Montana Rifle Co. Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

the younger "flat brim generation" (not being pejorative here), if they even know what it is, could care less about CRF
I think it's more about older hunters thinking any CRF is better than PF due to books they read or stories they heard about dangerous game hunting in Africa. As Form said, a lot of CRF is done wrong. It's also slightly more difficult to do CRF in precision bolt rifles. That's not to say there aren't good examples of precision CRF like ARC, Zermatt, and maybe a couple Defiance CRF variants (?). But push-feed done right is extremely reliable too. No one goes around calling Impact actions unreliable.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, that's me. It's a really under appreciated design!

I have the folding version of the Grohman Canadian Belt Knife. Every time I put it to work with anyone watching they wanna know more about it. I love the way it zips up under hide.

Have been reading about the Grohman belt knife after reading the previous comments, looks like a great design. Interestingly, my dad has an old Chicago cutlery knife he’s had for decades and despite trying many others, he always goes back to using it over other designs. The Grohman seems to have some similar design features in the blade to his trust Chicago Cutlery and as you said, I’ve always marveled at how well it zips through hide without catching.

I believe his knife is the Chicago cutlery BT-94, it looks very similar to the one in this post, except his is so well used he’s sharpened away all the serrations on the “break through tip”.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have been reading about the Grohman belt knife after reading the previous comments, looks like a great design. Interestingly, my dad has an old Chicago cutlery knife he’s had for decades and despite trying many others, he always goes back to using it over other designs. The Grohman seems to have some similar design features in the blade to his trust Chicago Cutlery and as you said, I’ve always marveled at how well it zips through hide without catching.

I believe his knife is the Chicago cutlery BT-94, it looks very similar to the one in this post, except his is so well used he’s sharpened away all the serrations on the “break through tip”.

That’s actually a version of a butcher or skinning knife- good too.

Looks a bit like a green river buffalo skinner

[mention]Formidilosus [/mention] If you decided this was the rifle for you and were okay with the stock geometry, would you epoxy (skim bed) all the interior wood to prevent moisture absorption? Would you epoxy the bottom metal to the stock?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
[mention]Formidilosus [/mention] If you decided this was the rifle for you and were okay with the stock geometry, would you epoxy (skim bed) all the interior wood to prevent moisture absorption? Would you epoxy the bottom metal to the stock?

I wouldn’t be ok with this stock design but…

Install aluminum pillars, bed action, and bed bottom metal.

Bert01

FNG
I had a chance to correspond with Ian from MRC this week, he was helping me with another project I’m working on. He was super helpful and pleasant to deal with. We actually talked about this thread a little and I was impressed with his responses, taking responsibility and working through solutions to the issues seen here. I would have confidence in any dealings with the new MRC based on what I experienced this week.

I own an old MRC x1 in 6.5 cm. It’s a great shooter but the bolt has always stuck. I tried to sent it back to MRC when they were still in business and based out of Montana.

The CS rep told me to send them a video of the problem. So I did and never heard back from them. Multiple calls, multiple emails and a month goes by I get no response. Then they close the doors. I was pretty disappointed to say the least.

It’s a heavy platform so I’ll be interested to see if the new owners can lighten it up some and fix the quality control issues that have plagued MRC.

Sent it to Moon at crescent customs (bc he specializes in m70 actions and had a fast turn around and overall a great smith) I had him cut the barrel to 18 inches and fix the sticky bolt.

For what it’s worth its a great little gun but if I had to do it over I’d just buy a tikka.

I do agree with Form tho a CRF rifle would be a really nice option for some factory rifles options. I think only Ruger and Winchester are the only two that come to mind that are a true CRF.

FN makes/made some crf bolt actions that some dudes seem to like but all more tactical oriented IIRC. Are they basically the same as a modern m70?

SDHNTR

WKR
Form, you need to educate your UM boys on CRF. That podcast they did on CRF was a disgrace. I found it an ignorant and arrogant display of dismissing firearm heritage!

SDHNTR

WKR
A new one?
5/16/23. But it was new to me cause I’m not much of a podcast guy. I was shocked at the tone. Basically anyone who likes CRF is an old and irrelevant dinosaur. Was also surprised that someone in the business of building rifles hadn’t heard of Heym, Dakota or MRC, and because they hadn’t heard of them, they must be irrelevant. The whole thing was quite “holier than thou.” Maybe they should stick to hunting Adriatic buffalo, LOL, with their push feeds!

Even if you don’t agree with something, know where you came from and show some respect, IMO. And guess what guys , I’m still holding onto the under age 50 crowd, the age where you said CRF becomes irrelevant.

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
5/16/23. But it was new to me cause I’m not much of a podcast guy. I was shocked at the tone. Basically anyone who likes CRF is an old and irrelevant dinosaur. Was also surprised that someone in the business of building rifles hadn’t heard of Heym, Dakota or MRC, and because they hadn’t heard of them, they must be irrelevant. The whole thing was quite “holier than thou.” Maybe they should stick to hunting Adriatic buffalo, LOL, with their push feeds!

Even if you don’t agree with something, know where you came from and show some respect, IMO. And guess what guys , I’m still holding onto the under age 50 crowd, the age where you said CRF becomes irrelevant.

Ahh. I don’t have any say in the matter, however that one was talked about immediately.

Both will be shooting a CRF rifle pretty heavily soon.

• Haha
Reactions: NSI

SloppyJ

WKR
Form I see you posting in all of the M70 threads and I appreciate it. There aren't many people in this day and age of carbon fiber and chassis "customs" who appreciate a CRF action.

I guess I have an old soul. I'm not old, probably one of those flat brimmed hat wearing people that someone else mentioned. However, I'm drawn to the M70 for some reason. I think Carlos Hathcock might be the coolest dude who ever lived. If you pick up a nice M70, there's just a classy feel to it that's hard to put into words.

I'm glad you're testing this rifle and I'm glad you appreciate the merits of a CRF action. I feel like there aren't many people left who even know what it is and that's sad. I hope to see a revival and new acceptance of CRF actions and this is a step in the right direction.

I think there are people out there who would happily pay an extra $500+ to have a really nice CRF and I'm one of them.

SDHNTR

WKR
Form I see you posting in all of the M70 threads and I appreciate it. There aren't many people in this day and age of carbon fiber and chassis "customs" who appreciate a CRF action.

I guess I have an old soul. I'm not old, probably one of those flat brimmed hat wearing people that someone else mentioned. However, I'm drawn to the M70 for some reason. I think Carlos Hathcock might be the coolest dude who ever lived. If you pick up a nice M70, there's just a classy feel to it that's hard to put into words.

I'm glad you're testing this rifle and I'm glad you appreciate the merits of a CRF action. I feel like there aren't many people left who even know what it is and that's sad. I hope to see a revival and new acceptance of CRF actions and this is a step in the right direction.

I think there are people out there who would happily pay an extra $500+ to have a really nice CRF and I'm one of them.
I got a feeling you and I are kindred spirits. 💯

I’m not real old yet either, but I appreciate craftsmanship and the heritage of our beloved sport.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

That podcast contributed to my deciding I had better things to listen to. I'm in my 30s, but prefer CRF or the Sako 85 pseudo CRF (the 90 is a pure push feed) over PF. Unfortunately Sako is impossible to find after market parts for (and the if you want to change anything and Kimber is close to as hard with piss poor QC. M70s are heavy, but I thought hard about one before deciding to give Tikka a try.