Long Range Scope Help

Looking for a scope to put on my long range 7PRC. Was leaning towards a night force but after doing some research the Maven RS1.2 and Trijicon seem appealing. I don't want a fancy reticle, nor illumination. Lighter the better I want a bulletproof scope. Will be used up to 1200 yards. Havent decided on first focal plane or second or magnification. Looking for advice.

Havent decided on first focal plane or second
It's not a decision, go with FFP. You're looking at the two best options, and I guess the NF SHV F1 would be in third place behind those two. The F1 SHV though, not anything SFP. There's a like-new demo SHV F1 at Euro right now but man do I despise that MIL-R reticle.

Far as I can tell the lowest SHV price is the EuroOptic demo model, Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP MRAD is lowest at OpticsPlanet ($1,132), and Maven RS1.2 is still $1,200 but the MIL version may not be back in stock until May or June. Given all these options and prices I'd probably go with the Trijicon unless you can wait 2-3 months for the Maven or want the Nightforce brand name.

OP
N
How is the glass on the SHV compared to the ten mile and maven. I’m switching from a mark5 love the boss but the durability isn’t there.

How is the glass on the SHV compared to the ten mile and maven. I’m switching from a mark5 love the boss but the durability isn’t there.
If you're switching from a Mark 5HD then wouldn't a comparison closer to that price be the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50? Or am I thinking of the wrong price range?

nobody

WKR
The glass in any of the optics you’re considering will never limit your ability to take and make shots. I personally like the color through Maven glass, but the SHV and Trijicon both have solid glass.

If you can fit the shorter NF NX8 2.5-20 on your action (it's short at 112" vs 13.4" for the 4-32) would be a great choice. I have both and find that shooting out to 1000 at my house, the 2.5-20 has enough to hit the targets, and spot my impacts at lower settings. The nice thing of the 4-32 is that I can zoom in and really see exactly where my hits are. I would go with a FFP and their MOAR reticle I really like since it's pretty clean and doesn't have the Christmas tree that I found I don't need in hunting situations. I was able to find a pretty good deal on a demo on Euro Optic, think I paid around $1600 for my 2.5-20. Of course, durability is proven on these...

bluekiss

FNG
For 7prc, I'll recommend the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 or Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50 SFP or 3-18x44 FFP.

Looking for a scope to put on my long range 7PRC. Was leaning towards a night force but after doing some research the Maven RS1.2 and Trijicon seem appealing. I don't want a fancy reticle, nor illumination. Lighter the better I want a bulletproof scope. Will be used up to 1200 yards. Havent decided on first focal plane or second or magnification. Looking for advice.
Light and bulletproof are going to limit you to a Trijicon, the glass is pretty good on the tenmile/credo but not quite on par with a mk5.

I will caution you on NF, the SHV and NXS have piss poor glass compared to both Trijicon and mk5s.
I was shooting a buddies rifle last month and his NXS was terrible to look through, my 3-18 tenmile smoked it, and the tenmile is nothing special.

bpctcb

WKR
I will caution you on NF, the SHV and NXS have piss poor glass compared to both Trijicon and mk5s.
I was shooting a buddies rifle last month and his NXS was terrible to look through, my 3-18 tenmile smoked it, and the tenmile is nothing special.
You’re the first person I’ve heard say a NXS was terrible to look through. Was it damaged?
You say your ten mile smoked it, but it’s nothing special.
With your logic a NXS is equivalent to a $199 scope sold at a box store.
I’m calling bullshit here on your evaluation of an NXS.

BP

You’re the first person I’ve heard say a NXS was terrible to look through. Was it damaged?

BP
Uh the Tenmile is a little more than $199, it has good glass for the price but nothing that'll knock your socks off.
Looking through his NXS 5.5-22 was like looking through 20 year old mid grade optical technology, which is exactly what it is.
Compare one to a few other newer scopes in the $2k range and you'll know what I mean

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I like my nightforce. I have a nxs, nx8, and my wife has the atacr. For the nxs to be called a garbage scope I feel like it had fogged up covers or something? Mine has been a beat up truck gun and is comparable to our atacr. I will say nightforce are heavy. With that being said I would take it over any other optic I’ve personally shot.

Cyril

FNG
I agree with others stating poor glass on NXS. I just couldn't buy it. Switching from Zeiss to nightforce for exposed turrets and reliability. The NX8 had significantly brighter glass and better colors to me than the NXS. With the demo model the price was close enough that I went NX8. Credo and ten mile were somewhere in the middle. I guess everyone's eyes are different but the glass in the NXS was something I just couldn't fathom for over $1k scope.

Article 4

WKR
Is this a hunting, precision, or both scope?

Agree with much of what has been said here with NF, Maven, and the Mark 5 although the Mark 4 might be a great choices as well.
Pay attention to available reticles with FFP scopes out to realistic distances. I prefer something more clean, for hunting like the one on the left, that gives me the option of holding for windage and holdover if I want and doesn't invade a ton of visible area at max power so I can still see the animal more. The one on the rights is a bit busy for most shooters outside tactical and PRS style shooting and is alot to look at for hunting at max power in FFP but to each their own

Attachments

• download-1.png
    download-1.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 20
  • download.png
    download.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 20

Article 4

WKR

BP
I will second the NXS glass criticism but ONLY when compared to other price point scopes. What I have noticed is that the reticles and glass are very good however at the highest magnifications, the visible light transmission seems to fall off a cliff. Especially with the NX8's.