Looking for Hunting Partner OTC AZ Mulies

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
I had some buddies who were supposed to come with me to hunt OTC mulies this year, but they didn't get their tags in time. I wanted to see if anyone wanted to tag along - I'm a complete novice when it comes to Western hunting, so I don't mind at all if you're the same. Going into it with the mindset that I'll learn a lot and if I get lucky, may be able to draw my bow once or twice. Let me know if you're interested

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Southern Arizona?
Probably not, but depends on temps in the area. Coming from out East, pretty sure I'd be using my inReach a ton in 110 degree weather and rack up quite a debt

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Where were you guys going to go originally?
One of them had family in Tuscon, so we were going to give 32 a shot. Now that I'll be camping, open to anything that's consistently under 95 degrees, although ideally around 85. Never hunted in that type of heat before and don't want my first trip out West to get ruined cuz I got heat stroke or something

Muley Tag

FNG
I believe the Catalina Mountains are just above there and the top peaks, Mtn Lemmon, is over 9100’. Wouldn’t be too warm there in Aug and Coues to chase up there.

Weldor

WKR
33 is closed for Mulies, I believe the qouta was met in Jan. There's a website you can check before coming out. There's alot of units closed for 24 already.

aschuler

FNG
33 is closed for Mulies, I believe the qouta was met in Jan. There's a website you can check before coming out. There's alot of units closed for 24 already.
The OTC season "opens" in August, so all the quotas will reset then. I live on the edge of 33, it's not great for mulies, but you can find them if you know where to look.

BBob

WKR
Now that I'll be camping, open to anything that's consistently under 95 degrees, although ideally around 85.
If you’re looking for those daytime temps don’t expect to find them down here in August/September at least for mule deer and a lot of Coues deer country too. Better find something north above the rim. Be aware that some of those units up there will close very quickly for mule deer.

Weldor

WKR
I live in 33 your right not great for Mulies. last year qouta was 15, that's like one or two days at most.

BBob

WKR
Not really…..because it doesn’t officially close until the next Wednesday, correct?
Correct which is why units like unit 1 end up way over harvest. I suspect they'll figure out something to correct that at some point in the future but until then.....

Muley Tag

FNG
Correct which is why units like unit 1 end up way over harvest. I suspect they'll figure out something to correct that at some point in the future but until then.....
When I called a region manager last year about that, he said they already factor that number in (excess) for their quota so they can still manage them correctly. Made sense

COelk89

FNG
When I called a region manager last year about that, he said they already factor that number in (excess) for their quota so they can still manage them correctly. Made sense

This is true...I was told that here in Colorado by a agency biologist that most most tag allotments factor in 25% wound loss...makes sense to me...too many people taking pot shots and don't even go to look for blood. Means less tags for all of us...