Non resident montana elk tag

RC51kid

FNG
I have read the Montana regs but still a little confused. I would like to elk hunt 2024 in Montana. I dont think i will get things inorder to be a resident so right now i am looking for info on nonresident elk tag.

It looks like it will cost me about $1400 which sucks but is still cheaper than me going to NM for a guided hunt. From what I hear there is no way i will get drawn for the hard to get districts. But can i just buy a general tag and hunt areas that are "not a draw"? Also i MIGHT have access to some private land. Does that change anything? Also i am perfectly happy with a cow. Just want meat in the freezer and to build on my limited experience.

Just a little confused becouse i hear about people having no chance at certain draws without points and all that stuff.

Thanks for helping out the new guy.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any preference points right now for a general tag?

According to past years you have 0% chance to draw with 1 point.

They allow you to buy a point at the application so if you have 1 point you can buy 1, going into the draw with 2 points.

If you’re going guided you can buy 2 points at the time of application

Maximum preference points is 3, for now…

You have to apply every other year. If you don’t apply for 2 years then you lose your points.

Bonus points are for limited entry units.

Pretty simple ain’t it.

OP
R

RC51kid

FNG
Do you have any preference points right now for a general tag?

According to past years you have 0% chance to draw with 1 point.

They allow you to buy a point at the application so if you have 1 point you can buy 1, going into the draw with 2 points.

If you’re going guided you can buy 2 points at the time of application

Maximum preference points is 3, for now…

You have to apply every other year. If you don’t apply for 2 years then you lose your points.

Bonus points are for limited entry units.

Pretty simple ain’t it.
Can just pay for the tag and hun "non limited entry units"? How much would that restrict me? Would it mater if i was on private land?

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Can just pay for the tag and hun "non limited entry units"? How much would that restrict me? Would it mater if i was on private land?
No. You can't just buy a general tag as a NR. You'll have to get drawn.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting private land won’t help your odds of getting a tag. It may help your odds of filling that tag.

Wapiti1

WKR
All Non-Res elk tags are draw in Montana. It is a two tier system. Tier one is the Elk combo or Big Game combo license. They give 17000 ish elk tags out to non-res hunters. Those are good in any open unit that doesn't require a Permit, which is most of the state. i.e. that is the general elk tag good in all seasons. To get one, you apply in the draw. There are no OTC options for non-res. Preference points are applied to this tag.

At this time, it will require 2-3 preference points to have a decent shot at one. Preference points are purchased either the year before separately, or when you apply. If you apply this year and buy a point, you would have one point in the draw. If you apply next year and buy a point, you would have 2. Montana is a little unique in that the point you buy applies in the year it is purchased. Most states don't apply the point until next year.

This is ONLY for a general tag, or what I called tier 1.

Tier two is a permit. To get a permit, you must draw the general tag above in the first drawing. Then your Permit application goes through a second drawing. If successful you get the permit, if not, you still have the general tag to hunt with, or you can turn it back in. Permits take bonus points and they are different than preference points. Bonus points kind of increase your odds of drawing, but DO NOT guaranty a permit. A person with no bonus points still has a shot at a permit, a person with 20 has a better shot. No one has a slam dunk.

Private land means nothing in the drawings. It might change the elk you can shoot, though. Sometimes you can shoot a cow on private with a general tag in rifle season. Typically, a general tag is a bull tag in rifle season, and either sex in archery (but read the regulations for the unit to be certain).

This also doesn't touch on cow permits.

Jeremy

OP
R

RC51kid

FNG
All Non-Res elk tags are draw in Montana. It is a two tier system. Tier one is the Elk combo or Big Game combo license. They give 17000 ish elk tags out to non-res hunters. Those are good in any open unit that doesn't require a Permit, which is most of the state. i.e. that is the general elk tag good in all seasons. To get one, you apply in the draw. There are no OTC options for non-res. Preference points are applied to this tag.

At this time, it will require 2-3 preference points to have a decent shot at one. Preference points are purchased either the year before separately, or when you apply. If you apply this year and buy a point, you would have one point in the draw. If you apply next year and buy a point, you would have 2. Montana is a little unique in that the point you buy applies in the year it is purchased. Most states don't apply the point until next year.

This is ONLY for a general tag, or what I called tier 1.

Tier two is a permit. To get a permit, you must draw the general tag above in the first drawing. Then your Permit application goes through a second drawing. If successful you get the permit, if not, you still have the general tag to hunt with, or you can turn it back in. Permits take bonus points and they are different than preference points. Bonus points kind of increase your odds of drawing, but DO NOT guaranty a permit. A person with no bonus points still has a shot at a permit, a person with 20 has a better shot. No one has a slam dunk.

Private land means nothing in the drawings. It might change the elk you can shoot, though. Sometimes you can shoot a cow on private with a general tag in rifle season. Typically, a general tag is a bull tag in rifle season, and either sex in archery (but read the regulations for the unit to be certain).

This also doesn't touch on cow permits.

Jeremy
That is about as clear as anyone could make it.

OP
R

RC51kid

FNG
Thanks for the good advice. One more stipid question. If i put in for a Montana tag and dont get one does it still cost me $1400 or do I only pay if i get drawn?

