MeatEater Shooting for $100M in Revenues

Wish I was smart enough to recognize opportunities to monetize my hunting without having to become a guide and being confident enough to take the risks necessary to pull it off.

But shame on Rinella for pulling off something most of us aren’t capable of doing.

And shame on anyone promoting adult onset hunters. No one that didn’t have the benefit of being raised like most of us should ever get the opportunity to experience the sport.

WBrim

WKR
I didnt grow up hunting, and decided it was something I wanted to do. I didn’t have a lot of mentors, and was struggling bad to get any basics figured out. Along with a few others, I learned a lot of concepts from meat eater podcast. It didnt take too long for it to not feel so organic, and I haven’t paid much attention to Rinella in years.

But I’m grateful for the things I was able to pick up from the early episodes of the podcast.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I love how hunters ignore that fact of who meat eater is owned by. I could care less about Steve rinella and his show. I could care less about how many hunters it brings to the table, over crowding, blah blah blah. Hunters are their own worst enemy. Same reason most of you love riding the hate bud light train while a city actually banned guns within the last couple weeks and is now talking about a gun confiscation on January 1st. WHO DO YOU THINK THESE CAUSES ARE BACKED BY? Possibly people like the chernin group? But don't worry keep looking for the aliens, continue your just cause of destroying bud light, and arguing about how great of an advocate Rinella is for us. Maybe you can hunt with sling shot in the future. JOKE

grfox92

WKR
Yep. Amazing to me how many folks look past that simple fact and still run around in FL clothes, FHF harness, and blow phelps calls when not watching a meateater episode. Chernin is the antithesis of what most hunters would claim to hold dear.

The phone or computer you typed this on was made in comminust China with child slave labor, and the batteries were harvested by forced slavery most likely in Africa. So apparently you are looking past that.

What are we looking past? That Meateater has a silent investor who has a different political opinion than yours?

If a raging liberal came to me right now as a silent investor to build my dream business and they guaranteed that they would have no effect on what I do with my business or how I run it, I would be an idiot to not take the deal and so would anyone else.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

The phone or computer you typed this on was made in comminust China with child slave labor, and the batteries were harvested by forced slavery most likely in Africa. So apparently you are looking past that.

What are we looking past? That Meateater has a silent investor who has a different political opinion than yours?

If a raging liberal came to me right now as a silent investor to build my dream business and they guaranteed that they would have no effect on what I do with my business or how I run it, I would be an idiot to not take the deal and so would anyone else.

There’s a huge difference between being of a different political persuasion and actively fighting to take away constitutional rights. I don’t care what side of the aisle one leans but when people who use weapons financially support those fighting to take them it seems a bit moronic.

And yes, my phone is Chinese. If I had an American option I’d take it. But how is that relevant to the conversation? I’m not talking about phones. Stay on topic.

EcoastDG

FNG
I didnt grow up hunting, and decided it was something I wanted to do. I didn’t have a lot of mentors, and was struggling bad to get any basics figured out. Along with a few others, I learned a lot of concepts from meat eater podcast. It didnt take too long for it to not feel so organic, and I haven’t paid much attention to Rinella in years.

But I’m grateful for the things I was able to pick up from the early episodes of the podcast.
This was my experience as well. My parents were immigrants and spent their time putting myself and my 3 siblings through private school and college. My dad never had any spare time to enjoy the outdoors.After college I had the opportunity to be mentored by some lifelong hunters that took me under their wing. Meateater was definitely one of the resources I used to learn about hunting/conservation. After a few years I started looking different directions. It’s always cool to see a company become successful but I tend to be drawn to the mom and pop type of operations. I am still grateful for the influence they have had on my hunting/conservation education.
One of my fondest memories is taking my dad on a whitetail hunt after he retired and shortly before he passed away. That was the most relaxed I had ever seen him.
I am thankful that I had mentors who gave me the inspiration and skills to be able to share that experience with my dad.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider

This.......oh this is my point exactly. We can kiss our country goodbye truly because of this attitude. If a raging liberal came to me right now I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. But....I have standards. I haven't used first lite or watched meat eater since I found out the fact of the silent partner. Hasn't been to hard. You are right that a lot of our stuff is owned by or produced by "communist" etc. But that doesn't make it ok. Do what little we can, and I think not watching or participating with meat eater isn't such a big ask. I mean good lord everyone showed me how powerful they are with the bud light thing (cause the can might kiss you) so I'm pretty sure we could get our little brains together on boycotting other things. But I know that requires alot of thinking and acknowledging (god forbid). Imagine if the founding fathers had your attitude in regards to this country; "I'd be a fool not to take the British money, weaponry, and food, I'll be so much more successful". We woulda all been at that coronation the other day kissing king Edwards ring. No thanks.

