Looking for info or guides for fishing the Kenai in Alaska

Cgeb

WKR
Hi as the title suggests looking for info and past experiences for fishing the Kenai or suggestions. Probably a group of 2 to 4 I'm guessing guided for a couple days at least. Planning in advance for 2025. I understand this is a hunting site but I got to imagine plenty of fisherman here. If it matters were are in our 60's looking for comfortable not rigorous. As I get older I like my comfort. Thanks

I fished in Idaho with a guy who guides for Riddles Lodge in the summer. If I were doing a lodge trip, I would give them a look.

ColeyG

WKR
When are you guys going to be in AK and what are you interested in with regard to fishing species, style of fishing, river, ocean, drift boat, power boat, bank fishing, flyout, some combination thereof, etc. Do you want an all-inclusive lodge type deal or just fishing?

Many options to choose from depending on your desired experience.

gbflyer

WKR
If Mike Wheat is still rowing a driftboat he’d be my choice. There are some odd regulations on the Kenai these days, make sure you’re up with all that to avoid disappointment.

OP
Cgeb

Cgeb

WKR
When are you guys going to be in AK and what are you interested in with regard to fishing species, style of fishing, river, ocean, drift boat, power boat, bank fishing, flyout, some combination thereof, etc. Do you want an all-inclusive lodge type deal or just fishing?

Many options to choose from depending on your desired experience.
I'm thinking a lodge at least. Probably do a couple days, unsure of the logistics. Could stay in a hotel but would imagine distance could be an issue.

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Did a halibut trip with Fishology several years ago, would go back to them. I don’t know if they offer the lodge experience or not

ColeyG

WKR
I'd highly recommend Mark Wackler and his company Alaska Fishology.

Mark owns and runs the Orca Lodge in Soldotna as well, which is a world-class setup, and they offer trips for trout and all available salmon species on the Kenai (motor) and Kasilof (drift) in addition to saltwater fishing and fly out day trips.

Mark and his staff are top tier guides and human beings. Having fished along side them on the Kasilof for many years, it is a rare day their boats aren't at the top of the fleet with regard to both fun and fish in the box.

What species are available will depend on the time of year you guys show up.

Last edited:
I have a friend who guides half the year here on the Sacramento River and then him and one of his sons guides on the Kenai during the summer. Check out Kyncy Guide Service. One of these years I'll make it up there to fish with him.

Alaska92

FNG
I have a friend who guides half the year here on the Sacramento River and then him and one of his sons guides on the Kenai during the summer. Check out Kyncy Guide Service. One of these years I'll make it up there to fish with him.
The upper river for rainbows and dollies? The Kings are gone in the lower river thanks to over fishing (guides). When the Reds are in, it is an absolute zoo with people. Very overcrowded! They will be probably be gone soon enough also. Alaska is a big place. There are a lot more areas in the state to be successful and surely have a much better overall experience. The towns around the Kenai River are a miserable place to be when the fish are in. Way too many people. I’ve lived here for almost 30 years. Plenty of locals like myself don’t go anywhere near the river in the summer anymore. It’s out of control. Floating the upper river or the Kasilof could still be a somewhat pleasant experience. There are a few less people there normally.

The upper river for rainbows and dollies? The Kings are gone in the lower river thanks to over fishing (guides). When the Reds are in, it is an absolute zoo with people. Very overcrowded! They will be probably be gone soon enough also. Alaska is a big place. There are a lot more areas in the state to be successful and surely have a much better overall experience. The towns around the Kenai River are a miserable place to be when the fish are in. Way too many people. I’ve lived here for almost 30 years. Plenty of locals like myself don’t go anywhere near the river in the summer anymore. It’s out of control. Floating the upper river or the Kasilof could still be a somewhat pleasant experience. There are a few less people there normally.
Thats unfortunate to hear its miserable and over fished.

wyosteve

WKR
I'll echo what Alaska 92 said. We fished the Kasilof in 2014 and I was shocked at the number of people and traffic. Rivals Yellowstone in the summer for traffic in my opinion. I don't think I'd do it again.

you could rent a place on the river and have the dock to your self as well. Last year we rented a place on the river and brought home enough for our family and my parents to bring plenty home as well rented that same place this year as well. fish the dock during the day and then go to the public shore spots at night or really early in the morning. Sure it can be packed with people in the middle of the day but there are many times that you can still go to public spots and not be fishing shoulder to shoulder. Fish dont care if its night or day, if they are in the river they are running up.

OP
Cgeb

Cgeb

WKR
Is there a reason why you would want to stay on the highway system? What turned you on to the Kenai?
Just general reasons. Flying in from midwest so airport access is good. Don't mind driving a little but prefer relatively good access vs needing a 4wd. I mean flights in eat up some time so driving longer distances is just a trade off on time too. I mean if it's much better other locations I'm up for it. Didn't really pick the Kenai other than proximity to Anchorage and showed up when I looked at some Salmon fishing charters. I'm a noob never been to Alaska.