MKC Blackfoot or Benchmade Steep Country

I'm not too knowledgeable with knifes. I am considering the 2 mentioned above for general hunting (gutting/skinning) of elk and deer. Are the 2 even in the same class of quality? Recommendations...thoughts...
Thanks.

Mosby

WKR
I have a few Benchmade knives and one is a Steep Country. I will be carrying it this year on my elk hunt. Well balanced, sharp etc., Will do anything I need a knife to do and I can send it back to Benchmade and they will resharpen for free. I have never owned a MKC knife so I can't compare but Benchmade makes a nice knife.

D S 319

WKR
I really like my MKC knives. You can also ship them back for lifetime sharpening. I liked my Blackfoot before I lost it on a trail in MT. Broke down 2-3 deer and 100s of birds and was still sharp. The owner told me when I bought it they had done a few bears, hogs, deer and elk without needing sharpened. Depends how you want to spend your money, MKC is more $$.

jpmulk

WKR
What about argali knives? Same price range and quality. People who have them rave about them. Better priced than MKC

I’d go with the Benchmade SC. But I agree with the above about Argali. Or Hogue.

You could get the BM and a havalon piranta and save yourself about $100 over the mkc, have an at least equally capable fixed blade and a replaceable blade as well.

Blandry

WKR
MKC knoves Seem very overpriced for what you actually get. The ones I’ve handled are nice but I can’t imagine why they are like 300 dollars.
Agreed. I purchased their large beartooth skinner secondhand (cheaper) because I love the profile for certain tasks but for other things a replaceable blade or my other fixed blades fill that spot. I have a benchmade 15010 (serrated) and it's the best knife I've ever owned for hunting uses. Not the most expensive (I have a lot) but the best working knife. It's similar to their saddle hunter but discontinued. I thought I'd lost it at deer camp and was very upset, then when cleaning the cab of my truck, found it stuck way behind in the back of the cab 2 years later. It had some rust but I fixed that.

OP, I don't have anything against MKC and love mine but in your case I'd go with the benchmade. it will serve the same purpose at cheaper price.

Last edited:
While nice they are definitely overpriced for something everyone else is carrying.
Marketing!
Lots of custom makers if you’re spending that money.
Get a bugout and tyto/kestrel and be done.
Here’s a custom made out of 3v made to my specs for not much more.
MKC knoves Seem very overpriced for what you actually get. The ones I’ve handled are nice but I can’t imagine why they are like 300z

Attachments

• IMG_8386.png
    IMG_8386.png
    1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8388.jpeg
    IMG_8388.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 60

Brando

FNG
I have an Argali Serac and the BM SC. Used the Argali on a small blacktail this season. I wasnt blown away by the Argali. I felt like I had to touch it up a couple times more than I have my Benchmade. Also prefer the ergos of the Benchmade more. The Argali will be my backup.

2-Stix

WKR
I run the steep country and would not change a thing about the design. I touch it up about 1/2 through a deer. But I am skinning, taking off legs, the head, splitting the hip and sternum.

Last edited:

RAPTOR

WKR
I have an Argali Serac and the BM SC. Used the Argali on a small blacktail this season. I wasnt blown away by the Argali. I felt like I had to touch it up a couple times more than I have my Benchmade. Also prefer the ergos of the Benchmade more. The Argali will be my backup.
I went complete opposite. Sold my steep country and won't give up the Serac.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d get a knife I don’t have to peel the scales off every time I cut up an animal.

I don’t understand these premium knives coming with scales screwed on.