Montana 17-18' Winter.

I know the Custer country has been absolute hammered this winter, I will be out there in a month and will give a report on deer numbers. Too bad they were just coming back to some great numbers. I'm sure FWP will follow it up with giving more mule deer doe B tags, they sure think thats the way to help recovering deer...

I live here in Custer County. It’s definitely bad and the snow really centralized itself right in the Custer and Rosebud counties. Antelope have taken a huge hit, Whitetail very little and Mule Deer a little. Surprisingly, the Mule Deer mortality has been very low with all these storms. Sad knowing that our Antelope were just starting to do ok and now they are right back to where they were. Several observation flights have taken place by local outfitters and have found very few dead Mule Deer.

Drove Interstate 90 from Bozeman area through East of Sheridan last Thursday and Friday. Incredible amounts of snow! Mostly saw deer on blown ridges. Hope it starts to melt soon, looked pretty bad as far as "tough on deer".

My brother was out in North Eastern Wyoming today, just south of Montana border. 8 winter killed deer over 4-5 miles. Might head south of Miles City in the next week or so, see what the conditions are like. Hopefully this warm weather puts a real dent in the snowpack.

Back