The advice sounds like i should put in for a Montana tag. I spend a LOT of time near Helena and gettin a Montana tag would mean i could start scouting in the spring. I am also familure with a lot of the state from fishing, hiking and moto riding. So i know some areas on a basic level.

If i cant get a MT tag I think i will look at a Idaho over the counter tag. Since Idaho is reasonbly close it wod give me acceptable logistics to scout it. But i will start a new thread about Idaho areas.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the good advice. One more stipid question. If i put in for a Montana tag and dont get one does it still cost me $1400 or do I only pay if i get drawn?

The advice sounds like i should put in for a Montana tag. I spend a LOT of time near Helena and gettin a Montana tag would mean i could start scouting in the spring. I am also familure with a lot of the state from fishing, hiking and moto riding. So i know some areas on a basic level.

If i cant get a MT tag I think i will look at an Idaho over the counter tag. Since Idaho is reasonbly close it wod give me acceptable logistics to scout it. But i will start a new thread about Idaho areas.
Have you read anything on FWP’s website?

If there is a tag left in Idaho, it probably won’t be anything decent. Those went on sale 2 months ago and sell out in hours

If i cant get a MT tag I think i will look at a Idaho over the counter tag. Since Idaho is reasonbly close it wod give me acceptable logistics to scout it. But i will start a new thread about Idaho areas.
I may of missed it but I didn't see where anyone answered your question above.

You have to pay the full price before the Draw but if you don't draw you get about 3/4 of your money back or they allow you do donate it to Montana. I don't figure many go that route though. You pretty much have to buy a Elk Combination tag. Or you can purchase a Elk and Deer combination tag. The Combo tag comes with a Fishing license and a small game tag which you can hunt birds with. If you intend to also hunt Archery, you need to choose bow and arrow when you put in for the draw. The nice thing about a Montana Combo tag is that it's good for the whole year, meaning if you draw and hunt with a bow but don't succeed, you can hunt with a Rifle when that season comes in. Also some units allow you to take a Cow or Bull but for some units it's Bull only.

If you don't draw Montana you could get a Utah Elk tag. It's not exactly a draw there for their general season But when they start selling tags you want to be on your computer that morning cause they often sell out within hours even though they typically sell 15 thousand Non-resident tags.

Last edited:

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I may of missed it but I didn't see where anyone answered your question above.

You have to pay the full price before the Draw but if you don't draw you get about 3/4 of your money back or they allow you do donate it to Montana. I don't figure many go that route though. You pretty much have to buy a Elk Combination tag. Or you can purchase a Elk and Deer combination tag. The Combo tag comes with a Fishing license and a small game tag which you can hunt birds with. If you intend to also hunt Archery, you need to choose bow and arrow when you put in for the draw. The nice thing about a Montana Combo tag is that it's good for the whole year, meaning if you draw and hunt with a bow but don't succeed, you can hunt with a Rifle when that season comes in. Also some units allow you to take a Cow or Bull but for some units it's Bull only.

If you don't draw Montana you could get an Utah Elk tag. It's not exactly a draw there for their general season But when they start selling tags you want to be on your computer that morning cause they often sell out within hours even though they typically sell 15 thousand Non-resident tags.
No that’s not correct. If you don’t draw you get a full refund minus the application fee.

You are confusing with the 80% refund option if you don’t get a limited entry permit.

Wapiti1

WKR
No that’s not correct. If you don’t draw you get a full refund minus the application fee.

You are confusing with the 80% refund option if you don’t get a limited entry permit.
Yes, but...... You get 100% of the Big Game Combo fee, but...

You don't get a refund for the base hunting license, conservation license, aquatic invasive species or preference point fee (if you chose to buy one) in addition to the 5$ application fee. You're out about $140 just to apply for the general tags with preference point option.

Jeremy

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, but...... You get 100% of the Big Game Combo fee, but...

You don't get a refund for the base hunting license, conservation license, aquatic invasive species or preference point fee (if you chose to buy one) in addition to the 5$ application fee. You're out about $140 just to apply for the general tags with preference point option.

Jeremy

Yes, $37.50 in fees to apply
Base hunting $15
Conservation license $10
Aquatic invasive species $7.50
Application $5

Preference point isn’t really a fee, but an optional cost 😁

CLRR

Lil-Rokslider
So if I have zero points (burned my points last year) and wanted an elk combo tag this year, would I be better off not buying the point when I put my application in? So applying with a true zero points

So if I have zero points (burned my points last year) and wanted an elk combo tag this year, would I be better off not buying the point when I put my application in? So applying with a true zero points
Yes and no. Your odds would be better, but if you don't draw, you cannot buy a point later in the year and will be in the same situation next year. Depends on how much you like planning your hunts.

CLRR

Lil-Rokslider
Well that’s good to know cause I was planning on just applying with zero and if I didn’t draw than I’d buy a point later on in the points purchase. Thanks for the info

Riplip

WKR
Well that’s good to know cause I was planning on just applying with zero and if I didn’t draw than I’d buy a point later on in the points purchase. Thanks for the info
That won't work. If you apply and don't choose to purchase a point at time of application you cannot purchase a point later in the year.