Gobbler36

WKR
It’s not that I dont think Steve is a good dude or whatnot and there is some entertainment value in his show but I’ve had to really stop and ask myself if more demand is really good, and if the antis aren’t fueled by the social media these types of influencers push. look at draw odds, prices of leases, changes to all the NR OTC tags, prices of landowner tags, price of just drop hunts now in AK, this is all driven been an exponential increase in demand and everyone wanting to run out and be the next Steve Rinella going 10 miles from their truck its insanity that we would want to keep pushing for more and more people. with less and less space.

i would agree that at least the meateater does have their public access initiative but i feel whatever access they open that it’s just a drop in the bucket compared to the public land they’ve helped overrun with First lite onesies

grfox92

WKR
There’s a huge difference between being of a different political persuasion and actively fighting to take away constitutional rights. I don’t care what side of the aisle one leans but when people who use weapons financially support those fighting to take them it seems a bit moronic.

And yes, my phone is Chinese. If I had an American option I’d take it. But how is that relevant to the conversation? I’m not talking about phones. Stay on topic.
We can agree to disagree. I'm as conservative as they get. Meateater produces content that I enjoy and caters to a conservative viewer. I'm not boycotting them because one person who invested money in the company has an opposite opinion.

If you watch any movies or TV shows that are current, they are being made and financed by people who have the same ideologies and donate to the same causes as Chernin. It's all of Hollywood, Banking and IT. You can certainly vote with your dollar but where do you draw the line? For me, I don't have cable TV and don't watch any mainstream news outlets and I buy american when I can.

I used to be very strict, not supporting any companies that were left leaning. Do you know what that got me? The inability to buy anything anywhere.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Its not so much a silent partner anymore since the new CEO is from Chernin corporate. Used to be just money and the original CEO after they took that money was from Sitka and an outdoorsy guy vs a straight money guy. That is what has me worried.

The original website editor was Steve's friend from Yeti and he got the boot. Now the website has become the clickbait articles they said they wouldn't be. Shows Steve probably doesn't have as much influence as people hope. He is listed as "founder" and that's it. Steve Jobs founded Apple but he lost control of his company for a while too after taking on investors and getting voted out.

grfox92

WKR
Its not so much a silent partner anymore since the new CEO is from Chernin corporate. Used to be just money and the original CEO after they took that money was from Sitka and an outdoorsy guy vs a straight money guy. That is what has me worried.

The original website editor was Steve's friend from Yeti and he got the boot. Now the website has become the clickbait articles they said they wouldn't be. Shows Steve probably doesn't have as much influence as people hope. He is listed as "founder" and that's it. Steve Jobs founded Apple but he lost control of his company for a while too after taking on investors and getting voted out.
Valid concern. I will say I've been listening to the podcast on my morning commute since its inception. They changed producers a few years ago and it's certainly changed. Some very liberal guests, but the conversation is still hunting, fishing and conservation.

If it did take a turn for the worst I would certainly abandon it. But as of right now they still make good hunting and outdoors content.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I see absolutely no point to this thread.
There is a hunting company making money off of products??

Randy
Probably barely making any significant money honestly. They have “reported profits” since 2019, probably had to finally start showing profit for the IRS.

Guys who read this thinking meateater nets 100M a year are vastly ill-informed on how running a profitable business works, especially in the current economy.

We can agree to disagree. I'm as conservative as they get. Meateater produces content that I enjoy and caters to a conservative viewer. I'm not boycotting them because one person who invested money in the company has an opposite opinion.

If you watch any movies or TV shows that are current, they are being made and financed by people who have the same ideologies and donate to the same causes as Chernin. It's all of Hollywood, Banking and IT. You can certainly vote with your dollar but where do you draw the line? For me, I don't have cable TV and don't watch any mainstream news outlets and I buy american when I can.

