MeatEater Shooting for $100M in Revenues

WKR

WKR
Love the podcast, love the media they put out on YouTube and how they continue to expand their network and profits. Capitalism at its best.

Steve has a platform that is a staple in the outdoor space. They do way more good than bad for our community and at the end of the day they will never make everyone happy.

What good is the meat eater brand doing?

it all depends on what your perspective is. I don't see any good coming from the commodification of hunting.

WKR

WKR
Not that I don’t kinda agree with you, but these threads always make me chuckle as the ads for backpacks, tents, etc. flash right next to some of the responses.
I know, its quite ironic
Companies have to advertise to make money, but maybe with something you want to conserve and cherish, there can be a line drawn

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
What good is the meat eater brand doing?

it all depends on what your perspective is. I don't see any good coming from the commodification of hunting.
How about Putting a good product out to the public. The show Meateater on Netflix is a great representative of ethical hunting and is another way to recruit and retain hunters. The podcast is generally educational and has multiple perspectives for the public to listen to. Out side of buying up the industry (capitalism) and I’m sure the founders getting bloated salary’s, I don’t see anything wrong with it.

id Like to ask you what bad is the meatEater brand doing ?

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
I know, its quite ironic
Companies have to advertise to make money, but maybe with something you want to conserve and cherish, there can be a line drawn

I bet you have Instagram and scroll through your feed looking at hunting pics, follow influencers In The hunting industry and subscribe to the company’s that you use in the field.

WKR

WKR
How about Putting a good product out to the public. The show Meateater on Netflix is a great representative of ethical hunting and is another way to recruit and retain hunters. The podcast is generally educational and has multiple perspectives for the public to listen to. Out side of buying up the industry (capitalism) and I’m sure the founders getting bloated salary’s, I don’t see anything wrong with it.

id Like to ask you what bad is the meatEater brand doing ?
1. Commodify hunting
2. Openly show and name areas and hunting units
3. Make it harder to draw tags due to what's stated above
4. Bring huge amounts of new hunters into the field that have no idea what they are doing and no mentor to show them
5. Glorify and monetize hunting on social media

I can keep going if you'd like but I hope you get the point

If you buy into R3 and really think we need more new hunters than I dont know what to tell you. Its just a marketing ploy to generate more revenue. We have plenty of hunters that are struggling to fill tags. Just look at the draw statistics over the last 5 years and then tell me we need to recruit more.

GotDraw?

WKR
In the article they stated MeatEater has been profitable every year since 2019 and want to continue that trend. How profitable, it does not state.
The word "profitable" in press releases like this is meaningless.
What is their definition of "profitable"?
There are far too many definitions and a lot of them don't infer profit as the average man would construe it.

"Profitable..?" Well, it's like Bill Clinton's definition of sex. As in, "I did not have sex with that woman, Miss Monica Lewinsky...".

I agree with @mtnwrunner 's thought process and inferred line of questioning.

JL

sram9102

WKR
You don't have to dive very deeply into RS to find grossly negative influences from hunting media groups...
Steve and company may not conform to the positive viewership of every hunter out there, but if you want a random person off the street to watch one 30 minute openly available "netflix, youtube, etc" episode and come away with a positive view on hunting meateater checks every box.
Steve and the gang are well spoken and show the value of cooking your wild game. Is everything meateater shows perfect? No hunting show will ever be...But if I had to vote for one person to convince the general populus that hunting was okay and should remain a general available activity, Steve Rinella is the fist person I would donate money too as a lobbyist.

grfox92

WKR
Nothing brings out the haters like the mention of Cameron Hanes or Meateater....

We should just ban these threads like they've banned the unit number threads, because nothing positive ever comes out of them.

Congrats to Steven Rinella for pulling himself up by his bootstraps from a poor family in Michigan and building a $100 million dollar business doing what he truly loves.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Whatever your beef is with meateater you cant argue that he has reached a broad audience no one else has portraying hunters for the most part in a positive light. Our way of life will come down to the votes and opinions of non hunters and we need to make sure they have positive interpretation of most us.

ODB

WKR
You don't have to dive very deeply into RS to find grossly negative influences from hunting media groups...
Steve and company may not conform to the positive viewership of every hunter out there, but if you want a random person off the street to watch one 30 minute openly available "netflix, youtube, etc" episode and come away with a positive view on hunting meateater checks every box.
Steve and the gang are well spoken and show the value of cooking your wild game. Is everything meateater shows perfect? No hunting show will ever be...But if I had to vote for one person to convince the general populus that hunting was okay and should remain a general available activity, Steve Rinella is the fist person I would donate money too as a lobbyist.

Understood. No real argument

The problem is that in the quest for the “lifestyle” there are many, many others who produce absolute shit that is counterproductive to “saving” hunting. Steve’s shows aren’t being used as fodder against hunting, it's all the wannabe knuckleheads who think they are going to out-steve-steve who are the problem. They didn’t exist in large part until the massive social media push. There is a lesson in there somewhere.

Last edited:

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
1. Commodify hunting
2. Openly show and name areas and hunting units
3. Make it harder to draw tags due to what's stated above
4. Bring huge amounts of new hunters into the field that have no idea what they are doing and no mentor to show them
5. Glorify and monetize hunting on social media

I can keep going if you'd like but I hope you get the point

If you buy into R3 and really think we need more new hunters then I dont know what to tell you. It’s just a marketing ploy to generate more revenue. We have plenty of hunters that are struggling to fill tags. Just look at the draw statistics over the last 5 years and then tell me we need to recruit more.
#1 it’s been that way since “things” became a commodity. People have bought guns,boots and wood frame packs for 100 plus years.

#2 not gonna argue that.

#3 subjective at best.

#4 are the reason harvest percentage is down. Plus hunting is hard.

#5 that is everyone on social Media that glorify it. They want the “likes”. Everything is monetized. Look at this site.

Not gonna say you don’t have points just saying for what it is, MeatEater is doing good things.