Mailing a rifle to a gunsmith in 2023

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I'm prepping to send my rifle in for custom stock, barrel chop and thread and now have to figure out how to get the rifle to the gunsmith. Is going through another FFL to ship out the only option we have left? Sounds like fedex and ups will no longer accept packages from non FFL. How is everyone sending in rifles for custom work or warranty repairs now days? The last time I sent a shotgun in all I had to do was go to a ups shipment hub and send it off.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
The gunsmith is an FFL but it sounds like ups and fedex wont accept a package from me since I am not.

11boo

WKR
It is legal for now anyway. Shippers are all over the place on policy. I have one Ups store that will accept them and one that won’t.

Fed law specifically states it is legal for repair work, and it should come back to your home signature required.

Antares

WKR
I ship rifles a lot because I have no gunsmiths local to me. USPS works fine and is legal. Just put insurance on it and send it Priority. I ship whole rifles in a cheap plastic gun case inside a cardboard sleeve. I ship barreled action inside a flyrod tube which works slick and is pretty cheap.

SDHNTR

WKR
Done it multiple times recently via UPS. I disassemble the rifle and ship it as parts. Zero problem.

B23

WKR
For Rifles. USPS has always been good to go. Sent my Ridgeline back the CA and they sent me out a FedEx label but it had to be shipped through my local FedEx facility, I couldn't ship it through one of those FedEx stores places. I'm pretty sure UPS is the same way, can't ship anything gun related through one of their stores, it has to go through the local main facility.

ODB

WKR
Always used USPS. Follow the rules, and you’ll be OK.

If you can, as mentioned above, break it down into a smaller package I think that just makes the process easier. And cheaper. Sending a rifle in a pelican 1750 is friggin expensive.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
ok sounds good. Im sending just the barreled action so hopefully I still have some PSA upper receiver foam padded boxes I can put it in and try USPS. My UPS and fedex hub is an hour away so less than convenient to go all the way down there then get turned around.

Maki35

WKR
You own the rifle and you're not selling it. You don't need to send it FFL to FFL for custom work.

If you use USPS, I would send it priority mail (has a tracking#) or express with "signature required."

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Oregon, and recently sent aChristiansen back for work. I had to send it from an FFL; then it had to be sent back to the FFL and I had to get a background check to get my own rifle back from the FFL.

Frustrating to say the least

While although legal.
The actual company's of fed ex and ups have gone woke.
If you have a claim and tell them its firearms related they will deny you claim and you will be out.
Far as I know know usps is the only viable way.

Unless you make up an entire story of what's in the box, have some type of receipt with about the same value.

wapitibob

WKR
You do not need to send to or from an ffl when sending your own action to a gunsmith. Stick the barreled action in a box and ship from ups. Tell them is contains sporting equipment or metal parts. Abbreviate the company name and you will have zero issues.

Maki35

WKR
I live in Oregon, and recently sent aChristiansen back for work. I had to send it from an FFL; then it had to be sent back to the FFL and I had to get a background check to get my own rifle back from the FFL.

Frustrating to say the least
Why? Was that Christensen's policy?

Years ago, I mailed a Remington rifle back to them for a service on a recall. After Remington fixed it, they mailed the rifle to my house with signature required both ways.
As far as I know (on a local forum) others are still doing it this way around here.

Why? Was that Christensen's policy?

Years ago, I mailed a Remington rifle back to them for a service on a recall. After Remington fixed it, they mailed the rifle to my house with signature required both ways.
As far as I know (on a local forum) others are still doing it this way around here.
It’s a newer Christensen Policy. I had to send one back a few months ago. FFL to them only, then back to FFL.

To the OP, I think the only option as an individual now is USPS. UPS changed their policy last year. Even at USPS, I’d bring a copy of the rules to get it shipped. I’ve had to go to several post offices before to get rifles out. Prices have gone up as well, not cheap.