Montana Knife Co Stonewall Skinner review

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Montana Knife Company sent me their new Stonewall Skinner knife to review. Having used their Blackfoot last year on a spring black bear where it performed very well, I look forward to getting some use out of this skinner. I’ll be chasing bears for the next month on and off, I’ll update as I take it afield.
IMG_2152.jpegIMG_2155.jpeg

Initial impressions are the solid quality I’ve come to expect from MKC as far as fit and finish. Both are made with cryogenically treated 52100 high-carbon ball bearing steel, and have full tang construction. But that is where the similarities end. The Stonewall skinner is quite larger than the blackfoot, with the blade shapes being different as the skinner has a longer belly. The blade is sharp and needs nothing right out of the box.
IMG_2221.jpeg

It comes with a kydex sheath, with the option of horizontal, vertical and even butt down carry due to the adjustable retention screw. I’ll have to play with different configurations to see if I like this type of carry, as I don’t generally care for too much gear strapped all over the place in the terrain and vegetation I hunt. I may pull the belt loop off to slim it down and keep it in my lid.
IMG_2154.jpeg

This knife, along with their entire line are part of the “Generations” program where they will sharpen it for life at no charge. I’m about to send the blackfoot back as it due for a touch up that I prefer the experts tackle, given the price ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2153.jpeg
    IMG_2153.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: