Longevity of the 7mm-08?

Loper

WKR
How long do you think the 7mm-08 will hang around? It’s always been the little brother to the 308 and now with the 6.5 CM being so popular it has really taken a back seat as the mild recoiling cartridge that is big game capable. It has never been a ubiquitous round, but hasn’t been just the flavor of the month either. I assume it will continue to be popular for mountain hunters who want a short action, lightweight rifle with suitable punch for big game, but I wonder about its longevity beyond that as it seems pretty boxed in between the 6.5 CM and 308.

I’ve always wanted a rifle chambered in 7mm-08 and just recently acquired one. However, since buying it and looking at store shelves (I know I can order online) I’m wondering if the 7mm-08 is going to fade into obscurity down the road.

gman82001

WKR
It’s not going anywhere it’s been around a long time and will continue to be. I’d really like to get one myself but I have so many other guns already but maybe some day If I have grandkids I can get them their first hunting rifles chambered in 7-08 I think it’d be perfect

Watched my Dad fill many buck and bull tags from the 90's forward with his mighty 7mm-08. I've now got two of them and more in the plans. It's a great round and it'll be around for many years to come hopefully. Fast, Flat, Low Recoil, Great Knockdown Power, lightweight gun options, accurate and just plain fun to shoot.

Behemoth

FNG
Had one when I started out 20 years ago. Just got my son one because he didn't like the 270 recoil. I bet it is here to stay. But it can be hard to find the week before the season.

What Unklebob said. I have a lifetime supply of .308 brass ready when I need it. Own three 7mm-08s and two of my kids have one each.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Have had one for maybe 10 years now, along with the .270. I generally leave the 270 in the safe. Factory rounds are awesome, hand loads even better. Hornady 139gr in bad medicine for whitetail and wild boar.

Wife has one and I sure do love the round! Scheels recently pulled all Barnes 7mm08 off the shelf left only with hornady interlocks. Not my favorite personally. I hope they bring the Barnes 120s back in store!

It concerned me but yes a lot online and cheap to reload for.

KMW831

FNG
We have three in our family. I like hunting with it because they're light, handy sized rifles, low recoil, relatively quiet with low muzzle blast (no need for a brake or a can) my wife and kids love the low recoil. Flat shooting, accurate, deer to 600, elk to 400 decisively. I think it's more popular than we might realize, but it's never been a hype train... Kind of a sleeper cartridge. Versatile, it pushes 120's - 162's. Lots to like.

I'm just starting to learn to reload and it seems it's easy to find brass for, lots of good bullets available. Efficient, works well with a lot of readily available powders.

I grew up hunting deer/elk in Montana. Used a few cartridges during that time. 30-30, 30-40 Kraig, 30.06, 7x57 Swede and a 7mm-08.

After a long time away from hunting, well, my two oldest sons hit hunting age the last couple of years and I didn't want them to miss out on the experiences I had. When I started looking for hunting rifles for myself and my boys a lot of people told me to get them a 6.5CM and myself some kind of magnum or PRC.

I thought, eh, those sound cool but I loved the 7-08 I hunted with when I was 12, I wonder if that cartridge is still around. It didn't take long to realize that despite the creeds popularity, there was still a sizable and loyal following for the 7-08, plenty of recent threads on forums singing it's praises, tons of reloading info and what appears to be a bit more attention on it than I remember there being in the 90's with all the popular YouTubers having at least one video talking about how cool the cartridge is.

By the way, when did hunting on YouTube become a thing? It almost seems like hunting is becoming the new golf 🤣

TxLite

WKR
I don’t see it going anywhere. It performs very well for lots of scenarios, it’s incredibly easy to load for, several premium brass options, and lots of 7mm bullet offerings. If I got into a bind and needed to buy factory ammo, there’s tons of factory ammo options in my area and I always see it on the shelves available for purchase.

It’s one of my favorite short action cartridges.

Vern400

WKR
The barrel on my deer rifle I bought in 1989 is about shot out. Above 3,000 rounds down the pipe, and more importantly camping trips in the salt marsh where rust happens in like 3 seconds.

Anyway, when I rebarrel I'm seriously thinking about 7- 08 or even 6.5-08. They're not going anywhere. And anybody that can reload can make brass from the parent.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
At least as long as the 308 and 243. At least the rest of your life and any offspring…

Hurley88

FNG
I’ve had seven different 7mm-08 rifles and it’s been a mainstay for me for 15yrs. It’s more a true hunting cartridge than those on either side of it. Want to go monometal? The 120gr options are known to hammer. Standard cup & core? 140gr has a long history of doing the job. Long range? Load a 162 ELDM long and you’ll best both the 6.5 Creed & 308 Win.

But all that said, I understand the worry about its longevity. The target world has a much heavier influence than pure hunting rounds, hence the popularity of the 308 and then the 6.5CM. Recently picked up my first, second & third 6.5 just because it’s so ubiquitous and pricing out rifle builds it was clear the switch was worth it. Everything is chambered in 6.5 and there are barreled actions ready to go in that chambering. The savings in time & money were substantial enough that I added it to my sets of dies.

However, I’ve had two buddies just pick up a 7mm-08 after discussing it with them for a while. Neither of them have scopes with turrets, nor are interested in long range. It’s for this key reason I don’t see it going anywhere long term. Western hunting is a blend of long range & hunting disciplines, but there’s still a strong target community and a strong 300yd hunting community. Each of these tend to stick to their own trends, and likely will for some time yet.