Magnification range for elk

RC51kid

FNG
I am new to elk hunting. Took my first elk this winter and I am toying with the idea of more magnification. Currently using a 2-10 which has been on a few hunting rifles. It is a very versatile range. Worked great in the southeast for deer and hog hunting. But now I am out west and it sits on a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor. Originally i figured my max distance would be 300 yards. But my first elk was at 358 yards. I had time to set up a really good shooting rest and was suprised at how doable that range was. It has me thinking that with more practice this summer i might be comfortable out further. Especially with smaller game like coyote or pronghorn.

I was hitting steel regularly out to 600 with it. 1000 yrds was harder but mostly becouse of wind. Magnification would have been nice but this is primarily a hunting rifle and I dont want to turn it into a range gun.

I have been thinking 3-15 might be a better fit. But I am still new to this so I am looking for advice from you guys. For big game out to 500 or maybe 600 what magnification would you guys use? I would like to be comfortable out to 600. That does not mean I will be planning on taking 600 yrd shots. Any issue using a 2-10 or would you guys with experience out west be looking for more magnification?

Firehawk

WKR
Killed elk at almost 600 yards with a 3.5-10x40 scope. I prefer a light scope and more handy rifle. Some scope are so big and bulky to me. Friends have 4-14 or similar scopes and have found that they rarely need the full power.

Killed my cow a week or so ago at 3.5x on my Leupold at 278 yards. Didn't once think, "I should increase the magnification to make this shot". Went fast and bullet was perfectly placed. Don't overthink it. Put a scope you are comfortable with on your rifle.

180ls1

WKR
Leave it. You're comfortable with it and it works well. You wont need any more.

kcm2

WKR
Elk are big. I've killed elk out to 519 with a 3x9 Kahles scope on my rifle and antelope at 500, too. Having the lower magnification and greater field of view will be much better for hunting in the timber.

taskswap

WKR
I personally like a 4-12 but only because it seems to be a good range to find good quality vs price-point deals no matter what manufacturer you prefer. I never hunt with it at 12 - I think I have it at 5x right now, which is more than I need.

Opinions vary here a lot but unless you're shooting off a rest (and a good one - not a backpack) IMHO anything above 6x is a waste. If you look at threads for shooters asking for help improving their long-range shooting skills and accuracy, "turn down your zoom" is a really common piece of advice.

I personally prefer a bigger objective (I like a 50) over a bigger zoom. All of my elk taken so far have been within 30 mins of the start or end of legal hunting hours where it really does help you distinguish things, especially peering into sage brush on the side of a hill. But either way even my smallest bino's have a bigger zoom (10x) than my rifle scope so I'm always starting with those anyway.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
When I first started hunting elk 30 plus years ago I bought a brand new leupold vxii 3-9x40 glossy. Hunted with it for years and always worked just fine.

About 9 years ago I switched to the nf shv 4-14x56. What an eye opener (literally). Awesome low light, crisp clear glass, and I really liked the moar reticle.

Also ran a couple nf atacr scopes which are great but heavy.

The last 2 years I've settled on the nf nx8 2.5-20x50 sfp. So far this is my all-time favorite elk rifle scope. The moar reticle on the sfp version is awesome. Really dig the dot versus the cross hair.
Very versatile hunting scope.
My .02

I took a lot of game, including around 6-8 elk - IIRC, with 6X's; had them in Leupold, Sightron, Meopta, SWFA, Weaver and likely one or two others. Took game to 500 with them. Was plenty of X for elk to that range, which are a big target. Also ran Leupold 2.5-8's on a lot of rigs and took a lot of game with them.

Currently run a few 3-10 NF and 3-9 SWFA that have worked well for hunting. Main elk rifle has a 3-12 LRHS, and I consider it a near perfect X range for elk near and far.

To me, it largely comes down to how much I like the reticle. Recently picked up a Maven 2.5-15 FFP. So far enjoying the reticle, and if it continues to hold up through the summer, I'll be taking it afield this fall.

TaperPin

WKR
I think many people are forgetting you included coyotes - they start getting very small quickly. Unless it’s still hunting in the thick timber where shots might be as close as 75 yards away, a scope low end of 4x to 5x isn‘t bad and let’s you get near 20x with most makes. Once you get up to 20x it’s very hard to go back down to a max of 12x, especially with rock chucks, prarie dogs or anything way out there.

When you come across a rock chuck perfectly silhouetted against a nice pale background at 900 yards you’ll wish for twice whatever power you have. Lol

Last edited:

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
2.5-10 3-9 4-20 3-15 all work fine for those distances I think the most common assertion you will find is keep a lower low end with a high field of view when something is way out theres normally a lot longer of time to get set up when they are up close it sucks to miss out because you couldnt find them in your 13-39x56 scope

I started with a fixed 4x. I upgraded to one of the first BDC but left it on 4x. I found that someplace in my early 60s that I nudged the zoom up to about 5 but I never changed the zoom when shooting.

My 20 year old scope finally gave up the ghost and my replacement starts at 4.5. I'm guessing that I will set it between 5 and 6 and will call it good. My old one never got changed so I doubt that the need to play zoom games will ever come up. I already took the lever off and put a plug in it.

2.5-10 3-9 4-20 3-15 all work fine for those distances I think the most common assertion you will find is keep a lower low end with a high field of view when something is way out theres normally a lot longer of time to get set up when they are up close it sucks to miss out because you couldnt find them in your 13-39x56 scope
Yup.
The low end is pretty important.
Last elk I killed was 13 yards (archery, but still...They can come in fast and close and having an impressive view of each hair is not helpful).
I think 3-15 with a 50mm obj is just about perfect.
I would also only have a SFP scope with a heavy reticle.