Moose hunt 2023: A father & son adventure

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Some screen-shots of a video I had mentioned earlier of a bull that we had called doing a head swagger as he approached and passed nearby by our tents. He initially appeared about 300 hundred yards away with three cows, who are following at a distance outside the video frame to the left. We were doing cow calls.
IMG_8710.jpegIMG_8711.jpegIMG_8712.jpegIMG_8713.jpeg
After ten years of calling bulls in this particular GMU, I'm convinced that calling from camp is the way to go with the high moose densities, topography, and terrain found there. I'm also convinced that our tents are an attractant when calling. It's also way less of a b-buster hauling loads to the camp meat-pole after dropping those huge animals!

Last edited:

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Some screen-shots of a video I had mentioned earlier of a bull that we had called doing a head swagger as he approached and passed nearby by our tents. He initially appeared about 300 hundred yards away with three cows, who are following at a distance outside the video frame to the left. We were doing cow calls.
View attachment 609759View attachment 609760View attachment 609761View attachment 609762
After ten years of calling bulls in this particular GMU, I'm convinced that calling from camp is the way to go with the high moose densities, topography, and terrain found there. I'm also convinced that our tents are an attractant when calling. It's also way less of a b-buster hauling loads to the camp meat-pole after dropping those huge animals!
Having packed this year's bull 3 miles, I can't tell you how done doing that nonsense I am!

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Doc,

Glad you had a good hunt. Spending one on one time with your son makes it even more special. Tell your son congratulations on taking a really fine critter.

Thanks for sharing, it is appreciated.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Thanks guys for all the kind comments.

Dad hunting.jpeg
Thankful for the good wx on pick-up/take-out day...it's definitely not a guarantee each year! The tipi is always up and standing until the plane lands for the last man out, as well as enough other stuff to survive out there for a few more days if any one of a kazillion things happens to prevent return pick-up that day.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I hope you don’t mind me asking some questions. How long was the flight to the camp? How much meat did you net from the moose? How do you get all that meat back to your house?

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
I hope you don’t mind me asking some questions. How long was the flight to the camp? How much meat did you net from the moose? How do you get all that meat back to your house?
Don't mind your questions at all!

Our flight from Bethel to this specific camp is about 30mins +/-.

Proper meat care and enjoying moose meals is our top priority every year.

I'm a resident, so transporting meat back home is less complicated for me. We have our meat transported back to Anchorage via Evert's Air Cargo. The Renfro guys get it right over to Evert's when it comes out of the field and into the Evert's freezer in Bethel. Evert's transports it back to ANC and into their freezer in ANC, usually the next day. Our meat processor (Indian Valley Meats), picks-up our meat at Evert's in ANC...many times we are still in the field when the meat gets picked-up by them in ANC, so my wife is coordinating with them regarding our order. I've used Indian Valley Meats for over thirty years, and they are the very best in my opinion for several reasons. I used to do all the meat when I got back home, but I gave that up years ago because when I get home, I'm gas'ed and I need to transition back to work!

The bull this year was 625 lbs...419 lbs on the bone plus 206 lbs trimmed meat...and moose is excellent eating. I'm having moose stew for dinner tonite!

Edit: I added the photo of dinner tonite!
IMG_8729.jpeg

Last edited:

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Don't mind your questions at all!

Our flight from Bethel to this specific camp is about 30mins +/-.

Proper meat care and enjoying moose meals is our top priority every year.

I'm a resident, so transporting meat back home is less complicated for me. We have our meat transported back to Anchorage via Evert's Air Cargo. The Renfro guys get it right over to Evert's when it comes out of the field and into the Evert's freezer in Bethel. Evert's transports it back to ANC and into their freezer in ANC, usually the next day. Our meat processor (Indian Valley Meats), picks-up our meat at Evert's in ANC...many times we are still in the field when the meat gets picked-up by them in ANC, so my wife is coordinating with them regarding our order. I've used Indian Valley Meats for over thirty years, and they are the very best in my opinion for several reasons. I used to do all the meat when I got back home, but I gave that up years ago because when I get home, I'm gas'ed and I need to transition back to work!

The bull this year was 625 lbs...419 lbs on the bone plus 206 lbs trimmed meat...and moose is excellent eating. I'm having moose stew for dinner tonite!

Edit: I added the photo of dinner tonite!
View attachment 613309
+100.
I've had Indian Valley do a bunch of fish and game over the last 8 years and am always happy with their quality. They've got my bull this year as I was just too burnt to do it myself.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for the explanation. That is quite a process. I have always been curious about how all that worked out in the bush.

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Thankfully, my freezers are now full...time to share with loved ones and friends, which we do every year.
IMG_8774.jpegIMG_8775.jpeg

I'm confident that we hunters always gladly share with those who appreciate and value wild game...

bmrfish

WKR
Full freezer might even be more satisfying than a big wood pile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Our preference for a two-person camp...SO 4-person tipi for gear stash and day/eating shelter when needed (otherwise sitting outside)...and then each having a two-person tent (Hilleberg Staika's in this pic) for sleeping solo and a good night's sleep:
IMG_7282.jpeg
This is fly-in day...still getting camp set-up!

Last edited:

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
AKDoc, always a pleasure seeing your posts and your ability to draw in the reader with the purity of your stories. The way you write just reminds me of how nostalgic memories unfold 10 years later when all the negative fades. Yes it is not ten years of washing away the bad - you merely embrace the positive.

Keep sharing the adventures, your thoughts and lifting us along the way

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
AKDoc, always a pleasure seeing your posts and your ability to draw in the reader with the purity of your stories. The way you write just reminds me of how nostalgic memories unfold 10 years later when all the negative fades. Yes it is not ten years of washing away the bad - you merely embrace the positive.

Keep sharing the adventures, your thoughts and lifting us along the way
Very kind of you, sir. Thank you...and the best to you in your future adventures!