Long range left hand rifle recommendations

Ian_clark

FNG
Howdy guys,
First post here and I’m curious on some thoughts and recommendations for long range hunting rifles that are for left hand shooters. I currently have a CA Ridgeline in 6.5CM, but ethically I feel like I need something with more killing power. I also don’t like the stock on the Ridgeline. I’m looking for something preferably in 7mm PRC
Or 7mm REM Mag with with a stock more designed for long range. Trying not to spend more than 3k on the rifle
Does anyone have experience with the built Tikkas by Nielson Custom Rifles?
I’ve looked at everything by Weatherby, Tikka, Browning, CA and it seems like Fierce might be my only decent option.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

What is your max range? With good bullet selection your 6.5 cm is a very capable rifle. A Christensen should use a rem 700 footprint so you can easily change the stock for something that fits you better. Other wise I would recommend a tikka to drop in a stock of your choice or a browning xbolt long range.

Marshfly

WKR
Weatherby makes darn near all of their Mark V iterations in left hand. Try the Apex.

bellboy

Lil-Rokslider
I put a ag composite stock on my left handed ca ridgeline with minimal issue. I had to file out a small spot for the bolt release and had to cut a couple threads off the actions screws. Pretty simple. I have the original stock up for sale is anyone is interested.
de054e7625a86161cf8ff70cf1971f2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ian_clark

Ian_clark

FNG
What is your max range? With good bullet selection your 6.5 cm is a very capable rifle. A Christensen should use a rem 700 footprint so you can easily change the stock for something that fits you better. Other wise I would recommend a tikka to drop in a stock of your choice or a browning xbolt long range.
I’ve been shooting 143gr ELD-X for the past 4 years with the rifle and I have taken 3 elk and 3 bucks with it. Farthest kill was at 465 on a buck and all elk were under 400. I want to feel confident out to 700 and with a 6.5CM I personally don’t feel it’s carrying enough energy with it. Again this is all personal and for my peace of mind.
Can you buy just the Tikka action?

OP
Ian_clark

Ian_clark

FNG
Weatherby makes darn near all of their Mark V iterations in left hand. Try the Apex.

I do like the Apex, but I’m trying to stay away from 300 win mag. However I may very well go that route. Do you have any experience with any of the Weatherby rounds?

OP
Ian_clark

Ian_clark

FNG
I put a ag composite stock on my left handed ca ridgeline with minimal issue. I had to file out a small spot for the bolt release and had to cut a couple threads off the actions screws. Pretty simple. I have the original stock up for sale is anyone is interested.
de054e7625a86161cf8ff70cf1971f2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What stock model?

I’ve been shooting 143gr ELD-X for the past 4 years with the rifle and I have taken 3 elk and 3 bucks with it. Farthest kill was at 465 on a buck and all elk were under 400. I want to feel confident out to 700 and with a 6.5CM I personally don’t feel it’s carrying enough energy with it. Again this is all personal and for my peace of mind.
Can you buy just the Tikka action?
Tikka actions are available from j&a outdoors I believe they are a sponsor here.

gerry35

WKR

This would have been my suggestion.

I do like the Apex, but I’m trying to stay away from 300 win mag. However I may very well go that route. Do you have any experience with any of the Weatherby rounds?
That would have been my suggestion. The Apex rifles sure look good. Not sure if the 6.5 Wby RPM, 280 AI or 300 WM would be of interest. We can't always get exactly what we want but Weatherby sure does offer a nice product.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, you would probably be well served to buy a used tikka with the proper bolt face. Get the barrel removed and sell it as well as the stock.

I'm using prefit ibi barrels with a barrel nut so it only takes a few minutes to switch calibers so I can go from 22-250ai to 6.5x55 to 280 ackley very quickly. Almost any rh chassis or stock can easily be modified for lh use with a bolt cut out and sometimes a small indent for the bolt release pin.

The factory stock is also easily modified for heavier barrels and I find it quite stiff and capable of great accuracy.

I don't have my 280 ai barrel yet but should in the next month or so.

Marshfly

WKR
This would have been my suggestion.

That would have been my suggestion. The Apex rifles sure look good. Not sure if the 6.5 Wby RPM, 280 AI or 300 WM would be of interest. We can't always get exactly what we want but Weatherby sure does offer a nice product.
I was ho-hum about the Apex until I handled one. Extremely nice feel with the Bastion stock. I would love to see a Backcountry barreled action setup in that stock. Having a vertical grip with an ultralight rifle would be a great setup.

gerry35

WKR
I was ho-hum about the Apex until I handled one. Extremely nice feel with the Bastion stock. I would love to see a Backcountry barreled action setup in that stock. Having a vertical grip with an ultralight rifle would be a great setup.
Great to hear. Haven't handled one yet but sure do like the idea of the 6 lug version that only weighs 6.5 lbs with #3 contour barrel. With the lighter barreled action I bet you could shave a pound easily of of that yet. I bet Peak 44 will be able to offer that stock inletted for the Backcountry barreled action.

Marshfly

WKR
Great to hear. Haven't handled one yet but sure do like the idea of the 6 lug version that only weighs 6.5 lbs with #3 contour barrel. With the lighter barreled action I bet you could shave a pound easily of of that yet. I bet Peak 44 will be able to offer that stock inletted for the Backcountry barreled action.
That might be an idea. Find an older backcountry with the original stock and swap for a Bastion.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
28 Nosler should give you all of the horsepower you want😇

If you end up in the Gillette area, I have a couple of LH rifles I would move.
I don't have them for sale currently, but I don't use rifles very often.
One is a total custom 28 Nosler, and the other is a Remington 700 300 RUM.

Truth is, I am guessing you are looking for something more like a 6.5 PRC, 7mm SAUM, etc...