Montana unlimited area

Going to be hunting 501 wondering if any one on here has attempted this hunt with any kind of success .

dotman

WKR
Not yet but am currently planning for 2016. Kurt the owner of Stone Glacier packs has done it and took a great ram in the process.

Mtnboy

WKR
Not me. But a Montana Unlimited hunt is on my bucket list! I read a Duncan Gilchrist book that had some chapters on the unlimited hunts.

If you can keep us updated on the process and hunt that'd be awesome!

Good luck!

dotman

WKR
Not me. But a Montana Unlimited hunt is on my bucket list! I read a Duncan Gilchrist book that had some chapters on the unlimited hunts.

If you can keep us updated on the process and hunt that'd be awesome!

Good luck!

His book is about the best info out on the unlimited units.

Clarktar

WKR
I am not considered a resident until June, so I am not sure if I can apply. Learning the MT hunting regs is a pain in the ass!

Logan T

WKR
I've never been in there chasing sheep but know 2 guys that have been a lot. One of them took a ram that went almost book, but he is a sheep nut and hunted that area for 10 years before he even had the opportunity for a sheep like that. The other hasn't been close to any sheep in several years. I've been on the west side of that unit though, and that area is big and rugged, lots of country to cover before you get even close to the sheep. Lots of guys use horses. The guys who killed the sheep ended up in a spot where even the sat phone wouldn't reach out, had to spend two nights up there getting the ram out to where he could call his wife.

Clarktar- I'm not absolutely positive but I think you may be able to purchase an unlimited tag otc.

The unlimited units are not OTC, you have to apply for them first choice in the regular Big 3 drawing. If you are not a resident by the drawing deadline you'll have to enter as a NR and pay the extra moolah.

The unlimited units are big and very rugged. If you are hunting them on foot you certainly have your work cut out for you. There are some very good rams in these units. I saw one that came out of Hellroaring that went mid 180s, so there are sheep in there that will make the book.

I would mentally wrap myself around the task at hand. You may not even see a sheep the first year. The guys that kill sheep in here have either been doing it for a lot of years or know someone that has.

It's beautiful country, and if you don't have fun doing it then something is wrong with you. Be in good shape and be able to cover a lot of country.

Logan T

WKR
The unlimited units are not OTC, you have to apply for them first choice in the regular Big 3 drawing. If you are not a resident by the drawing deadline you'll have to enter as a NR and pay the extra moolah.

I know that in years past that you still had to apply for them as first choice in the drawing, but I think that may have changed this year. Here is straight out of the regs.

"- Unlimited Licenses - Unlimited bighorn sheep licenses have no limit on the number of licenses sold and may be available from License Providers, including FWP Online Licensing, or the hunter has the option of applying by the May 1 deadline through the drawing process."

Also,

"-- 501 Beartooth Mountains --
Unlimited Bighorn Sheep License. Purchase
or apply by May 1.
501-60: over the counter
• Sept 15 - Nov 30 - Legal ram Bighorn Sheep.
Harvest quota = 3.*
* Any person harvesting a Bighorn Sheep in this Hunting District must personally call the Harvest Reporting Line at 1-877-FWP-WILD (397-9453) or (406) 444-0356 within 48 hours of the kill. For Quota Status call 1-800-385-7826 or (406) 444-1989."

Reading that without talking to anyone from FWP I'd guess and say that you can purchase them OTC up until May 1st.
That said, I've never personally tried the unlimited tags so I don't know for fact, I always put in for a limited tag, so maybe I'm missing something?? Not in any way wanting or trying to to argue just trying to help...... like Clarktar said the MT regs are a pain in the ass, and I've lived here my whole life!

Logan T

WKR
One other note for the original poster..... the guy I know that killed the book ram spent years and years in there looking before he found one he decided to take, and I know there are a couple drainages he finally decided to just flat out avoid because of the Griz problems. The guy hunts sheep every year between Alaska and Montana and between, so he has a lot of experience dealing with them, but there were at least 2 drainages he just got tired of playing with the bears in.

dotman

WKR
One other note for the original poster..... the guy I know that killed the book ram spent years and years in there looking before he found one he decided to take, and I know there are a couple drainages he finally decided to just flat out avoid because of the Griz problems. The guy hunts sheep every year between Alaska and Montana and between, so he has a lot of experience dealing with them, but there were at least 2 drainages he just got tired of playing with the bears in.

Which unit did he hunt, was it 501? I have been told the grizz are pretty much thick thru all 5 units.

Logan T

WKR
Which unit did he hunt, was it 501? I have been told the grizz are pretty much thick thru all 5 units.

Yes it was 501. He has chased sheep in 303, 500 and 501 for a long time, but you are right there are a lot griz down in that area. However I remember him saying that there were at least 2 specific areas (drainages) that he just got tired of playing games with bears in in 501- I can't remember the names right at this moment though. This was a couple years ago when he killed his ram though, so maybe things have changed. Last time I was up in 501 was 2 years ago and we didn't have problems with any bears.

If you dont see grizz down there, you're either not looking very hard, or youre damn lucky.

They're thick down there.

Ive talked to a lot of people that have hunted the quota units (all of them).

The one thing that each and every one says is the biggest hurdle is finding a legal ram. You may hunt the unit several years (or more) before you find sheep, and you'll still never see a legal ram.

I do plan on doing this hunt in the next couple years before I start applying for somewhere better and start accruing points.

I think if a guy picks a unit and sticks with it, hunts it for 10+ days every year for five years, he'll at least probably be in sheep regularly by year 4-5 and have a decent chance of taking one with a rifle.

Bow is another story.

Logan,

My bad, you are correct. Maybe my memory is completely failing, I thought you had to apply 1st choice on those.

Yes, there are shit load of bears in that country, if you're not comfortable with that I wouldn't waste my time.

OP
H
thanks for all the input guys. Currently i have yet to be in that area yet but plan on scouting all summer and plan on hunting it end of sept. Im not worry about the physical part of this hunt because ill be coming back from my guide season in Alaska. and as bears .338 bear spray should help.

Buster

WKR
Sounds like the unlimited tags are very similar to BC and Alberta OTC hunts. We do not have limits on harvest though. Unfortunately this does mean that most rams are killed the year they make it legal. The exceptions are the zones that border national parks and other sanctuary areas.

I am by no means a seasoned veteran, but here is what I've picked up over the years. In an OTC area, the best strategy is to get to know the patterns of the rams. They tend to be very habitual, using the same areas at the same time every year. (Unless extreme predatory or human pressure alters it). Many "sheep nuts" that I know will go back in to the same basins the same week of every year. They get to know particular bands well. If a ram is close to legal in one year, they are looking for him in that spot the next year.

Preseason scouting is obviously very important as well. If you can find a legal one before the season opens, stay on him until the opener. (Sometimes easier said than done).

The final tip that I think is very important is to know how to judge a legal ram. When we get a ram inspected, it goes on a "jig". Seeing this gives a guy a better understanding of what a legal ram looks like. Many guys that have never killed a legal ram pass on rams that would go legal by as much as an inch, simply because they are not sure and do not want to risk killing a ram that doesn't meet the requirement. Even if you see someone coming back down after looking at rams, go up and look for yourself if one looks close.

On the other end of the spectrum, I can imagine that some get shot that are short, again, because guys are not familiar with what makes a ram legal.

Go to taxidermist shops, check out other guy's mounts, and try to tag along when someone gets their ram inspected. The more you see, the better you'll be.

These are just a couple tips I've picked up from keeping my ear open when the old seasoned guys happen to speak up.