Montana season change proposal

You don't need to restrict hunters to one region in order to know how many people are hunting each region. Just start mandatory reporting and you can have that information without new restrictions. After a few years of data collection you will be in a better position to makes decisions regarding the other recommendations.

This proposal feels like too much too fast and with too little hard data to back it up.

You don't need to restrict hunters to one region in order to know how many people are hunting each region. Just start mandatory reporting and you can have that information without new restrictions. After a few years of data collection you will be in a better position to makes decisions regarding the other recommendations.

This proposal feels like too much too fast and with too little hard data to back it up.

exactly :)

Fwp wants no part of mandatory reporting. Wish they did but they don’t.

^ it is however one of the recommendations from the first committee; thus the discussion

it's possible FWP and the commission say no to every proposal, but as the department is behind putting the mule deer committee together-guessing something (maybe a couple of somethings) will be adopted out of it

^ it is however one of the recommendations from the first committee; thus the discussion

it's possible FWP and the commission say no to every proposal, but as the department is behind putting the mule deer committee together-guessing something (maybe a couple of somethings) will be adopted out of it
Mandatory isn't happening without a legislative mandate. Not in this administration/with the current director at the helm. Hopefully folks will turn out during the session to support it

I think putting the mule deer committee together was more of a “see we care” and that’s about it. I hope I’m wrong

Serious question; Why do you think that is?
I posted many pages back about a mule deer sensing meeting that I attended prior to the selection of the Mule Deer Citizens Advisory Committee. At that meeting, basically every single person in attendance supported mandatory reporting, debated for it, argued for it, then even said we’d prioritize fees to pay for it.

MTFWP absolutely loves their f-cking algorithm. They use (and pay for) 3 separate shitty processes that collect partial information that feeds the statistics. We have staff check stations that get a fraction of the hunters. We have the bullshit random calls from telemarketers as late as April AFTER hunting season. Now we also have the eTag.

There reasons were…
Our data is “statistically valid”
We don’t need exact data
It will cost too much
We can’t enforce it
If it was enforced, eventually someone “important” would raise political hell about it

They do not know +/- 10,000 how many deer/elk are killed annually. They don’t know +/- 100,000 on “hunter days” annually. That is why I laugh when people say they looked on Go Hunt for MT “data”. MT has essentially ZERO “data”… we have statistics.

I posted many pages back about a mule deer sensing meeting that I attended prior to the selection of the Mule Deer Citizens Advisory Committee. At that meeting, basically every single person in attendance supported mandatory reporting, debated for it, argued for it, then even said we’d prioritize fees to pay for it.

MTFWP absolutely loves their f-cking algorithm. They use (and pay for) 3 separate shitty processes that collect partial information that feeds the statistics. We have staff check stations that get a fraction of the hunters. We have the bullshit random calls from telemarketers as late as April AFTER hunting season. Now we also have the eTag.

There reasons were…
We don’t need exact data
It will cost too much
We can’t enforce it
If it was enforced, eventually someone “important” would raise political hell about it

They do not know +/- 10,000 how many deer/elk are killed annually. They don’t know +/- 100,000 on “hunter days” annually. That is why I laugh when people say they looked on Go Hunt for MT “data”. MT has essentially ZERO “data”… we have statistics.
Not sure what regional meeting you attended but that’s about dead nuts on what was said for region 7. Canned answers I’m assuming

This harvest reporting really annoys me. Why couldn’t fwp program in their licensing portal when you log in a simple questionnaire to answer that would gather way more data than their cold calling and check stations.

#1 did you hunt deer in Montana last year?
A. Yes
B. No

#2a Did you harvest a buck?
A. Yes
B. No
C. N/A
#2b Did you harvest a whitetail
or mule deer
A. Mule Deer
B. Whitetail deer
#2c How many days afield did you spend
#2d What district did you harvest your buck?
#2e. Was harvest on private land or public land
A.Private
B. Public

#3a Did you harvest a doe?
A. Yes
B. No
C. N/A
#3bDid you harvest a whitetail or mule deer
A. Mule deer
B. Whitetail
#3c How many days afield did you spend
#3d. What district did you harvest your doe
#3e. Was harvest on private land or public
A. Private
B. Public

Have a tab to select multiple doe tags

That would be pretty simple and fast to fill out and gather lots of data

I think what is happening is the overwhelming pressure throughout MT and the west. Sure there's alot of NR hunters, but, there's also a ton of residents who just moved here as well. You don't need to know much, to see the west is being overrun. I don't blame people either. The mule deer problem seems regional to me. There's been no change in the herds around where I hunt or live. Couldn't they close certain districts for mule deer mid Nov. Before the rut to protect the endangered populations? Other states like WY are really dinging the NR..MT needs to follow. These are our resources. We pay to live here. Less NR would lighten the load. Outfitters won't like it tho...

You missed one. Did you see any deer while you were hunting? How many? About how many were bucks? How many points on the average?
An increase or decrease from previous years?

Not really. I would like to bring attention to the fact that mule deer are nearly extinct in the 3-4 districts I hunt in and have been for nearly 3 decades.

This harvest reporting really annoys me. Why couldn’t fwp program in their licensing portal when you log in a simple questionnaire to answer that would gather way more data than their cold calling and check stations.

#1 did you hunt deer in Montana last year?
A. Yes
B. No

#2a Did you harvest a buck?
A. Yes
B. No
C. N/A
#2b Did you harvest a whitetail
or mule deer
A. Mule Deer
B. Whitetail deer
#2c How many days afield did you spend
#2d What district did you harvest your buck?
#2e. Was harvest on private land or public land
A.Private
B. Public

#3a Did you harvest a doe?
A. Yes
B. No
C. N/A
#3bDid you harvest a whitetail or mule deer
A. Mule deer
B. Whitetail
#3c How many days afield did you spend
#3d. What district did you harvest your doe
#3e. Was harvest on private land or public
A. Private
B. Public

Have a tab to select multiple doe tags

That would be pretty simple and fast to fill out and gather lots of data
Ohhh. Your naivety is cute. You think it would be simple for MTFWP to amend the contract with the company that designed their shitty online portal? Adding a questionnaire like you propose… easily a 3.2 million dollar contract modification.

In all seriousness… Again, we harped on this at our meeting. Hunters are literally begging for mandatory reporting. I even told them to implement a due date. If you miss it, you get a ticket in the mail, you don’t get a license again until you pay the ticket. We’re begging to be “managed”.

They are adamantly opposed and will have to be forced to go to it.

And furthermore @brockel !!!

You think it would be easy to update the portal? Seriously? Remember all of us that drew sheep tags last year! Oops, I mean, no we didn’t. Remember all the nonresidents that drew elk the year before? Oops, no they didn’t.

I DO NOT think the site can be easily updated.🤣🤣

And furthermore @brockel !!!

You think it would be easy to update the portal? Seriously? Remember all of us that drew sheep tags last year! Oops, I mean, no we didn’t. Remember all the nonresidents that drew elk the year before? Oops, no they didn’t.

I DO NOT think the site can be easily updated.🤣🤣
You’re right. There’s a lot of high schoolers that could handle doing it but fwp might be a stretch

There reasons were…
We don’t need exact data
It will cost too much
We can’t enforce it

Make it May.... I just received the telemarketing call about my elk hunt earlier this week.

Back