Lumbar pad foam

Anyone add additional foam to their lumbar pad, or replace the foam in their lumbar pad? If so, what type of foam have you used? I have a Kifaru Duplex Lite and their foam pad replacement is out of stock. It’s also crazy expensive for them to ship something that small from WY right now.

87TT

WKR
I slipped a piece of premium carpet padding in behind my EXO K3 and K2 lumbar pad. Had my wife sew me a cover and made a sitting pad with two layers of the same pad,
Should be easy to find but I have a bunch left over from a recent install you can have for the shipping.

OP
mthomasondpt
Thanks, was looking at high density upholstery foam, but wasn’t sure if that would work. I’ll keep you in mind though if I need it.

FNG
I'm not familiar with kifaru, so pardon if I'm off,but would something like this work?

1000002518.png

Pluce

FNG
Other option is upholstery foam, they have various level of density, firmness

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t know how stiff you’re hoping for, but EVA foam, like flip flops are made of, is dirt cheap and available in any thickness on Amazon. In many cases a hard foam can have a soft foam applied with contact adhesive to get the stiffness/softness balance you’re after.

Flip flop foam is also shapeable so it’s easy to customize it to whatever you like.

If you're looking for a higher density foam look up foam tiles for garage gyms or kids play areas, anti-fatigue mats are a bit heavier, also stolen foam from memory foam pillows.

I am toying with this now. I’m placing it behind the stock lumbar foam on my K4 to try and get more pressure towards the top of the lumbar pad. If that’s where you’re putting it then I would think that density is less important since their stuff is what will be against your back? I just ordered some 1/8” inch high density foam off Amazon. I’m going to mess with a few different shapes and thicknesses. Stone Glacier includes a rectangle piece of added foam in their lumbar pads that you can move around to your liking, and Exo has a shim system for their K3. So seems like a fairly common thing.

Maverick1

WKR
Anyone add additional foam to their lumbar pad, or replace the foam in their lumbar pad? If so, what type of foam have you used? I have a Kifaru Duplex Lite and their foam pad replacement is out of stock. It’s also crazy expensive for them to ship something that small from WY right now.
Try this. For $14.88, worth a shot - feels very similar to the lumbar pad foam. I use it for my treestand seats.

Maverick1

WKR
I am toying with this now. I’m placing it behind the stock lumbar foam on my K4 to try and get more pressure towards the top of the lumbar pad. If that’s where you’re putting it then I would think that density is less important since their stuff is what will be against your back? I just ordered some 1/8” inch high density foam off Amazon. I’m going to mess with a few different shapes and thicknesses. Stone Glacier includes a rectangle piece of added foam in their lumbar pads that you can move around to your liking, and Exo has a shim system for their K3. So seems like a fairly common thing.
That is interesting. Every body is different. I never skip leg day and have glutes (LOL), so the normal thickness of a lumbar pad is bothersome to me. When a pack is lightly loaded or near empty a normal lumbar pad feels like someone is standing on my lower back. Even an empty pack gives me lower back problems at the end of a day . I have found that cutting the lumbar pad down to half it's normal thickness is the way to go - for me! Did this modification years ago and have hauled heavy load and near empty packs without issue. Just goes to show every body is different.

That is interesting. Every body is different. I never skip leg day and have glutes (LOL), so the normal thickness of a lumbar pad is bothersome to me. When a pack is lightly loaded or near empty a normal lumbar pad feels like someone is standing on my lower back. Even an empty pack gives me lower back problems at the end of a day . I have found that cutting the lumbar pad down to half it's normal thickness is the way to go - for me! Did this modification years ago and have hauled heavy load and near empty packs without issue. Just goes to show every body is different.

For sure! I have the glutes of a frog.... There's nothing there holding that pack up. For me, it seems like if that lumbar pad is not making it stick to my back then it's just going to slowly move down. I find the pressure of a large, stiff lumbar pad more comfortable, but I'm sure there are a ton that feel the total opposite!