mini excavator

anybody own one? I know there is cheap versions <$6,500 for 13.5 hsp. hows the durability? is it 650 times better than a $10 shovel?

Looking for general home use, need to dig a 100' trench, replace my driveway culvert, landscaping, etc.

Never owned one, so I cant help you there but I would make sure that you run the numbers and ask yourself how much you will use it and that costs versus renting.

Or go my route and marry the daughter of a dude that owns one. Its worked pretty good so far.

anybody own one? I know there is cheap versions <$6,500 for 13.5 hsp. hows the durability? is it 650 times better than a $10 shovel?

Looking for general home use, need to dig a 100' trench, replace my driveway culvert, landscaping, etc.
We had a small one at a job i worked. We used it for cleaning out drains in tight places in a paper mill. It worked for that, but was horrible to actually dig with.
Just rent one. You can get a machine that's big enough to do the job you need done, and send it back when you are done.

I agree with the advice above. You tend to need a different size machine for every job and you have to get up around 21000 lbs to move dirt or remove trees and then you're moving it around with a low boy unless it stays at your property all the time.

The tracks will tear up the ground getting around and turning around so an excavator essentially a site work machine and not for finished turf. For jobs with turf, a TLB would be OK but the backhoe attachments don't get much done either.

The culvert will take 30 minutes to install.

The 100' trench, probably same amount of time and might be better accomplished with a trencher.

The landscaping can be done with shovels and post hole diggers and earth augers, etc.

Depending on how hard your soil is, one of the little guys may have a hard time.

We’ve rented one with a bucket and reach about like a standard size backhoe and that works out well. Depending on your rental house, a month may not cost a lot more than two weeks. Beware some rental yards turn the governors down so they are only 75% power - drives me nuts.

Clients that have bought a good size mini to piddle around their property have a lot of projects until the newness wears off, then it becomes a topic for the couple to argue about. Lol

A mainstream brand holds it’s value amazingly well. I’d love to get an off brand to piddle around with, but I’ve heard repair stories that were quite expensive. I wish a friend would get one that I could borrow. Lol

Where I'm at, it seems like 30 hp minimum to be able to do much.

They are handy, but I'd rent one, that's what I do.

And normally rent something a lot bigger than 30.

A 100' trench depending on depth, I'd maybe dig by hand.

I build fence, and have awesome equipment to put posts in the ground. At lunch someone called about insurance work, someone hit their fence, again.
4 posts, I'll probably dig by hand rather than move equipment around. I'll charge what I'd charge to move equipment, but not have the headache.

Rent it unless its cheaper to buy it for the same cost as a 2 week rental.

I bought a hammer drill a few years ago. For $50 I could rent it for a day, Or I could buy one and get another 4.5" angle grinder for $110. I knew I'd use the hammer drill again and i needed a new angle grinder. I've used the hammer drill about 5x since

Those tiny ones imo are only for small tight areas and small trenches for drains or running conduit. They can have trouble getting through roots, rocky or hard ground. Something in the 8k to 12k pound class can get some work done and still be pulled behind a 2500 or 3500. If you only want it for around the house consider something like a Kubota around 45hp 4x4 with loader and backhoe. They are nice and can do a lot around a house/property. If you drop the hoe you can brush hog, till, plow, disk etc. The mini excavator runs circles around the Kubota for digging though so if you will be digging a lot get a mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you have to go deep or rocky ground, rent a trencher.
I owned one when I was active with my business, bought one that I could still tow legally with my F250, but seemed to always rent or need a bigger machine. Now if I do any work I'll just rent. Unless working full time or own a farm, the ROI isn't there vs renting. Rent when you need one, and the extra you're saving, go on a Mountain Goat hunt in BC.

They don't dig well in the Desert. Ground is to hard. Otherwise loam or sand just fine. You can pick them up on the cheap. $5000 and get a stand up loader $4000 your in the business for small jobs. To me they need to be making money or just rent one for the project. I will say though, They are handy as pockets on a shirt when your in the need to dig small.

Once you own a skid steer and a mini ex it’s really hard to go back to a shovel haha.

Honestly my skid steers with trencher and auger attachments get used way more than my mini excavators. Plus they can be a forkilt, a small motor grader, a compacting roller… You name it they have a skid steer attachment for it.

Get one with tracks and not wheels and get wide fine tread tracks. My huge CAT 299D3XE doesn’t even tear up the ground much at all. My Kubota with the standard block tread tracks tears it up badly, but still not at bad as wheeled machine.

We use the mini excavators more for lot clearing big brush and mesquites and to scratch/break through top layer soil and hard pan. Skid steers for everything else.

You don’t need a low boy even for Kubotas largest enclosed cab tracked excavator (KX080). Get a good quality double 15K axle gooseneck and go to work.

I own a mini ex and I am very I happy I bought it. I have to do quite a bit of trenching around my place and it’s been very helpful. Additionally, I’ve been using it to straighten up my fence posts and various other projects.

had a Kabota tractor and it was hard to beat for stuff around property. Fast, lots of attachments, etc.

But I was spoiled and had access to a fleet of skid steers/mini ex when you actually had big work like building road/lot clearing, pretty much anything. Like mentioned above a tracked skid along with mini is a lethal combo.

I’d rent mini and skid unless you use them to make money. Tractors are great for around the yard.

Back