Looking for suggestions

Dcrafton

WKR
I’ve now found myself in the need of a pair of pack boots during hunting season.
I’ve never owned a pair, I’ve got a pretty good pair of hiking boots that I use most of the time. But if I were to look at picking up a pair of winter pack boots for use during a cold, snowy hunt. What pair should I be looking for. I’ve looked at a few online and some at a few different stores.
Any information from personal experience would be helpful.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
What type of terrain are you looking at? No need for the support of a mountain boot if you’re just hunting fields and stands. And Muck boots aren’t ticket if you’re looking at serious elevation gain. That being said, Muck boots are great if you don’t have to trapeze about the mountains. Kenetrek mountain guides are also nice but they’re for the nasty up and down terrain.

I find that generally 400g insulation is plenty if I’m active or can keep my feet dry. I have some 1000g Irish setters that are too much at -30 unless I’m sitting still. Feet sweat, get wet and get cold with that much insulation. I personally prefer leather boots that I can wax and I’ve had good luck so far with Gore-Tex and windtex (kenetreks version) boots.

As far as traction goes, the outsole on my mountain guides is the best I’ve had on ice so far. That’s compared against the various Vibram soles on danners (Acadias, quarry’s and all of their sub $200 tactical boots), Salomon 4D gtx, Irish setters, Mucks and xtratuffs. I do have a new pair of Redwing SuperSole 608s (they make an insulated water proof version, 2408s) and Kenetrek hard tacticals but we lack ice yet to know how they’ll be for traction yet.