Moose hunt 2023: A father & son adventure

AKDoc

WKR
My son and I had a wonderful hunting adventure this year. I am very thankful that he was finally able to take a week away from work, and also thankful that he still enjoys spending time with his 71yo dad...we have always been very close.

We were delayed a day for put-in due to a celebration of life for an excellent and beloved man in our state...RIP Buzzy, I enjoyed meeting and joking around with you a couple years back when you picked-up our meat in the field.

Our hunting window was narrow given the time restraint (5-hunting days), but we were thankful for every moment. We were dropped in a remote setting with great visibility. On put-in day we got camp set-up and built a tented meat pole...
IMG_8639.jpeg
On hunting day-1... I called in a couple of bulls that morning. One was big, but he never gave a good positioning shot. I was proud of my son for not taking the shot. We talked it through several times that day, reaffirming that he did the right thing.

Fortunately, I called in that same bull that evening. He appeared 180yds out, visible through a gap of the willows/spruce, and my son dropped him in place with his 338-06. That was at 830pm, so we were up all night with headlamps getting him butchered, bagged, and hanging on the tented meat pole. We went to bed at 6:30am.

I don't post pictures of other people, so I don't have photos to share of him with his bull...those are for us. I do have some photos that will help you get a sense of the rack. It is a 62" 4x4...
IMG_8558.jpegIMG_8644.jpegIMG_7396.jpeg
There were moose all around us in this area.

For several logistical reasons we chose to spend our remaining four-days coaching my son as he learned/practiced calling techniques and observing moose behavior, which was a lot of fun for both of us. It was kind of an odd rut progression this year, but it happened during our window. He did a great job and called in at least a half-dozen bulls. I've included just a couple photos.

I took a video sequence of a bull with three cows coming to my son's calls from 300yds out...the bull did a head-swaying swagger past the tents at 30yds. Unfortunately, videos don't attach...
IMG_8528.jpeg IMG_8599.jpegIMG_8613.jpeg
These two paddle-heads came in to my son's calls on our last night, right next to our tented meat-pole...
IMG_8638.jpeg
Always thankful for the adventure, especially this year with my son...thank you to the higher power. We had a wonderful time together. As always, also very thankful for Wade Renfro and his hard working group of pilots and staff in the hangar...thank you guys.
IMG_7344.jpeg
My son and I are already planning to do a 10-day next year!

The very best to all of you for safe and wonderful hunting adventures!

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Glad you both had such a great adventure and success and appreciate you sharing your journey!

bmrfish

WKR
Outstanding Doc, looks like a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Thanks for the kind comments guys...it was a truly special trip for my son and I.

That is absolutely amazing. I truly wish my own father and I were able to make it up there to do a hunt. One day, hopefully.

But those photographs and that scenery, man that's awesome.

Mt Al

WKR
Love your stories and pictures and I hope your son knows how fortunate he is to have a close relationship with you! Sounds like a fantastic father/son trip!

AKBorn

WKR
Great story and pics Doc! Glad your son was able to join you this year, and sounds like you both have something to look forward to next Fall!

I look forward to this report every year Doc... awesome short hunt with some great puctures! Good times with your son, memories made and meat in the freezer. Can't hardly ask for more than that. Congrats again!

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
As I'm raising my kids now, these are the types of experiences I look forward to having in the future. What an amazing experience and true life trophy.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Thank you, thank you guys...very kind of you all. I'm glad you are enjoying what I shared of our father/son adventure. It was priceless for both of us.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
How fun! Any grizzly sightings? I love bear watching.
Thank you sir!

No bear sightings at that specific location...saw a predominantly white wolf last year. There are some black bears in that general area. My son got his first black bear and first grizzly with me, but those were other areas and hunts in past years.

Seen a lot of grizzlies primarily on remote fly-fishing floats...
IMG_3115.jpegIMG_6243 2.jpgIMG_6283 copy.jpg

Last edited: