Mark 5 3.6-18 vs NF Nx8 2.5-20

JHubbard2010

FNG
Classified Approved
I'm having the same dilemma as far as choosing between these two... I have a gunwerks clymer in 6.5 PRC that I am going to mount this scope on. I spoke to one of the sales guys and he said that they are not using Nightforce anymore which makes me wonder if that is the only reason they are pushing the Mark5 HD on their rifles. I love Leupold and have been very impressed with the Mark5 5-25x56 as well as the VX5 3-15x44 but I also love the durability of the Nightforce. The Mark5 3.6-18 is 1 ounce lighter than the NX8 2.5-20 so that isn't a factor in my decision. I'm new to this forum and really enjoy hearing what other people have to say.

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
nightforce told me themselves, which is nice they did as a consumer

Quite certain that I read Doug from CameralandNY...who is a distributor for NF....met with his sales rep and confirmed that NF IS NOT GOING TO MAKE AN NX8 in SFP.

Quite certain that I read Doug from CameralandNY...who is a distributor for NF....met with his sales rep and confirmed that NF IS NOT GOING TO MAKE AN NX8 in SFP.

Not saying the rep or info is wrong.....but right from the mouth of NF I too was told that SFP would hit the ground mid summer.

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm positive that's what she told me, was just letting everyone know if they wanted sfp

I now have 3 Mark 5HD’s in 5-25 and an NX8 in 4-32 I just received. I had the 2.5-20 NX8 and absolutely did not like it. So the 4-32 should be much more comparable to the 5-25 MK5. I ordered rings and should have the scope mounted by end of week and will spend all weekend going back and forth between the two scopes in every condition I can find. There are certain qualities I like about both and a few I don’t but I cant really make up my mind until I spend a few days with them side by side. I’ve already said it but the MK5 is gonna be hard to beat.

ericF

WKR
I now have 3 Mark 5HD’s in 5-25 and an NX8 in 4-32 I just received. I had the 2.5-20 NX8 and absolutely did not like it. So the 4-32 should be much more comparable to the 5-25 MK5. I ordered rings and should have the scope mounted by end of week and will spend all weekend going back and forth between the two scopes in every condition I can find. There are certain qualities I like about both and a few I don’t but I cant really make up my mind until I spend a few days with them side by side. I’ve already said it but the MK5 is gonna be hard to beat.

What did you not like about the 2.5-20 NX8 over the 4-30. Reticle at the low end, eyebox, etc?

What did you not like about the 2.5-20 NX8 over the 4-30. Reticle at the low end, eyebox, etc?

Yes. I struggled a lot with the 2.5-20 eye box. The 4-32 ain’t no gem either but it’s better. For me the reticle wasn’t a big deal especially having illumination....but I never found myself using the very low end magnification anyhow. And me personally, I noticed or notice a pretty big difference in the glass from the two models. Seems I could really pick up on distortion with the 2.5-20 mode to where I can’t with the 4-30. Maybe it was just my eyes seeing things. I also feel the 4-32 is brighter day at 20 power than the 2.5-20 was at 20 power.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
If you're considering the nightforce I really think you gain more than lose by going with the 4-32x50. unlike the leupold youre not gaining much weight between the lower power model and higher power (roughly .3-.4oz). you would only lose 2.2ft on FOV comparing the nx8 4-32x50 to the leupold 3.6-18x44 at the low ends and gain quite a bit of magnification on the top end. the 4-32 is better optically than the NF 2.5-20x50 most likely because its in a longer body. I just got the 4-32x50 and the only complaint I have is that the parallax is kind of finicky at shorter ranges. The reticle is usable at 4x and illumination is daylight bright. Ive heard great things about the leupold also and I personally was between the nightforce nx8 or leupy mark 5 and went nightforce due to the track record of reliability.