Mid-Training Season Challenge

What do you do, if anything, for your mid-training season challenge between end of season last year and start (elk for me) of season this year?

I wanted something to check in with myself to see how my training was doing. The past 2 weeks I hit the best numbers on my lifts I've hit (at least in the last 20+ years, doing sets, no 1RM for me). Yeasterday, I used my old mountain bike (also 20 years old lol) to do an asphalt ride with some decent elevation challenges to ride 100 miles in less than 10 hours, including water/ bathroom breaks, accomplished that goal.

What are y'all doing for a mid-training season challenge?

Chuckybmd

WKR
Nice work on the ride! 100 miles in 10 hrs sounds great.

I’m probably less ambitious, but lift 2 times a week and run 6-10 miles per week.

I’m finding I want to work out so I feel good first and hope it carries over into my hunting as a side benefit.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like a challenge of a multiday backpacking trip, typically in similar terrain that I hunt. I try and sprinkle in at least a half dozen trips between hunting seasons (I'd include a backpack Spring bear hunt in this arena).

It lets you know very accurately your current fitness status; gives you a great opportunity to test new gear (and further familiarize yourself with gear you already have); it's as close to backpack hunting as you can get other than backpack hunting; it adds significantly to your overall fitness and it's f'ing fun (well at least kind of :D )

61nDFdZ.jpg

aMal6VX.jpg

qLtx4JB.jpg

S3Tqdoe.jpg

250tWgy.jpg

62jlLht.jpg

OP
insanelupus
@mtwarden

Some of us might have to wait until retirement for multi day backpack trips! 🤣

I had considered that but wanted something in May and had that SAT free, so I just scheduled a 1 day challenge. Multi-day challenges are hopefully part of future plans!

Great job this weekend btw!

bozeman

WKR
For me, its go find a trail in the National Forest that I havent hiked and give it a go.....at least 5 miles round trip....weighted pack. It tests not just me, but also my gear (pack, boots, pants, shirt, sock...etc).....puts me in new territory and uneven ground......

dtrkyman

WKR
Gym everyday when I'm home, some hikes in the high country mixed in. Hit a trail in town regularly, switchback with 735 feet of gain in about.8 miles.

Been hitting that trail light but will add the pack soon.

The multi day pack trips sound great but campong sux:LOL: I do some pack in fishing during summer, 8-10 miles deep, I need a good reason to camp! Probably 30lb pack for a few days. Lot's of water so only lug what I plan on drinking on the way in which is not much, I pre hydrate on the drive.

I'm guilty of just whatever exercise I think should be done.

So now, my program is going to a 3 day rotation. Cardio, lift, and hunt specific like ruck/hiking.
When life interrupts, I can just proceed to the next expected workout.

Hopefully this plan will keep overall fitness moving forward. Feeling improvements already.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

At 65, I drew a 14k desert sheep hunt and a 7k mulie bow hunt last nite. So, it's now game on. 6/10 mile hikes in the canyon with weight. Already lost 10 lbs. Just walking. But I am at sea level. Either get in mt. Shape or waste a 300k sheep tag.