I used to be very strict, not supporting any companies that were left leaning. Do you know what that got me? The inability to buy anything anywhere.

It’s not simply an investment. It’s ownership.

And I do kick anything and everything out of my life that I possibly can that actively fights against what I hold dear.

I used to own a few thousand dollars of First Lite gear. I had an FHF harness. I had Phelps calls and tubes. I watched the M.E. episodes. I no longer have any of those items and will not watch or listen to them. I refuse to follow any person in videos or podcasts that display or promote their products. And it’s not just them. I got rid of my PSE bow when Bowmar was buying the company. I got rid of packs that were from a company I don’t like the direction they are heading in.

. I obviously can’t know everything about the direction of every product I use, but when I do, I will act on it.

I typically spend around $60k on products a year between bows, clothing, and all the other stuff involved.

For me, my wallet is my vote. Your mileage is yours and I respect your right to choose that direction.

grfox92

WKR
It’s not simply an investment. It’s ownership.

And I do kick anything and everything out of my life that I possibly can that actively fights against what I hold dear.

I used to own a few thousand dollars of First Lite gear. I had an FHF harness. I had Phelps calls and tubes. I watched the M.E. episodes. I no longer have any of those items and will not watch or listen to them. I refuse to follow any person in videos or podcasts that display or promote their products. And it’s not just them. I got rid of my PSE bow when Bowmar was buying the company. I got rid of packs that were from a company I don’t like the direction they are heading in.

. I obviously can’t know everything about the direction of every product I use, but when I do, I will act on it.

I typically spend around $60k on products a year between bows, clothing, and all the other stuff involved.

For me, my wallet is my vote. Your mileage is yours and I respect your right to choose that direction.
And I respect yours. This is America after all.

ODB

WKR

There is also a stiff lesson here too.

running mega businesses used to be considered a conservative endeavour - you know, rich, greedy moneybags and all that, the left were the artsy-fartsy types. While we sat around trying to defend the dollar, the left took over mega-Corp and is now in full control of damn near everything, if not directly, indirectly via your HR departments. And now we on the right/center-right find ourselves defending products knowingly made partially by slave labor by companies who, via their stated policies lean well left.

2+2= 5. It has all come full circle. May the gods of the copybook headings have mercy when they finally return.

I don’t get this.

nobody shits on Steph curry for making $500 million playing basketball, when he could just play in his local men’s league for free. Nobody says Tom cruise should stop doing movies and dedicate himself to community theater for the love of acting. No one says Ricky Bobby should stop dominating NASCAR and making millionns on his wonder bread sponsorship.

that $100 million is a bunch of businesses - game calls, gear sales, clothing, media and a considerable amount of tasteful, semi nude pictures of Ole Cal. WTF is wrong with that? Yeah. They make money selling shit and producing content about hunting. Don’t like it? Don’t buy or watch/listen to it.

I would trad places with Rinella in a heart beat every day of the year and twice during hunting season.

I know haters gotta hate, but dang.

I don’t get this.

nobody shits on Steph curry for making $500 million playing basketball, when he could just play in his local men’s league for free. Nobody says Tom cruise should stop doing movies and dedicate himself to community theater for the love of acting. No one says Ricky Bobby should stop dominating NASCAR and making millionns on his wonder bread sponsorship.

that $100 million is a bunch of businesses - game calls, gear sales, clothing, media and a considerable amount of tasteful, semi nude pictures of Ole Cal. WTF is wrong with that? Yeah. They make money selling shit and producing content about hunting. Don’t like it? Don’t buy or watch/listen to it.

I would trad places with Rinella in a heart beat every day of the year and twice during hunting season.

I shit on Curry... I wish he'd go play in the men's league and stay the hell out of Sacramento. What he did to close out the Kings was dirty

ODB

WKR
I don’t get this.

I don’t get this.

At the risk of being incorrectly labeled a ‘hater,’ if the growth of a market has a direct, negative impact on those who participate in the market, that’s worth considering.

And for the record, this 100m goal and new CEO at ME was slathered all over newswires the other day. It’s not conjecture or airing dirty laundry. As participants in the target market, I’d say that gives anyone the right to respectfully comment, positively or negatively.