Madison WI

Hey everyone. I may be moving to Madison WI for an internship next year from January -July. What are the decent ranges and/or fly streams to hit up. Thank you.

madgrad02

WKR
(Soon-to-Be) Welcome to Madison... I would echo the sentiment of the liberal fog enveloping Madison (and all of Dane County) really for that matter, luckily I just need to drive here for work as we moved out of Dane County . There are a few pistol ranges in Deerfield and Oregon (Max Creek), there are a few gun clubs in the surrounding areas that are nice if you feel like joining those (Bristol - 200yds, Columbus - 600yds and Winnequah - 1200yds in Lodi) all requiring memberships... there is a free public range - drawing a blank on the name, but is is ALWAYS busy. - these are all relatively local. There is McMiller and Milford Hills within an hr or so of Madison that are pretty nice.
As far as fishing goes, Madison is on an isthmus and surrounded by water, so lots of good fishing around town and then anything headed west/sw of town and you will get into the driftless region... lots of good trout streams in the area, starting with Black Earth Creek

Last edited:

Wheels

WKR
Grew up near Madison, great place to live if you are and outdoorsman. As for fishing, Sugar River west of town has some good trout fishing, just find a bridge somewhere along it and start there. Oh, and liberals don't bite, maybe we can get away from all the "them vs. us" BS.

2ski

WKR
Grew up near Madison, great place to live if you are and outdoorsman. As for fishing, Sugar River west of town has some good trout fishing, just find a bridge somewhere along it and start there. Oh, and liberals don't bite, maybe we can get away from all the "them vs. us" BS.
No kidding. The political powers that be try to convince their constituents that the worst people that exist are the other side. And I'm sad for the people that have bought in and have got away from finding where you have common ground with your neighbor. I have best friends from both sides of the aisle.

But I digress. I was in Madison in 2021 spring to pick up my dog from his breeder in Rapids. I was surprised how much I really enjoyed WI and wish I'd given myself more time to explore. So many rivers. The heavy timber. Madison was busy but when you went north that changed. And I didn't mind Madison.

OP
B
Awesome. Thank you.

CB4

WKR
Plenty of 3D shoots within an hour or so of Madison. There is a facebook page "Wisconsin Archery Shoots" that has most of them posted in. Beast Mode Archery puts on events at Tyrol Basin Ski Resort(highly recommend these).

OP
B
Plenty of 3D shoots within an hour or so of Madison. There is a facebook page "Wisconsin Archery Shoots" that has most of them posted in. Beast Mode Archery puts on events at Tyrol Basin Ski Resort(highly recommend these).
Sounds sweet.

Lots of good trout streams to the west of Madison. The DNR has a map online of them I believe. I don’t fly fish but know that the blue river sees lots of out of state people coming to fish it.

OP
B
Lots of good trout streams to the west of Madison. The DNR has a map online of them I believe. I don’t fly fish but know that the blue river sees lots of out of state people coming to fish it.
Awesome. Thank you for the knowledge.

Reactions: CB4

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I went to college there. There's a couple piers down by the crew house on Lake Mendota where you can catch crappies by the bucketful, right from the piers. I lived in Turner house (Kronsage) right next door to the crew house.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I went to college there. There's a couple piers down by the crew house on Lake Mendota where you can catch crappies by the bucketful, right from the piers. I lived in Turner house (Kronsage) right next door to the crew house.
Yup, was a great crappie fishing lake when I lived south of there, Janesville, many years ago. Did a lot of ice fishing on the lake also.

I am North of Madison a bit, but drive over to the driftless area to trout fish. From west side of Madison you can be in awesome trout fishing in a little more than an hour.

OP
B
I am North of Madison a bit, but drive over to the driftless area to trout fish. From west side of Madison you can be in awesome trout fishing in a little more than an hour.
Awesome. I'll have to bring my fly tying stuff.