Montana elk observation

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from a few days in SW Montana. In all 3 spots I hunted, in 3 separate zones (all 3xx) I found no elk in the backcountry save for a set of lone bull tracks that I followed and ultimately bumped him from his bed. I am usually pretty good at finding likely good glassing spots and locating elk.

I found several large herds of cows (200+) on private land visible from the highway. These elk literally are kn display and out in the wide open all day. I have not experienced this in Idaho or Wyoming. There was definitely not enough snow to restrict them to lower ground so pressure was the likely answer. As an out of state hunter, Im not sure how to overcome this except to try and hunt areas farther from towns and highways.

Any thoughts? Next time I draw an MT tag Im definitely trying different areas!

Geewhiz

WKR
I dont know where you're from but Im just going to say be thankful for the private lands that restrict hunting access in this part of the state. There is so much public land access around here (I mean being able to drive roads to within 1/2 mile of anywhere you want to be) that every elk would be shot to oblivion if not for the few private sanctuaries that dont allow hunting access. Those elk are your breeding stock, and if not for those pieces of private to allow refuge there wouldnt be any elk to hunt.

OP
W

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. No beef with private landowners, just saying there doesnt seem to be any tactics I can employ other than moving on. All 3 zones I hunted had relatively poor road access (one main road in only) but I found boot tracks 3-4 miles back in some cases.

Geewhiz

WKR
Interesting. No beef with private landowners, just saying there doesnt seem to be any tactics I can employ other than moving on. All 3 zones I hunted had relatively poor road access (one main road in only) but I found boot tracks 3-4 miles back in some cases.
My experience with this year is quite the stark contrast from last year. Last year winter came early, cold weather and lots of snow pushed the animals out of the hills and concentrated them very low and easily accessible to hunters. This year theres no snow at 10k' so the animals are still spread out and many of them are still very high since there is still accessible forage. Makes finding them not quite as easy.

I know alot of locals that pretty well got skunked ths year.

This year is the first time in 20 years for these conditions. I have been hunting every day on horseback since I got out of the hospital. The elk are scattered in singles, pairs and groups of 4.

We have seen cows twice and no bulls but rubs everywhere. Beds are rare, they seem to be continually moving. The high country is iced in which moves them out. I hunt jungles and have cut tracks nearly every day. I'm about 1-2 days behind them - everywhere. In over 25 days in the back country I have only heard 9 shots and 2 of those were ours.

I've checked all my favorite areas without luck. I just keep trying.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
My experience with this year is quite the stark contrast from last year. Last year winter came early, cold weather and lots of snow pushed the animals out of the hills and concentrated them very low and easily accessible to hunters. This year theres no snow at 10k' so the animals are still spread out and many of them are still very high since there is still accessible forage. Makes finding them not quite as easy.

I know alot of locals that pretty well got skunked ths year.
This is spot on.

It’s been a really tough year your not the only one that’s struggling. Haven’t heard many shots either when we’ve been out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I do think most people struggle because the elk don't have to be out a lot in daylight, there is a lot of feed in the timber, and they can be pretty high and away from people.

I like years like this because we can get into places with elk and no one else is bothering them. Years like last year the elk are low enough you are always dealing with people.

OP
W

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Reassuring to hear that its not just my experiences. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

GClyde28

FNG
Hunted all last week. Finally got on some fresh sign/trail around day 4. Unfortunately that’s the same day roads became impassable for us to get back up to where we found them. 4wd with chains and still sliding around more than we felt comfortable with. All the snow a few weeks ago and then the warm weather during the day and then re-freezing at night did us no favors. Didn’t hear a single shot while at higher elevation elk hunting. Heard a couple shots lower we assumed to be deer hunters and another shot off private and that was it for the whole week.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
There are two factors.

1) it’s called hunting
2) last year the big opening week snow storm drove what seems like every mature bull out of the high country and got shot. Not kidding, last years success in SW MT was off the charts. It’ll take awhile before there’s bulls in numbers in that country again.

I heard last night that last year that 1000 elk came through the check stations in sw Montana. This year the number was 70. Even that was significantly better than the area I hunt.

jimh406

WKR
It's not that unique for Elk. Big game (deer, Elk, etc) go where the food is. If there is lots of great private land (food), the Elk will likely be there.

Hunted opening week and we got into some elk but it was definitely a first light last light situation. Not much weather and my buddies went later in November and really struggled. Last year there was so much snow and cold…was seeing bulls almost every day just couldn’t get to them with the deep snow. My guess is mostly weather

I found some luck in MT this season within a mile of the road. Potentially an overlooked spot, but we found fresh sign and the elk were there. 2 out of 3 shot bulls on an 8 day hunt this archery season. Keep hiking til you find the sign!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrailDog

FNG
Tough year for sure! I know a ton of solid backcountry hunters who got skunked this year, myself included. 5 of us in hunting camp for 10 days only yeiled one forked whitetail buck....