Maven B2 review

WRO

WKR
Interesting, I know some other reviewers that wouldn't agree with that love fest. Good glass, not big three good.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
My concern is he has Gold Ring HDs as his standard. I do agree with his assessment that most people are not CA sensitive. I have a pair of Maven B2 in 11x45. For the price they are an exceptional set of binoculars and this is coming from a life long Swarovski snob!

WRO

WKR
I had gold ring hds and wasn't particularly impressed with them. The new victory hts are awesome. I'd like to get my hands on a set and see for myself.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting, I know some other reviewers that wouldn't agree with that love fest. Good glass, not big three good.

Wouldn't agree in what way?

I have spoken to Steve a few times over the years, and although I don't agree with his assessments all the time, he is certainly knowledgeable.

Like Ryan, I agree that not all people are CA sensitive, but I disagree with Steve's insinuation that if one isn't particularly bothered by CA, that it doesn't affect the image. It certainly does. There is a reason manufacturers put so much effort and technology into correcting it.

WRO

WKR
I'm not talking about you.

Anyways both ca and edge to edge clarity are very important imho.

H

WKR
I didn't think you were talking about me or maybe even to me but I'm still curious if you can offer a link to those reviews. Unless, of course, it's just "a friend said they suck" type of thing.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not talking about you.

Anyways both ca and edge to edge clarity are very important imho.

H

I didn't think you were referring to me, as I haven't seen the B2 at all. I was just interested to here some specifics from those other reviews of the B2, as I can't find many.

WRO

WKR
The review I got was simple, conquest/vortex glass quality. Not big 3 levels.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
WRO,

Do you think you could get that reviewer to post up on this thread? There seems to be a lot of interest in the Mavens.

My Maven opinion. Based on reviews, including Matt's, it looks to me they are in between the big 3's flagship binocs and the rest of the field. For $1000.00, seems like an excellent deal.

WRO

WKR
WRO,

Do you think you could get that reviewer to post up on this thread? There seems to be a lot of interest in the Mavens.

Its up to him..

I should clarify my comments on the review.

1. 75% sweet spot seems to be about par with Razors, not even on to the level that the meoptas are in my eyes. Which is no where near Victories or the ELs, or even ultravids.

2. CA is important

3. If the gold standard is Gold Rings then there is a problem. I liked my gold ring hd's, but they don't even stand up to Meoptas or Monarch 7's.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Its up to him..

I hope he does.

1. 75% sweet spot seems to be about par with Razors, not even on to the level that the meoptas are in my eyes. Which is no where near Victories or the ELs, or even ultravids.

Those "sweet spot" percentages are really just estimates, but even so 75% would be pretty good for non field-flattened binocular, especially when the overall FOV is so wide as the Maven offerings are.

I actually found the B1 to be better than that. I found the B1 sweet spot impressively wide, as I noted in my review.

3. If the gold standard is Gold Rings then there is a problem. I liked my gold ring hd's, but they don't even stand up to Meoptas or Monarch 7's.

I also had the Gold Rings. I though they were a decent performing binocular. the Monarch 7s are a little underwhelming with the vignetting, coma, and field curvature, IMO.

I am not affiliated with any of these companies. I just like to test optics and share my findings with Roksliders. I do not (and have never) represent or sell Maven, Meopta, Vortex, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, or any other brand of sport optics. Do or have you? I only ask because comments in another thread seemed to indicate you were in the industry.

WRO

WKR
I hope he does.

Those "sweet spot" percentages are really just estimates, but even so 75% would be pretty good for non field-flattened binocular, especially when the overall FOV is so wide as the Maven offerings are.

I actually found the B1 to be better than that. I found the B1 sweet spot impressively wide, as I noted in my review.

I also had the Gold Rings. I though they were a decent performing binocular. the Monarch 7s are a little underwhelming with the vignetting, coma, and field curvature, IMO.

I am not affiliated with any of these companies. I just like to test optics and share my findings with Roksliders. I do not (and have never) represent or sell Maven, Meopta, Vortex, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, or any other brand of sport optics. Do or have you? I only ask because comments in another thread seemed to indicate you were in the industry.

I do work in the industry, on a limited basis.

That being said, I really like optics, any chance I get to my hands on interesting glass I am all over it. I've owned 10 pairs in the last 15 years and if there is a set I haven't played with that I can get my hands on them I do.

That being said, I liked your review.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That being said, I really like optics, any chance I get to my hands on interesting glass I am all over it. I've owned 10 pairs in the last 15 years and if there is a set I haven't played with that I can get my hands on them I do.

In that case, you really should get your hands on an offering from Maven. The performance of the B1 is remarkable at the price point, and frankly, well above.

That being said, I liked your review.

Thank you.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone had a look through the B3? I'm in the market for an 8x30 but the Maven website is either severely lacking or not working as a mobile site. I can't find the B3 spec sheet anywhere.