flat out walk out of the shot AFTER the trigger is pulled.
I choose to get as close or play the game another day.

MattB

WKR
Why is it always the long-range guys? I know of a YTer who put an arrow into two different bulls last year at under 30 yards. He didn't find either bull.

It's important to understand that a bad shot is a bad shot, irrespective of the weapon used.
Regrettable, but I bet that YouTuber had at least shot to 30 yards before.

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
I'll bite....one reason it's different is because in most scenarios guys who are shooting long range can't even get to where they are shooting to in a reasonable amount of time to check for a hit/miss/wounded animal etc.

We got tons of dudes shooting across huge canyons that will take them hours to cross to confirm they hit or missed, how is that even remotely ethical?

That doesn't even factor in how in the heck you find the exact spot the animal was standing once you get there. Sometimes that's hard to do when they are only 100yds away, let alone 700 or 800 or 1,000.

Not gonna be a popular opinion here but I really wish that Game Departments would start putting more regulations in place to stop the long range craze....no dial able turrets, ban bipods, ban range finders....do something at least.

Yes, I know it takes a ton of skill and practice to be able to effectively shoot long range but if you are shooting something from so far away that it doesn't have ANY chance to even know that you existed....are you really hunting or are you just shooting?
Just what we need the government jamming more regulations up our ass. "Do something at least" sounds just like the anti gun crowd everytime there is a shooting even though the something they are proposing will do nothing.

I've said it here before and got skewered for it, but it is flat out unethical and against the Rules of Fair Chase outlined by B&C.
It is undeniable that time of flight at those ranges can be a full second. Next time you are watching an elk walking through a spotting scope say "one one thousand" which takes a second to say. Watch that elk walk what?.....12 feet?
You can be the best shot in the world with the best equipment and live game can flat out walk out of the shot AFTER the trigger is pulled.
I choose to get as close or play the game another day.
So are you against all archery hunting? They have plenty of time to move on all but point blank shots from a bow.
I’m not defending crappy shooters from either category, but just like an archery hunter you can tell when an animal is taking a pause or resting vs wound up and moving erratically.

I believe that people will more easily take shots beyond their capabilities with rifles. It's easy for people to pick up a rifle and scope with BDC/turrets and think they can shoot 600+ yards. They sight in at 100 and assume they are good to whatever their scope can go to. They never even have to shoot past 100 yards. This is much harder to mentally accomplish with a bow. You don't practice at 20 yards then just assume your 60 yard pin is on. You actually have to shoot to see if your pin is on, to a point. One can assume that if they aim a little high with their last pin they can get another few yards. And people will do this. I just think it's easier for a rifle hunter to think they are capable where they aren't. Now just taking bad shots where you know you are just hoping is poor form by anyone.

Why is it always the long-range guys? I know of a YTer who put an arrow into two different bulls last year at under 30 yards. He didn't find either bull.

It's important to understand that a bad shot is a bad shot, irrespective of the weapon used.

It's brought up more on LR guys because of the accessibility of obtaining a capable weapon and the lack of understanding of what it takes to be able to consistently and ethically kill at that distance. I think LR hunting is also a little more prominent in media/influencers/advertising.

I think most hunters understand bowhunting/archery is much harder and understand that a 60 yard shot on game is really tough and requires a shit ton of practice. I don't think that's the case with rifle hunting.

I also think hunters usually understand a lot of practice is required with archery, so they do it. Whereas a lot of hunters will consider 100 rounds a year sufficient for rifle. Point and shoot. Easy peasy, of course.

I'm far better with a bow than a rifle.

Felix40

WKR
Everyone blaming the weapon is so stupid. For the most part, the same guys wounding stuff with bows are the same ones wounding stuff with guns. They are just doing it in a different season. The fact of the matter is that some people just can’t help but “pull the trigger”.

This kid took several shots that he probably shouldn’t have and he got lucky. At the end of his story he said he is going to bow hunt now. I would bet an entire paycheck that he will make similar shooting decisions. Maybe it will bite him in the butt or maybe it won’t.

LostArra

WKR
Did anyone else cringe while listening to the kid tell his big bull story at the beginning of this week's Meateater podcast episode? I'm a hillbilly from back east who can't see 700 yards in most of the places I hunt (much less try to take a shot at that distance), so maybe I'm simply naive/ignorant about western rifle hunting norms, but taking multiple shots beyond the range you've practiced at sure seems like a bad idea. See below for an abbreviated transcript. I'm curious to hear other perspectives on this.

(Connor): [The bull] is at 689 yards and I [thought] I got a whole ‘nother week of the hunt, might as well try to pull the trigger . . . if I miss then I got another week.
(Cal): Are you a hold over guy or are you dialing?
(Connor): Hold over . . . It's a Christmas tree scope. It's got 5 notches on it. The farthest it goes is 600 but there's this little notch at the very end that I use for 700.
(Steve): So you do a little bit of long distance shooting?
(Connor): No, that was the first time I've ever shot that far . . . So I miss the first shot and the bull just stood there like nothing happened . . . My dad [said] “Shoot again, shoot again . . . You missed high.” I [thought] I gotta readjust for wind and all that. Shot again, high-backed him and his back legs dropped. And he just stood there again. My dad [said] “Load another one and shoot”, and I did, and it double lunged him.
👍I'm relieved to know I wasn't the only one cringing when I heard that

Who is showing up to defend this behavior?
I don't think a single person has, if you're referring to him lobbing 700 yard hail mary shots at an animal. The discussion was more about people trying to extrapolate what he did to paint all longer-range hunting as unethical and careless.

I don't think a single person has, if you're referring to him lobbing 700 yard hail mary shots at an animal. The discussion was more about people trying to extrapolate what he did to paint all longer-range hunting as unethical and careless.

I took @Wingshooter's post to mean that people take unethical shots because YouTube personalities glorify it. Not that what the YouTuber's do is inherently unethical.

But, isn't it funny how the guilty always show up to defend themselves against accusations that weren't even made. ;)

I took @Wingshooter's post to mean that people take unethical shots because YouTube personalities glorify it. Not that what the YouTuber's do is inherently unethical.
No one replied to Wingshooter though?
But, isn't it funny how the guilty always show up to defend themselves against accusations that weren't even made. ;)
I'm going to remain hopeful for your reading comprehension and just assume you didn't read the thread before replying.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I get the same, "You gotta be sh..... me!" thoughts with 700 yard shots as I do with guys yammering about making 50 to 60 (and even 70!) yard shots with their "Magic Pixie Dust", 3.5" Magnum Super-Duper, $10/shell turkey ammo!

Look, stuff is gonna happen! Old Murphy doesnt spare anyone! If you aren't close enough to make a high percentage shot, let 'im walk! It's just another reason to go back tomorrow....or next year!
I limit myself to about 200 yards. I'm not worried about the gun or it's accuracy, it's my old bleary eyes and shaky hands that ol' Murphy likes to play with! LOL!